Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cygnus X
+1

and dang it josh you beat me by a point :-D guess i forgive as you figured out a killer setup...and for that i thank you

HB...AWESOME CAR !!!! cant say that enough ...but please we need parts...one of the d413 driver had to switch to his backup(b44) as he stripped the spur....a spur should not be the end of a race
Ahh what's 1 point between friends, right. . Glad my setup has worked for you and others. That Mason kid was crazy fast with his D413, once he gets consistency he will be a serious force to be reckoned with.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yes I found out that the associated b5 /b5m V2 plastic caps fit this car. So I used then on my build with the associated b5 /b5m shock mount hardware (plastic shock mounts). I used just a standard style o ring as well with no leaks as of yet , but have not ran the car due to missing hing pins from factory.make sure you only use the plastic v2 caps as the aluminum ones don't quite thread on but the plastic ones do ,the threads must be just slightly off so the plastic conforms to the HB threads very easily .Also it looks to be the same height as the stock cap so droop setting should not be affected.Be sure to measure the caps heights and set droop accordingly.

Originally Posted by nicmo
has anyone found a solution for the shock caps? the plastic ones do tend to pop out None of the caps i tried fit (xb4, 22).
Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

i just finished a big race at norcal hobbies running josh close's setup, the car took hell of a beating, with nothing broken ! it was EASY to drive not twitchy, and not once did it fishtail under power

some people drop in a super fast servo with 0.08 and lower times, this can easily make the car twitchy

i went up from 10K in the front diff to 15K (mugen) which calmed it down and made it easier to drive, without loosing steering or anything...if you feel like you want more steering remove front sway bar

i know Josh, when he set up his cars, he strives to make a car easy and fast.

we both run team powers radon pro 140A and 6.5T team powers motors, i opted for a fan on my motor....my esc fan did fail and esc came off at a whopping 150F auch !!!!

Norcal hobbies track had a brand new layout, and the buggy took quite a few nasty hits, something that for sure would have killed a b44 (mostly snapped a-arms) a couple of time i had to land on full power to correct for a mistake...no problem, one of the spectaters saw this, and said that would have stripped his 44 ring and pinion

this buggy is loud, and yes it is the center diff, well not the diff part but rather the spur...my buggy screams, the 2 other HB in this race where doing the same...so its normal.

im actually quite proud to be in the a-amain with the pro drivers (think there was 4 of them) i got screwed over a couple of times by some of the pro drivers who didnt have time for people to move over and decided to drive through them....(i thought they would have a more sportsman like behavior, especially when they are mixed with local club racers)

sworkz black thick wing, works great on this buggy, it will be the last wing you buy

i had a ton of fun, and want to thank norcal hobbies for a great race, thanks josh, vasutin, kathy, and HB for this awesome car....all the fast guys want's one now :-) which is great as we will get better parts support at the store.
can someone post a link to Josh's setup?
thanks
Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Here you go:
http://www.petitrc.com/setup/hotbodi...ies2014050507/

I made some slight tweaks for the Champs race and will have that setup posted soon. They are:

0mm inside rear camber link, no front sway, cut red AKA foams with SS dirt-webs and wing in hi position.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LT FAB
Yes I found out that the associated b5 /b5m V2 plastic caps fit this car. So I used then on my build with the associated b5 /b5m shock mount hardware (plastic shock mounts). I used just a standard style o ring as well with no leaks as of yet , but have not ran the car due to missing hing pins from factory.make sure you only use the plastic v2 caps as the aluminum ones don't quite thread on but the plastic ones do ,the threads must be just slightly off so the plastic conforms to the HB threads very easily .Also it looks to be the same height as the stock cap so droop setting should not be affected.Be sure to measure the caps heights and set droop accordingly.
"plastic conforms to the HB threads"? they don't leak, but you haven't run the buggy yet? no thanks. i'd wait until after you've run it a few times before declaring definitively that they "work".
Old 06-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
"plastic conforms to the HB threads"? they don't leak, but you haven't run the buggy yet? no thanks. i'd wait until after you've run it a few times before declaring definitively that they "work".
I tried the B5 caps before seeing this post. The HB caps have a more course thread then a lot of the compitition out there. Ive tried losi and AE as they were available at the time. The next ones im going to try is the serpent caps. They seem to have similar thread type to the HB. I will report my finding once I know more.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Week 3 update
I bought some stiffer springs in the rear. that really livened up the steering. Hard to tell how changes are working week to week because the track I race on changes so much with weather and water conditions, but it felt better. Lap times were about the same.

I had my first DNF in the A2 main. Broke the rear outer ballcup. I think it cracked after a violent cartwheel style crash, then broke on the next heavy landing. Fortunately an extra one came with the kit so I am still operational!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rasheed
Week 3 update
I bought some stiffer springs in the rear. that really livened up the steering. Hard to tell how changes are working week to week because the track I race on changes so much with weather and water conditions, but it felt better. Lap times were about the same.

