Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Team Associated B4.2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Bought a new gear diff and it doesn't fit. Borrowed and older one it fits. Contacted AE and they say it should fit without a gear case swap. From what I can tell then gear diff is too wide now by about .012

Side note, a tlr22 has 4 degree rear toe and 3 anti squat stick vs 3 toe in and 2 anti squat on b4.2 has anyone tried to mimic the tlr car?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Ghosted!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by cobra408
why a gear diff? are you running on very high traction?
Mainly because it's all I know, maybe now is the time to learn about ball diffs

It seams its the idler gear thats causing the binding though. I even tried other bearing and its to tight.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jam-Air
Bought a new gear diff and it doesn't fit. Borrowed and older one it fits. Contacted AE and they say it should fit without a gear case swap. From what I can tell then gear diff is too wide now by about .012

Side note, a tlr22 has 4 degree rear toe and 3 anti squat stick vs 3 toe in and 2 anti squat on b4.2 has anyone tried to mimic the tlr car?
Have you driven a 22? Why would you want to mimic it? If anything I have heard (and know of) some guys that run the 22 try and mimic the B4 because it works so good.

Also, according to the standard setup sheet via tlracing.com the car has 1 deg of anti squat. I had a 22 when they first came out and compared to my b4 it is a completely different animal. The main thing that i noticed was that i couldnt overdrive the 22. The track i ran it on was of the low-med bite variety and it wanted to be driven smooth...as soon as i wreck i tend to overdrive the car a little more and this hurt my lap times. My B4 could be driven harder and times didnt suffer at all/as much in most cases. I'm still debating on giving the 22 another shot, especially with some of the recent advancements in setup the team is trying...and now my closest track is of the higher bite variety so it may suit me better there. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 05-17-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DanielC.
Can't say I've come across a reason to use a 'ghosted' pin style tire, though.

Ghosted bar style is a different story!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

@ Matt no I haven't driven a TLR car. I agree with your assessment though of not being able to over drive one.

In watching the cars in the track, tlr car seems to have more mechanical traction where as an AE car has more steering

Just my opinion
Old 05-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

@ Matt no I haven't driven a TLR car. I agree with your assessment though of not being able to over drive one.

In watching the cars in the track, tlr car seems to have more mechanical traction where as an AE car has more steering

Just my opinion
I will agree with you on that. The one thing i noticed when i ran mine on the lower bite tracks...as soon as i began to drive it hard it seemed to roll more and then it became a handful. When i was smooth with it was when it was pretty good. Losi/TLR cars always seem to have more traction then the AE stuff but lack a bit in the steering department. Another thing that was weird was the 22 didnt feel consistent run to run as much as the b4. I dont get to race that often due to work but it seemed i was always chasing the car setup, first heat was good and by the time the main hit it didnt feel right. It seems that the B4 could be thrown down and worked well everytime. Some of this has to be attributed to the fact that the b4 series has been out for 10 years and has a very solid base whereas the 22 is a completely new platform. The TLR drivers that I know have worked very hard week in and week out to make it pretty darn good throughout the AZ tracks.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This is the case for myself as well. I have an Pre-V2 Shocks T4.1 FT kit and the Tranny case is narrower than my 4.2 so Associated is jerking you around. I had an extra tranny case in my box and I figured I'd assemble the entire thing and sell or trade it for something I want/need but the case halves are not deep enough. The opening is just over .125".

You would need the 4.2 case which is like $6.

As for the 22, I traded mine which was completely decked out with EVERY possible upgrade and it just never felt great to me. My T4 on the other hand was easy to drive and it responded perfectly to all adjustments and input on the stand so I traded the 22 for a 4.2 and the difference was immediately apparent. The TLR is a fantastically engineered car but it just doesn't feel right in my hands.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
I will agree with you on that. The one thing i noticed when i ran mine on the lower bite tracks...as soon as i began to drive it hard it seemed to roll more and then it became a handful. When i was smooth with it was when it was pretty good. Losi/TLR cars always seem to have more traction then the AE stuff but lack a bit in the steering department. Another thing that was weird was the 22 didnt feel consistent run to run as much as the b4. I dont get to race that often due to work but it seemed i was always chasing the car setup, first heat was good and by the time the main hit it didnt feel right. It seems that the B4 could be thrown down and worked well everytime. Some of this has to be attributed to the fact that the b4 series has been out for 10 years and has a very solid base whereas the 22 is a completely new platform. The TLR drivers that I know have worked very hard week in and week out to make it pretty darn good throughout the AZ tracks.
This was the exact problem I had with my 22 it lacked consistency and steering.

Switching from a B44.2 that had massive amounts and a very consistent feel to the 22 which felt mushy at the front and had a very serious Jekyll and Hyde problem was a nightmare. Everytime I drove the 22 after the B44.2 I had to relearn how to drive the car. Not good when it takes a few laps because then your behind.

Ill give you one thing though. Never broke a part on the 22 and I had some serious wrecks.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default 13.5

could someone give me a idea for gearing for 13.5 no boost?? thanks
Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Try 72/32
Old 05-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

I have a b4.2 case and the stupid thing doesn't fit. Only options I see is put the gear in the lath or try the short course case
Old 05-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a b4.2 case and the stupid thing doesn't fit. Only options I see is put the gear in the lath or try the short course case
Not really sure what "case" your talking about...but if your talking about the diff case, then you might have the wrong case or outdrives. There are two different diff cases. The older one fits the older outdrives while the new one fits the new outdrives. The newer outdrives have a ring on the outdrives that holds it into place in the case.

Last edited by B.A. Racer; 05-17-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

The b4.2 and the sc tranny should be the same.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I just bought a used B4.2. It's the first buggy I've owned since the black aluminum chassis RC10 I bought in 1991.

Anyway I wanted to verify that the hubs towers that are installed are the C hubs. They look like the C hubs, but they have a little 3 pronged flash on the outside edge.

When I received the buggy the U brace was shaved. There was one 1mm spacer under the inner ball link and the link was attached to the innermost hole on the hub tower. I don't think I've seen anyone running that setup.

Thanks,

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated B4.2 Thread-photo-2-.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.