Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Vetarra Glamis Uno Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default The Vetarra Glamis Uno Thread

I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with their spur gear.

I am running on 3s with the 20 tooth pinion gear. I cannot get a spur gear to last a full pack. My mesh is spot on (been in the hobby for 10 years now) I cleaned the gear area with compressed air and a toothbrush when changing gears, and I backed off my slipper at least one full turn, but I can't get over 5 minutes before completely destroying my spur gears.

Has anyone else been having similar issues?? Does anyone else run a different slipper assembly to avoid this?? (Kyosho/Losi/Associated)
Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Prolly need the slipper more lose!!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It's "Vaterra" in case you want to do a search or something, you can change the title of your post, it would also help people find this thread. I was surprised to not find a Vaterra Glamis "specific" thread here at RCtech. There is a Vaterra thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...new-brand.html however with a post about the same issue,
Originally Posted by chasingthepack
ive had the glamis for a few weeks and im on my 5th spur gear,they cant take the 3s lipo power,the motor gets hot,the heat transfers through to the pinion gear and when you stop for a minute and then hit the throttle the heat softens the plastic spur and strips it clean,it initially knocks off 3 teeth but then as you nail it it cleans them off,ive complained to horizon hobby and spoke to garry but havent had a reply,great custormer service eh!,ill be back on the phone again as it really needs a alu or delrin spur as an upgrade for 3s use its fine on 2s or 3s on medium power,but give it the full monty and 20 minutes later your left bloody dissapointed again,then have to wait a week for more parts to arrive,any one else sufferd the same problem? i have sort of cured it by taking the gear cover off to allow the slipper clutch and gears to cool with the airflow
As for your spur gear problem I did take a minute to search the web but didn't find much info. I would try backing off the slipper until you hear it slipping too much then tighten it back up a bit at a time.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

I also read that motor heat from the pinion will soften it as well, only problem in I haven't been able to run it long enough to put any decent heat into the motor (a tad above 100*)

After taking a close look, Vaterra really went proprietary stuff. The top input shaft has 3 splines (triangle) instead of having an oval like the other non-pinned slipper assemblies.

While I had the trans out of the car I decided to check the internal gears as well, and found that the ring gear (vtr242008) has two teeth chipped off as well. When the new parts come in I'll pack the trans with black grease. There was no lubrication on any of the metal on metal parts.

So now I have 3 spur gears and 1 ring gear on the way and hopefully I can get the bugs worked out.

Oh ya, my front shock shaft got sheered off as well yesterday. I couldn't find any Ti shafts that Vetarra offeres for the Glamis, but the rear exo-terra shocks (ax30092) fits on the front perfectly, just re-use the lower hiem joint on the rod end.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Got my new parts in and replaced the ring gear inside the trans. Also looking closer it appears the spur gear has melted, and deformed enough to cause the gear to shift, which then caused the change in gear mesh and leading to all the teeth getting shredded off. I was able to recover the metal disks, but the pads had to have been sacrificed to get them.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Tech Initiate

I have the answer for the spur gear issue. Mod 1 gearing is the answer. I will be posting the mod soon.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You might have the slipper to loose and with all that power, the slipper is generating alot of heat and is softening the spur to the point the pinion just destroys it. I learned the hard way with my T4 with a 7700. I tighten the slipper and the problem was solved.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by thepiper92
I have the answer for the spur gear issue. Mod 1 gearing is the answer. I will be posting the mod soon.
Mod 1 is a no go for this car. The input shaft has 3 splines for where the slipper hub assembly floats in. No one else has a 3 spline input shaft to my knowledge, unless someone is making a conversion kit that I'm not aware of.

Originally Posted by rc10t3b4
You might have the slipper to loose and with all that power, the slipper is generating alot of heat and is softening the spur to the point the pinion just destroys it. I learned the hard way with my T4 with a 7700. I tighten the slipper and the problem was solved.
On 3s I found that going snug then backing off 1/2 turn is the sweet spot.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wolfman864
Mod 1 is a no go for this car. The input shaft has 3 splines for where the slipper hub assembly floats in. No one else has a 3 spline input shaft to my knowledge, unless someone is making a conversion kit that I'm not aware of.

On 3s I found that going snug then backing off 1/2 turn is the sweet spot.

I will be post the mod soon. I don't know how many posts I need before I can post links from photobucket and such. Do you know? Mod 1 does work though, I have been using it for two months. Right now, I'll say that it just requires a mod 1 spur gear, six screws, light dremeling, and a bit of modification to the motor mount to allow the motor to move back further for larger gears.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Tech Initiate

And the thread is up

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ng-thread.html
Old 08-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default The Vetarra Glamis Uno Thread

Whilst the lace front wigs are still a fairly new idea,wigs have been around but were not accepted as a style of a way to re-work on the appearance.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Adelaide1
Whilst the lace front wigs are still a fairly new idea,wigs have been around but were not accepted as a style of a way to re-work on the appearance.

que?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adelaide1
Haha I've seen guys post on the wrong thread by accident but this guy got the wrong site and everything lol.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Lol
Old 08-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We have been looking into the spur as we had no issues during testing. We have some options being tested by a few users that hit me up so I will try to give updates as I get them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.