I had my first DNF in the A2 main. Broke the rear outer ballcup. I think it cracked after a violent cartwheel style crash, then broke on the next heavy landing. Fortunately an extra one came with the kit so I am still operational!
i too, broke the same ball cup this weekend. happened in warmups. i was on my lid (and didn't call it out, my fault) and someone missled into my buggy. snapped it in half. was stoked to find out the kit came with an extra and i was back up and running for the main.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

...some people drop in a super fast servo with 0.08 and lower times, this can easily make the car twitchy...
I agree... I first put in a servo with .08 travel time (less than that since it is running a bit over voltage with the BEC turned up), decided to try a high torque servo (about .13 travel time), and it is much smoother and easier to drive.

sworkz black thick wing, works great on this buggy, it will be the last wing you buy....
I am trying one of those too.... I think it may need to be cut down a bit across the back though.... seems to jump a bit more nose up than it did with the stock wing (which was cut down). Buggy jumped real flat with the stock wing in the low position.... If only the sworks wing would work in the low position.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

I'm running 7/10/2 in my diff gears at my local indoor and it works great. The Ty setup of 100k fluid made it wheely like crazy. The one issue I'm having is very twitchy steering even with a black from bar and no rear sway bar. Will going up in the front diff fluid doing anything with calming the steering on power down?
Old 06-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

I set my car up according to the manual, and it really jumps nose low. Its always trying to endo. Other than that it drives awesome.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlderBoy
Ahh what's 1 point between friends, right. . Glad my setup has worked for you and others. That Mason kid was crazy fast with his D413, once he gets consistency he will be a serious force to be reckoned with.
He had consistency when he whipped my butt....
Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Same here. I landed wrong and broke the rear outer camber link ball cup in half. Thankfully the spare was in the kit. This was my first time out with the car on dirt and the rear was really loose with the Ty OCRC setup and dirt web golds in the rear.

Track report:
Motor Temps: You can't run 15-20 minute like a 2wd buggy. Mine creeped into 165 territory even with vented body
ESC Temps: Much higher than I am used to on my 44.2. I hit 150 on the ESC. Wondering if this is because the esc is behind the motor receiving the hot air from ahead. I need to put the fan on the ESC next time.
Pinion: Started with a 23 and went down to a 19 on my 6.5T LRP motor and that seemed to be ok. EPA came down to 85
ESC Settings: One step above blinky on timing, no drag brake, low brake strength.

Almost stripped the spur gear under hard braking. Its seems to have high spots so this is one spare part that is really critical right now. My mesh was very inconsistent so spin the spur for a full circle mesh check.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

i just finished a big race at norcal hobbies running josh close's setup, the car took hell of a beating, with nothing broken ! it was EASY to drive not twitchy, and not once did it fishtail under power

some people drop in a super fast servo with 0.08 and lower times, this can easily make the car twitchy

i went up from 10K in the front diff to 15K (mugen) which calmed it down and made it easier to drive, without loosing steering or anything...if you feel like you want more steering remove front sway bar

i know Josh, when he set up his cars, he strives to make a car easy and fast.

we both run team powers radon pro 140A and 6.5T team powers motors, i opted for a fan on my motor....my esc fan did fail and esc came off at a whopping 150F auch !!!!

Norcal hobbies track had a brand new layout, and the buggy took quite a few nasty hits, something that for sure would have killed a b44 (mostly snapped a-arms) a couple of time i had to land on full power to correct for a mistake...no problem, one of the spectaters saw this, and said that would have stripped his 44 ring and pinion

this buggy is loud, and yes it is the center diff, well not the diff part but rather the spur...my buggy screams, the 2 other HB in this race where doing the same...so its normal.

im actually quite proud to be in the a-amain with the pro drivers (think there was 4 of them) i got screwed over a couple of times by some of the pro drivers who didnt have time for people to move over and decided to drive through them....(i thought they would have a more sportsman like behavior, especially when they are mixed with local club racers)

sworkz black thick wing, works great on this buggy, it will be the last wing you buy

i had a ton of fun, and want to thank norcal hobbies for a great race, thanks josh, vasutin, kathy, and HB for this awesome car....all the fast guys want's one now :-) which is great as we will get better parts support at the store.

I just put this setup on my car... Few questions. He calls for a gold sway bar, did he mean the copper? Also... Also calls for 3 hole 1.3 pistons. Did he mean the 4 or did he glue a hole closed?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by STLNLST
He had consistency when he whipped my butt....
He is consistently fast that is for sure. He was pushing hard and crashed a lot at Champs, but who wouldn't with those class of drivers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.