Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hobbyking 60A ESC

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Im running the turnigy 35a paired with the turnigy 10t brushless setup in the traxxas stampede....it has its ups and downs i guess and heres what i mean: without the program card,its hard to tune and adjust that esc.When running a 3cell,you have to disable the esc fan so you dont damage the fan.It has a problem with reception,it seems to lose signal randomly..BUT.........the fan on 2cells,or nimh is awesome! keeps the esc really cool,it works extemely well with the turnigy motor,doesnt get the motor extremely hot even on 3cell lipo,its got quite a bit of power in it as well.....plus....its really cheap to get and you dont have to spend alot if your just looking to goof off with it
Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I'm interested if anyone has opened up a Hobbyking or Turnigy ESC and compared it to an equivalent Hobbywing.

People seem to assume they are all the same, but different manufacturers can spec what sort of components go inside it. If its the same, thats super awesome and I'll pick one up, but I would not be surprised if the Hobbyking/Turnigy are using lower rated/quality FETs, caps/resistors, etc.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Truth Isnt Here
Im running the turnigy 35a paired with the turnigy 10t brushless setup in the traxxas stampede....it has its ups and downs i guess and heres what i mean: without the program card,its hard to tune and adjust that esc.When running a 3cell,you have to disable the esc fan so you dont damage the fan.It has a problem with reception,it seems to lose signal randomly..BUT.........the fan on 2cells,or nimh is awesome! keeps the esc really cool,it works extemely well with the turnigy motor,doesnt get the motor extremely hot even on 3cell lipo,its got quite a bit of power in it as well.....plus....its really cheap to get and you dont have to spend alot if your just looking to goof off with it
i have had the other no name yellow case xerun copies and plugged the bottom board into the top xerun board and it worked perfect , i no ececs expert but everything inside them looke pretty similar to me . that esc still runs perfect about a year later . ive also used the purple bullistorm copies wwith great results and no issues , these one's started out cheap but are now the same price if not more than xerun , the hobbyking ones will probably be great and the cheapest yet !!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm interested if anyone has opened up a Hobbyking or Turnigy ESC and compared it to an equivalent Hobbywing.

People seem to assume they are all the same, but different manufacturers can spec what sort of components go inside it. If its the same, thats super awesome and I'll pick one up, but I would not be surprised if the Hobbyking/Turnigy are using lower rated/quality FETs, caps/resistors, etc.
I've got one coming so once it arrives, I will try to get both apart and take photos of each to compare. From what I've heard they are very similar in performance and appearance. Also run on the same hobbywing software so fingers crossed they are great. Ill keep you posted though!

Originally Posted by gogi108
i have had the other no name yellow case xerun copies and plugged the bottom board into the top xerun board and it worked perfect , i no ececs expert but everything inside them looke pretty similar to me . that esc still runs perfect about a year later . ive also used the purple bullistorm copies wwith great results and no issues , these one's started out cheap but are now the same price if not more than xerun , the hobyking ones will probably be great and the cheapest yet !!!!
+1, if they are as good as what I've heard and run on the same software I can't see a better speedy for $ on the market. I'm also curious if they run with the hobbyking software I'm assuming it will also run with the Professional program card also?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by girmann
I'll try it this afternoon and let you know how it goes! Thanks for the link! (my google fu is failing me!)
Did you get a chance to try the HW software? Any feedback?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowman_evil
I've got one coming so once it arrives, I will try to get both apart and take photos of each to compare. From what I've heard they are very similar in performance and appearance. Also run on the same hobbywing software so fingers crossed they are great. Ill keep you posted though!

+1, if they are as good as what I've heard and run on the same software I can't see a better speedy for $ on the market. I'm also curious if they run with the hobbyking software I'm assuming it will also run with the Professional program card also?
Sounds great, definitely keep us in on the loop if they're using the exact same internal components or not.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Tech Rookie

It worked great! I changed a whole bunch of settings and they all seemed to take. (Though setting Break and reverse is more obvious than changing timing). The only think I didn't try was updating firmware. I assume that works, but didn't want to brick my ESC...

I'm in the middle of assembling some photos so that someone else can compare them to the Hobbywing ESC..

I'll post them when I get a chance...

Did you get a chance to try the HW software? Any feedback?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Some pictures

Here's what it looks like out of the box. Shouldn't be too hard to take apart...
Attached Thumbnails Hobbyking 60A ESC-img_0496.jpg   Hobbyking 60A ESC-img_0497.jpg   Hobbyking 60A ESC-img_0491.jpg   Hobbyking 60A ESC-img_0493.jpg  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

It worked great! I changed a whole bunch of settings and they all seemed to take. (Though setting Break and reverse is more obvious than changing timing). The only think I didn't try was updating firmware. I assume that works, but didn't want to brick my ESC...

