Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Apexracing
Not the rings. But the the plastic bushings and the threaded metal cap on the 2x4 2.0 shocks is a much better system then the plastic cap and bushings on the scte 2.0 truck.
I hear what you are saying there. That setup is better. We are working on things...
Old 07-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xyzracer
I think the stock shocks are pretty much the best you can get for this truck, all shocks will eventually leak as the orings get worn. just get a set of rebuild kits with new orings and you should be good to go. you can also get shock boots if you run in extremely dusty or muddy conditions and that should help the seals last a little longer.
the shocks work great.... vision makes delrin bushings that help and I hate to say it, but the boots off the AE 4x4 are a big step up from the stock ones.... and thats all i have nice to say about that thing.

A couple of minor tweeks would be great.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
As for the size of shock and is Losi listening. We are always listening. However, we have a difference of opinion. Many that run the other truck feel there is no reason for 8th scale sized shock on a 6 pound vehicle. Those that converted the other truck over to 12mm shocks like that truck even better. Center of gravity is a big thing with short course trucks. We prefer the smaller shocks as it keep our center of gravity lower than theirs. I get baffled when just because someone else does something, it must be right is the mentality. TLR also has an extra 25 years of experience over that other company. And our truck has 3 national titles as well.

I do think our shock on the SCTE could be better. That shock came from an RTR and has been upgraded over time and its good, but could be better. We are working on things in that department.
I have always preferred Losi, and that's probably not going to change anytime soon. So there is no need to defend your company with me.
But I will state that most of your Losi team drivers could probably take a tekno and wipe their @$$ with most on comers.

Anyhow I know several people that own both the losi and the "other truck", and we all race them on some very rough tracks. Not the finely groomed tracks you guys usually run them on in the WC, albeit that is what they where designed for, Fine.
The losi's all leaked and needed rebuilds when the other one didn't. That is what I found and have seen and I sorta doubt that is always coincidence.
I'll accept your admittance that the SCTE shocks need some work with that being stated.
I never intended to questioned your authoritative knowledge of the 12mm shock's race-ability.
What I was hinting at was the idea that some of us "obviously by the threads out there" would like to have the option for a bigger shock that is going to take harder hits.
I am not going to argue the fact the CG and overall weight is lower with the smaller shocks.
But there is an interest thanks to "the other company", and you guys already have the 1/8 scale shocks out there from you 8ight series vehicles, why not put a pack together and offer it as an option. I can almost guaranty you it would sell like hotcakes.
Further more, since lowing CG is a key development feature and you know this, why don't you guys just turn the shock bodies upside down with a different cap design and slightly taller shock towers?
It wouldn't be that hard to design a newer A-arm for future releases that has a wider mounting gap for shock body clearance, then you wouldn't even need to raise the tower.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh L
I have always preferred Losi, and that's probably not going to change anytime soon. So there is no need to defend your company with me.
But I will state that most of your Losi team drivers could probably take a tekno and wipe their @$$ with most on comers.

Anyhow I know several people that own both the losi and the "other truck", and we all race them on some very rough tracks. Not the finely groomed tracks you guys usually run them on in the WC, albeit that is what they where designed for, Fine.
The losi's all leaked and needed rebuilds when the other one didn't. That is what I found and have seen and I sorta doubt that is always coincidence.
I'll accept your admittance that the SCTE shocks need some work with that being stated.
I never intended to questioned your authoritative knowledge of the 12mm shock's race-ability.
What I was hinting at was the idea that some of us "obviously by the threads out there" would like to have the option for a bigger shock that is going to take harder hits.
I am not going to argue the fact the CG and overall weight is lower with the smaller shocks.
But there is an interest thanks to "the other company", and you guys already have the 1/8 scale shocks out there from you 8ight series vehicles, why not put a pack together and offer it as an option. I can almost guaranty you it would sell like hotcakes.
Further more, since lowing CG is a key development feature and you know this, why don't you guys just turn the shock bodies upside down with a different cap design and slightly taller shock towers?
It wouldn't be that hard to design a newer A-arm for future releases that has a wider mounting gap for shock body clearance, then you wouldn't even need to raise the tower.
You mean attach the body to the arm and the shaft to the tower?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Tech Addict

Yes
Old 07-27-2015, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Yes
Not a good idea. More unsprung weight is worse than higher cog.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcgod
Not a good idea. More unsprung weight is worse than higher cog.
That is an awful big coefficient to be concerned with before any actually testing is done to at least see the possible benefit of a lower CG.
In theory a of lower CG with more un-sprung weight, it should allow for slightly lighter oil/more open pistons, while relying on the effect of the sway bar less.
I get what your saying about your opinion on the matter, but it seems to me that less lateral chassis roll may make up for it.
In possibility I would argue inertial losses would play a role in whats good or not around the track with the right tires and inserts considered.
Testing something like this would require a lot of R&D I'm sure.
To find the truth past the paper calculations, one would have to run it through a CAD physics generation program with possibly a few things tweaked in the geometry.
I'd be interested in seeing the data numbers given CG placement tends to be so high on a race inspired design to know if the downsides are negligible of such a setup vs the weight transfer gains.

