The Vetarra Glamis Uno Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

be nice if someone like strc could make an aluminum one
Old 02-02-2014, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

I mentioned that to Horizon when I was on the phone with them since they offer some aluminum parts for the Twin Hammers. The same camber mount is being used in the new Fear so it will be a current part for a while.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm really liking the looks of this buggy. Like a down-sized version of a Baja 5b. Having stepped out of the hobby for about a year or so, getting ready to go to Monterey in a few weeks and have always wanted something to play on the beach and dune areas with. I sold my radio and now just have an EXO Terra sitting on the shelf at home with a MMP, Reedy 3500kv 4-pole motor, and top of the line steering servo which just needs some new turnbuckles. I can't decide whether I want to buy a new radio, turnbuckles and a few upgrades to get the EXO back up and running, possibly even due the 2wd dune mod to it. Or whether I just want to scrap that idea and go pickup one of these with some rear paddles. Not worried about the spur/pinion issue as 2s is fast enough for me. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

After some more research I think I will pull the trigger on an Uno here in the next week or so. Will pickup a set of rear paddles and wheels to make it strictly a dune machine. Looks like price keeps dropping and can pick one up for $250. Also might go ahead as well and pickup a replacement pair of front shocks as I hear the pistons on the stockers are a weak spot.

Would also like to see Proline come out with a protective body undertray from this thing similar to the one for the Baja 5b. From looking at the Uno it would basically just need to be a downsized version.

I've always run 2S batts as in the past raced mostly and didn't bash much, and it was fast enough for me. I know though that sand eats horsepower so maybe I might consider trying the 3S out in the dunes.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

It's a good choice and a great deal. Grab an extra spur gear and rear camber mount when you can.

Dem LEDs!
Attached Thumbnails The Vetarra Glamis Uno Thread-img_2170.jpg  
Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Still have not received the new camber mount but I got a tip to move the ball links to the empty sway bar screw holes on the back of the battery tray. It puts the linkage at an odd angle but it works! My Glamis Uno is back in action.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Ryan hooked me up with the redesigned spur and camber mount months ago before they were released. I've yet to break either. I'm really surprised I haven't stripped the new spur by now. With 3S and 2.8" badlands and now sand paws (which are enormous - i thought the badlands were big...), I really keep expecting to hear all the teeth get ripped off like many times before, but it doesn't happen. I guess 48 pitch does work. I have noticed, however, that the vaterra pinions are wider than most. I use one in my wraith for that reason.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor upgrade suggestions for Vaterra Glamis Uno

I recently picked up a Vaterra Glamis Uno as my first RC car in over a 5 year hiatus from them. The price was right for the vehicle RTR and made it easy to come back into RC's. I like to customize and speed up any RC I get so coming into the vehicle at a low price point and reading good reviews on it I figured it should work out great as a starter car.

The first thing that I would like to do however is swap out the motor for a little faster setup, I would also swap out the esc if the stock one will not work with whatever motor is suggested. My price point is roughly $200 for motor/esc combo and would like to run 3S batteries unless there is a reason to go 2S. In particular I'm currently looking at some Castle 3800kv and 4600kv motors but I'm not all that familiar with brushless setups and don't really know at what point im going to destroy the drivetrain in the Glamis Uno. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Ryan needs to hook a brotha up! What is this new gear and camber mount you speak of? When will they be available? Will they have new part numbers? Are these new parts going to replace the parts that are backordered now? Inquiring minds want to know!

Pictures would be nice too. Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by el.av8r
I recently picked up a Vaterra Glamis Uno as my first RC car in over a 5 year hiatus from them. The price was right for the vehicle RTR and made it easy to come back into RC's. I like to customize and speed up any RC I get so coming into the vehicle at a low price point and reading good reviews on it I figured it should work out great as a starter car.

The first thing that I would like to do however is swap out the motor for a little faster setup, I would also swap out the esc if the stock one will not work with whatever motor is suggested. My price point is roughly $200 for motor/esc combo and would like to run 3S batteries unless there is a reason to go 2S. In particular I'm currently looking at some Castle 3800kv and 4600kv motors but I'm not all that familiar with brushless setups and don't really know at what point im going to destroy the drivetrain in the Glamis Uno. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Any higher KV than the 3300 that is in it now is going to be more suitable for 2S operation. That's the exact same upgrade that I'm looking into for mine. I don't want to run mine on 3S until we get word of an improved spur gear being available. I'd rather just get a faster motor for 2S. Those Castle motors seem like fine choices and the 3800 should work pretty well with the stock or a slightly smaller pinion. The 4600 will definitely need a smaller pinion with a couple less teeth but I have no idea what the limit is on this buggy at this time.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Amain is blowing them out at $299, if anyone cares.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks!

One of my LHS's has 3 of them for that price too and won't come off them for Horizon's new price of $249. They'll probably have to eventually though as people are simply more savvy about prices these days, what with the interwebz and all.

Raining here and has been since this morning. No RC action today. Had some fun over the weekend though. Nothing broken or stripped! Woohoo!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, this rear camber mount thing is getting ridiculous. It has been backordered for over a month now. I called them back in January and was told they would send me a replacement. That never happened. I've never had so much trouble finding a part for a vehicle that is still in production. This is lame.

The spur gears are backordered too but they keep using the same gear in their new trucks. I don't need one yet but I'd like to have a spare anyway since there are no other options available.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Finally, we have a solution. An aluminum rear camber mount from Horizon! Woohoo!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ge-_-VTR344001
Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

I finally bit the bullet and caved into Vaterra. The company is like a mix of Tamiya's awesome scale details and with the power of mid level Traxxas/HPI RTR stuff which is okay. And at least online their parts are starting to become easier to get I've noticed....

Vaterra certainly has some cajones they are attacking almost every surface r/c market. Crawlers, rock racers, monster trucks, entry level TC's, brushless RTR entry level TC's, rally raid trucks, rally cars, very detailed bodies attacking old school muscle and new school super cars. I think this company is surely going to give Traxxas a good run for their money.

HPI and Axial have been a little quiet lately....wonder what's next!

But heck I love sandrails and I couldn't justify myself to get the Glamis FEAR with a tag of $420 although it's definitely a lot more realistic looking with the exact same electronics...

Not to say the Uno isn't a bad contender though for a similar chassis much similar to a 1/5 Baja layout plus rear CVD's?! WATERPROOF?! 1/8?! SOME NEW SORT OF LSD DIFF?! for $220 shipped....unbelievable.

I'm hoping my Sand Paws and Razor setup off my SC10b will look okay on the Uno on beach runs since I cannot find Vaterra's 50mm paddles anywhere in stock!

Since this is an 1/8 2wd buggy I am assuming the hexes are 17mm right?? And the Proline color matched beadlocks with my sand setup on the SC10b is 12mm...ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.