I'm in the middle of assembling some photos so that someone else can compare them to the Hobbywing ESC..

I'll post them when I get a chance...
Here's what it looks like out of the box. Shouldn't be too hard to take apart...
Great work mate! Thank you for taking the time to do that

There you have it guys, clearly it's pretty much a copy if it takes the same software. Glad to hear it works as I have ordered mine and awaiting its arrival. Definitely something I will be doing further testing on once it arrives. And to see if it works with the HW professional programming box and works with the HW blinky mode.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Hmm...

Turns out the crimps on the fan wires aren't up to snuff, so if you take it apart, just be careful...

Here are the shots below. Looks like the 60A and the 120A are identical, except for the missing components on the upper board.

Inside the ESC, there is a two board "sandwich". The lower board looks like all the logic. The upper board are just FETs. There are also some spots where there is a FET missing. I'm curious if I could just buy the right FETs, solder them in and have a 120A ESC...

Anyway, since I have no Hobbywing to compare it to, it's impossible for me to know whether it's a clone or the real thing. Anyone open the Hobbywing version?
Attached Thumbnails Hobbyking 60A ESC-img_0499.jpg   Hobbyking 60A ESC-img_0500.jpg   Hobbyking 60A ESC-img_0501.jpg   Hobbyking 60A ESC-img_0502.jpg   Hobbyking 60A ESC-img_0503.jpg  

Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hmm...

Turns out the crimps on the fan wires aren't up to snuff, so if you take it apart, just be careful...

Here are the shots below. Looks like the 60A and the 120A are identical, except for the missing components on the upper board.

Inside the ESC, there is a two board "sandwich". The lower board looks like all the logic. The upper board are just FETs. There are also some spots where there is a FET missing. I'm curious if I could just buy the right FETs, solder them in and have a 120A ESC...

Anyway, since I have no Hobbywing to compare it to, it's impossible for me to know whether it's a clone or the real thing. Anyone open the Hobbywing version?
Again, Awesome work mate! Good that we now have pics of the Hobbyking ESC. I personally haven't opened my HW ESC but will if I get the chance to compare.

IMO I don't think they will be very different, if any different at all but we will see I guess.

Have you had a chance to put it in a car and drive it to see how it goes?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Hmm...

Again, Awesome work mate! Good that we now have pics of the Hobbyking ESC. I personally haven't opened my HW ESC but will if I get the chance to compare.

IMO I don't think they will be very different, if any different at all but we will see I guess.

how about a comparison of this vs HW Xerun and the Brushless Hobbies esc?
dont be surprised if majority of the components are similar.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Yep,

It's brother (or sister) is in the B4. I ran it in a beginner's race and won (I don't think that beating a bunch of kids is really a true test of anything, tho!) I've got the Turnigy Trackstar 17.5 running on a 69 spur, and 29 pinion. Both the ESC and motor are barely warm at with this combination.

I would say that it's very smooth. I was running a 19T brushed motor before this and I would say that's it is just as smooth as brushed (maybe moreso!) Reverse is a little funny, though. Sometimes I have a difficult time getting it to work. It almost seems that you can't have reverse unless you brake first. If you let the car roll to a stop using drag brake, hitting reverse does nothing. I find it takes 3 or 4 tries before I can get it to reverse.

I also haven't figured out what the button next to the power switch is.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yep,

It's brother (or sister) is in the B4. I ran it in a beginner's race and won (I don't think that beating a bunch of kids is really a true test of anything, tho!) I've got the Turnigy Trackstar 17.5 running on a 69 spur, and 29 pinion. Both the ESC and motor are barely warm at with this combination.

I would say that it's very smooth. I was running a 19T brushed motor before this and I would say that's it is just as smooth as brushed (maybe moreso!) Reverse is a little funny, though. Sometimes I have a difficult time getting it to work. It almost seems that you can't have reverse unless you brake first. If you let the car roll to a stop using drag brake, hitting reverse does nothing. I find it takes 3 or 4 tries before I can get it to reverse.

I also haven't figured out what the button next to the power switch is.
Cool! Was that with the HW software or the standard software that came with it?

I run a very similar setup in my b4.1 and same story, motor and ESC are barely warm by the end of each run
Old 02-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by alana07
how about a comparison of this vs HW Xerun and the Brushless Hobbies esc?
dont be surprised if majority of the components are similar.
From what I can see and read they are all practically the same ESC. One difference between them all.... The Price.. don't get me wrong hobbywing and Brushless hobbies are still very cheap compared to other brand ESC with the same specs but the Hobbyking X-car is a clear winning in the price department

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.