Search
Like Tree17Likes

Tekno SCT410 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
That's why I like getting cheaper escs you can buy two of them for the price of a rx8 than you have two so you can still run .

Honestly though from always hearing and seeing issues with the rx8 esc that turned me off from buying one . I do race with 3 guys who run the rx8 2 with no issues but they may be lucky .
Generally with the rx8 you see more issues just because there's so many of them, being the most common esc for ebuggy, etruggy, and 4wd sc. They're pretty solid since they fixed the original board issues on the first rx8, and the gen2 has been great unless you had a random instant smoker from the first batch.

The hobbywing sct pro is a good esc though, and I've seen many use it happily in the above classes as well. I believe that for me the rx8 is worth the extra though, due to more settings that are more fine grained that I use (and HV BEC). If the sct pro ships with v3 adjustability and a 7.4v bec in an updated version, I'll definitely look at it again for any future esc purchase though.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

That's one thing I have not tried out I got to get extra tuning inserts though.
I tried inside, middle & outside settings when I got the kit. For my driving style the outside dot setting works best. I don't like a front end the dives down that much making the truck feel like its hooking into a turn. But my style is more of a flow style than point & shoot.

Its really easy to get to to try out the different settings. There really is only two pills needed. The middle and offset. The offset one just flips for inside or outside dot. If yours is inside or outside, flip it and see what you get out of it. If you have the middle dot, that's all you got... middle.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jmackani
The gen2 esc only has two settings. 6.0 or 7.4. Anytime we had to add a glitch buster to a gen1 rx8, the esc failed within a month. We have been running tekin from the beginning and as soon as any glitch happens now, it goes back to tekin. That's three cars once a week for about 46 weeks a year. The 1/8th esc's have a come a long way in the past 4 years.
Wow. I have also been running them in 3 cars for about 4 years, but they all got a Castle 10 amp BEC right off the bat so I could run high voltage(rated) servos and no glitch buster, so I never really dealt with the built in BEC. I have a Gen2 on the shelf, but I still have Gen1 in all three cars. I did go through quite a few initially on warranty with the loose boards, but the 3 I have now have been good for quite some time, but thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

That's why I like getting cheaper escs you can buy two of them for the price of a rx8 than you have two so you can still run .

Honestly though from always hearing and seeing issues with the rx8 esc that turned me off from buying one . I do race with 3 guys who run the rx8 2 with no issues but they may be lucky .
I have had no issues with mine. I got an extra one just in case the original failed and it was sitting there for so long I went and got a ebuggy to throw it in a 8ight Superlite. I have been running it in my truck since day one and before that it was in my scte and its still running like the day I got it. I say they are well worth the $$.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

FWIW, I have had my truck basically since it was released, and having an outdoor 1/8 scale track at my house, along with traveling to indoor tracks in the winter, needless to say I run a lot, as evidence see the bottom of my chassis. If you are considering buying one based on durability, let me give you a list of the wear items I have replaced out of necessity over the past year:

Diff and pinion bearings maybe once or so (just as preventative maintinence while I had it apart)
Front bumper(replaced today as it wore through at the skid)
Wheel bearings(also today)
A few bodies
Maybe a couple rod ends/balls once
Servo horn(aluminum right from the start)

That is all......I cannot think of a single thing I have broken.......
It speaks volumes for Tekno that basically all the parts on the original kit are about to outlast the chassis

On a side note, I just noticed that due to repeated abuse, the pocket under my center diff has actually pushed in a tad(see pic) By no means am I complaining, just giving people something to watch for.
Attached Thumbnails Tekno SCT410 Thread-sam_0388.jpg   Tekno SCT410 Thread-sam_0390.jpg  
Old 03-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

Default funny little story

Hi all
As the sunday 9th march 2014 was a sunny day (20°c) I go to done a rc race with my girlfriend.
The sct410 for me and the rc18t2 (no one is perfect) for her.
I set up the two cars to get the same speed.
We go on a parking to race.
First 2min racing she used the rc18t2 and she couldn't follow me. Second 2min racing with the sct410 she could follow me very easily and it was hard to me to keep the leadership.
finally the great winner was the sct410!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

That's one thing I have not tried out I got to get extra tuning inserts though.
You could do it just with the inserts that come inside the kit.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Now wait a minute! how come earlier this season you were at sjrc and didn't race because you blew up your hobbywings and you sat there sulking. While I raced another season with my 3 season old rx8?

Sorry I couldn't resist...lol
Old 03-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

we'll that's probably the kiss of deaf I'll blow mine up this week...lol
Old 03-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by purple rides
we'll that's probably the kiss of deaf I'll blow mine up this week...lol
Ha Ha! Someone last week was talking about breaking axles frequently. I said I was 6 months in with the same axles... asked if maybe he got old over hardened parts off a lhs wall or online.

Murphy's law... broke an axle the next day in the 2nd heat
Old 03-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by purple rides
Now wait a minute! how come earlier this season you were at sjrc and didn't race because you blew up your hobbywings and you sat there sulking. While I raced another season with my 3 season old rx8?

Sorry I couldn't resist...lol

Na was the copy hobbywing esc BH 120 amp esc when I raced the mip scte from last yea that chassis offer little shock protection . But it lasted me a full season it's a backup now . The case sucked on them though .

The one I have now the sct pro is fine just needed to turn down the Lvc cutoff with the ten shock motor on the sc410 .
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I raced with a guy that has had his rx8 since 2011 and this just past February it went on him only cause it was own fault plugged in opposite but tekin was at the event that we were at and hes spondored drive not full ride they just went and replaced it with the gen2 talk about great customer service you wont get that with the cheaper brands as many rx8 gen1 that I blew up I still stick with them cause of their customer service is top notch, and helpful if u have any questions
Old 03-14-2014, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

did anyone try the LRC pills and the 15* spindles on the SCT? I asked before but no replies yet!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

I haven't but curious, what's the stock spindle? 20° or 10°? Is the 15° spindle giving more or less caster than stock?

What's the point of the LRC pills? A smaller adjustment than you can make on the tower? Kind of an in between?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fq06
I haven't but curious, what's the stock spindle? 20° or 10°? Is the 15° spindle giving more or less caster than stock?

What's the point of the LRC pills? A smaller adjustment than you can make on the tower? Kind of an in between?
The LRC pills lower roll center to an even lower setting than the original inserts
help rear traction!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.