Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I guess you guys can tell by how popular this thread isn't
Old 05-06-2013, 07:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up Nice!

Originally Posted by -WHEELMAN-
TLR has not offically released a kit yet but since the Losi conversion kit from the 1.0/2.0 works on the 3.0, I am guessing soon there will be lots of guys running an 8ight E 3.0. Therefore, I decided to start a thread.

Their is already guys asking in the 3.0 thread within the nitro section so us E guys now have a place to ask these specific questions the nitro guys might not be familure with. I will be updating this first post often with all the latest and greatest setups and tips. Feel free to PM me with content you would like to see here within the first few posts.

In the mean time below are some pictures of my freshly built 8ight E 3.0.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 267 (98%+)

Originally Posted by 1badgoat
Yes. Worth it.
Originally Posted by GrimReminder
I have to be totally honest here.....

No. The new losi 3.0 is not worth it in my honest opinion. For the money that Losi is charging you can buy a Mugen MBX7 or a Tekno EB48 for way less money and the quality is by far better than Losi. Don't get me wrong here, this is a nice buggy, even better than the 2.0, but for the money there are better options out there than this kit for sure.
Originally Posted by XXXDad
So you OWN a TLR 3.0... and you must want to sell it now!
Originally Posted by shawn213
i have the 3.0 and the tekno eb48 i just like the feel of the 3.0 on the track a little better.
Originally Posted by GrimReminder
I don't own a 3.0 but my brother does, and for the money you spend on the 3.0 and then to convert it you could buy a EB48 and put a tekin motor and esc combo in there. Just saying...
Originally Posted by streetsports
I guess you guys can tell by how popular this thread isn't
First of all thanks XXX I LOVE MY CAR! SECOND THE 3.0 IS WORTH IT FOR SOME AND NOT OTHERS LIKE ALL CARS! If your no super serious or dont have the money maybe not. But for me I run indoor and outdoor, have tons of TLR support here in Southern California, and dont care about spending the money for it so heck yes its worth it to me! The 3.0 works amazing indoor and out. Parts are easy to get and setup is cake. I think this car is the easiest to wrench on to. My two cents!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Wink So I just pulled the trigger it's on the way, and have a few questions

Wheelman where did you get and what size are those little red spacer on the steering link.
Did you get the next stiffer springs for the rear as is common in most E Buggy transformations, you are adding weight going to Electric.
Is there some setups available in PDF for this car?
Did it come with any Alu. hop up's? I see some on your car. ( LRC rear pivot) ( Rear Alu. Hubbs)
What dif. oil and shock oil are you using now Please!
Some people are dedicated to one Label, I chose Losi TLR long ago.
I admire there engineering and quality, they handle well and are very tunable.
If your a Hekno fan boy coming here to bash TLR... move on.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Wheelman where did you get and what size are those little red spacer on the steering link.
Did you get the next stiffer springs for the rear as is common in most E Buggy transformations, you are adding weight going to Electric.
Did it come with any Alu. hop up's? I see some on your car. ( LRC rear pivot) ( Rear Alu. Hubbs)
nobody's bashing the slowsi. just saying that it's a lot of money to make the conversion yourself right now. someone asked if it was worth it and others chimed in. i don't think anyone said the 3.0 wasn't a nice buggy.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

They are two 3x3mm spacers. Some center hole 3mm spacers center holes are not large enough to get over the (I believe) 5/40 grub screw used between the steering link knuckles. I think the anodizing is thicker on some? The ones I used are Racers Edge.

I didnt go stiffer on spring due to me running the Reedy wolf packs (3700mah) which are very light. It is very close in weight to a nitro car. I also run a 1700kv which produces close to the same power as a nitro car. Has plenty of speed (17-tooth pinion) without the crazy bottom typically found in most E buggies.

All I added was the upper steering plate, servo saver arm, and the rear hubs. It comes with the captured hinge pin braces as shown. This car has some good stuff from the 2.0 and nothing was overlooked. I think the price is worth the extras you get. Compared to the 2.0.

I will get my setup on here soon. It is good but I know it can be better and want to perfect it first.