Last edited by Josh L; 07-28-2015 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:31 AM
Tech Adept

I agree with hacker and rc god. If your shocks are leaking then you are building them wrong. I run on some rough tracks and never had a problem with the shocks performance. If you want bigger shocks then put bigger shocks on it, if you want your shocks run upside down then do it. Don't wait on a company to fix something that isn't broken!
Old 07-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by potatobed409
I agree with hacker and rc god. If your shocks are leaking then you are building them wrong. I run on some rough tracks and never had a problem with the shocks performance. If you want bigger shocks then put bigger shocks on it, if you want your shocks run upside down then do it. Don't wait on a company to fix something that isn't broken!
No leaking here, but a desire for high quality parts on a expensive kit is not a bad thing. Especially when they are used on other recent losi kits.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I agree people would buy them but I disagree with the fact it would be better. The 12mm shock is plenty for this truck and the Weight penalty as well as CG penalty of a 15 or 16mm shock is not worth it. With 2S battery rules in this class a lighter platform is better. A minimum weight truck is still overweight IMO with the power plant we are using but that is a bit of a different argument. The "upside down" shock has been done in the past but it was not better and I think the unsprung weight was the main reason.

A top racer who ran the Tekno for a long time put Kyosho 12mm shocks on his truck to get rid of all that high weight on his Tekno truck. Loved the change. Don't underestimate the effects of CG and know there is a lot of tuning that can be done to get the handling of the shock package the way you like it. TLR sells blank pistons as well to further fine tune your shocks.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by potatobed409
It don't take a rocket scientist to know how to build shocks. This isn't my first rodeo fella, been building RC's for 27 years.
And "Hacker" admits their shocks leave more to be desired and had a bad run of O-rings. I am fine with that and look forward to trying out the revisions if they come out.
My questioning in design methodology is not to act as if I know more that Losi about their own vehicle, but revisiting previous design elements sometimes yields different results on new platforms. In other words, what doesn't work for some does for others, speaking in designs and for people.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

My two cents...I have both trucks. My losi has kingheadz center diff and top steering plate. Also has mip puck drive system. Truck is good not great. Shocks are above average but could be better. Best I've ever done with this truck is mid pack. With the tekno...second night out...WON! The tekno is a better truck. More stable and is dominating my area. Another thing I noticed is how much more efficient the drive line is. With my losi my 6500 batteries were almost drained at the end. With the tekno just a little over half drained. I like my losi but there's no denying the facts.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)
Default Bigger Shocks

If you really want bigger shocks all you have to do is buy an SNR Graphite +9MM front shock tower and fit Losi 8 2.0 shocks all around.

It has been done before many times.

If you're anal like me, you cut the back stud of the 8 shock mounts, drill and tap 5-40, screw in a bolt retained with red loctite, cut off the bolt head, and you have a stud mount that eliminates any need to mod the shock tower form the Losi 8 shocks.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I really don't get all the bashing of the shocks. Yeah, they aren't the greatest ever, but I think they are okay. Mine have never leaked. I've run this truck at a big 8th scale outdoor track, and it handled the bumps fine. I think people just like complaining. When Losi comes out with bigger shocks, then drivers will complain about it being too heavy. When they upgrade the pistons, o-rings, then it will be too expensive. Whiners just suck the fun out of this hobby.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by blade329
I really don't get all the bashing of the shocks. Yeah, they aren't the greatest ever, but I think they are okay. Mine have never leaked. I've run this truck at a big 8th scale outdoor track, and it handled the bumps fine. I think people just like complaining. When Losi comes out with bigger shocks, then drivers will complain about it being too heavy. When they upgrade the pistons, o-rings, then it will be too expensive. Whiners just suck the fun out of this hobby.
Just as I really dont get why everytime someone uses "they aren't the greatest ever" or "they could be better" yet stays on the defense about it when someone has something to say. If everyone in history just sat in silence then what exactly is the point in the hobby besides just running what you got? Why is there an aftermarket at all with that logic. If I were a company like Losi I would appreciate the criticism in respect to trusting my company to produce more upgrades instead of seeing my customers always go else where to get the things they want for hop ups or even worse, going with another platform altogether. People like you are content and that is fine, but there is another sect to the hobby that include people like myself who equally enjoy tinkering and improving. Consider that next time you decide to jump on a band wagon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.