I attached two setups. One is Adam Drake and one is Ronda Drake. Adam's setup I noticed is for a more experienced driver but can produce fast times. Ronda's setup is easier to drive and can be pushed a little easier but wont be as fast of a hero lap. Keep in mind these are general setups on nitro cars (so keep weight in mind) and wont be perfect everywhere.

Sorry you cant see them to good ill get some better ones up!

Last edited by -WHEELMAN-; 05-06-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

the lrc rear pivot is factory along with a bunch of things that were hop up parts on the 2.0 but looking at the pics he has alum. rear hubs , servo arm and the alum. upper servo saver all of witch are option parts
Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
nobody's bashing the slowsi. just saying that it's a lot of money to make the conversion yourself right now. someone asked if it was worth it and others chimed in. i don't think anyone said the 3.0 wasn't a nice buggy.
Yep what he said. I'm not bashing the losi at all. Just saying its a lot of money to run it as a ebug at this point in time.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Going to pull the trigger on one tomorrow. Pretty pumped!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by English365
Going to pull the trigger on one tomorrow. Pretty pumped!
You will love it! If you plan to never run nitro you can sell all the nitro goodies to pay for the e conversion. I sold all my nitro stuff for 90 dollars in the for sale section.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thumbs up Silly nitro Boys

Originally Posted by -WHEELMAN-
You will love it! If you plan to never run nitro you can sell all the nitro goodies to pay for the e conversion. I sold all my nitro stuff for 90 dollars in the for sale section.
Great Idea! Mine gets here today!! Building tonight... well starting!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 266 (100%+)

Hey guys I have 2 losi 8ight 3.0 and I'm turning one into electric but I have a few questions and hope you guys can help me. I have the Tekin Rx8 combo 1900kv and installing the losi 8ight electric conversion kit all new. I also have the Gens 5000mah-40c-14.8v-4s1p hard case lipo battery. I'm new to electric and would like to try it out. My questions are

1. On the electric convention is there any mod I need to know or do I install everything that's in the package?

2. Do I use the 48t aluminum losi center spur gear that came with the buggy or should I use the one that came in the electric conversion package?

3. What pinion gear should I use? Package came with 2 different pinion gear.

4. Is there a soldering iron that I can buy and is not expensive that would do the job to solder the wires like the hakko or trakpower stations? I don't solder much so I don't think I need a soldering station unless its recommended.

5. What wire gauge should I buy? Tekin only sends 3 wires. I need the motor wire.

Sorry for all these questions. I want to get everything right and not mess the tekin combo up. Links, pics and any tips would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD-image.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All I got to say is that the 3.0 is very worth it handles great. Especially since the man himself Steve O'Donnell design the car that just tells you its got to be a great car. I will agree tekno and mugen are priced better and might be better for SOME PEOPLE.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wheelman... What body do you have on you car it looks great!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by guss2009
Hey guys I have 2 losi 8ight 3.0 and I'm turning one into electric but I have a few questions and hope you guys can help me. I have the Tekin Rx8 combo 1900kv and installing the losi 8ight electric conversion kit all new. I also have the Gens 5000mah-40c-14.8v-4s1p hard case lipo battery. I'm new to electric and would like to try it out. My questions are

1. On the electric convention is there any mod I need to know or do I install everything that's in the package?

2. Do I use the 48t aluminum losi center spur gear that came with the buggy or should I use the one that came in the electric conversion package?

3. What pinion gear should I use? Package came with 2 different pinion gear.

4. Is there a soldering iron that I can buy and is not expensive that would do the job to solder the wires like the hakko or trakpower stations? I don't solder much so I don't think I need a soldering station unless its recommended.

5. What wire gauge should I buy? Tekin only sends 3 wires. I need the motor wire.

Sorry for all these questions. I want to get everything right and not mess the tekin combo up. Links, pics and any tips would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.
1. everything in the package is used. No mods necessary.
2. use the plastic 45t spur that comes in the conversion.
3. you get a 15 and a 16 tooth. generally the 15 is good in most places.
4. get the orange weller iron. cheap and HOT. i've always used it. here's a link - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FQTd4AodhlcApA
5. you should have enough wire to get it all done with what they send, but if you need more, buy 12 gauge.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.