Like Tree17Likes

Tekno SCT410 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2-shot
I have a question regarding my front and rear diffs. Now that I'm about half way into the build, I'm second guessing the shim placement on my front and rear diffs. Both diffs turn smoothly if I turn either side of the outdrive, on both front and rear. There's no binding or spots that it's not smooth. They both turn easily.
What I'm second guessing is how noisy both the front and rear diffs are. There is a little "growl" to them as I spin the diffs.

Is this normal since they are new?
Will they become less noisy as they are getting broken in?
Should I disassemble the diffs and try re-shimming them?

Like I said, they both spin smoothly and easily with no binding! Just a little worried about how noisy they are. I don't recall if my diffs were that noisy on other kits I've assembled.

Thanks in advance for your input and help!
As long as the gear mesh is good with no binding your good to go! Wait till you run it...it sounds like a freight train coming down the straight!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2SlowTC
As long as the gear mesh is good with no binding your good to go! Wait till you run it...it sounds like a freight train coming down the straight!
LOL!!! Yeah, the gear mesh is great! Can't wait to hear it now!!! LOL!!!

Thanks for answering my questions!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

The growl is just built in intimidation and lets the other trucks know it's time to make room for the leader!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2-shot
LOL!!! Yeah, the gear mesh is great! Can't wait to hear it now!!! LOL!!!

Thanks for answering my questions!!!
I agree with the other guys it is loud but without hearing the exact noise its difficult to tell whether its the optimal meshing but I suggest starting with 0 shims and see how it spins and then add 1 and soon but you need to screw the housing together each time you add because this effects the mesh. you probably need atleast 1 shim but the new kits have a lot better tolerances, I didnt use any on my eb48.2 but I have 1 on each side on my SCT. Chances are you are fine but you can make it a little "less" loud ha
Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

What would be the consequences of using no shims even if it needed say 2 of them? Other than getting them lined up you can do a diff removal and re assembly in a few mins. Say if you want to make a change during race day would it be cool to leave it unshimmed for the remainder of the race day?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mizchief
What would be the consequences of using no shims even if it needed say 2 of them? Other than getting them lined up you can do a diff removal and re assembly in a few mins. Say if you want to make a change during race day would it be cool to leave it unshimmed for the remainder of the race day?

Depending on how off the tolerances are in the diff case you could have enough play that the ring and pinion will wear faster , or in extreme cases they could skip after they wear some more ......
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does the sharp angle of the rear diff wear the drive line pins faster than the new one with less angle? I bought my truck as a roller and it came with worn pins. I replaced them and had lots of wear on them in one weekend.... Front has no problems since it is straight
Old 10-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by colormegone
Does the sharp angle of the rear diff wear the drive line pins faster than the new one with less angle? I bought my truck as a roller and it came with worn pins. I replaced them and had lots of wear on them in one weekend.... Front has no problems since it is straight

Yes. The angle rear diff case is much better for pin and outdrive wear.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by colormegone
The new rear case is much better. If you dont replace the cups along with the rear shaft/pins, it makes it wear much quicker.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Running no shims isn't a problem as long as the diff was seated really well in the housing and there wasn't any play left to right, i.e. the new eb48 kits have great tolerances so I didnt need any shims but as I said, add them until there is no play and if you only need 1 shim then try it on both sides to see which gets the best meshing/noise.

Originally Posted by jhautz
Yes. The angle rear diff case is much better for pin and outdrive wear.
Originally Posted by Hoese37
The new rear case is much better. If you dont replace the cups along with the rear shaft/pins, it makes it wear much quicker.
Yea the new rear angled housing/bearings are amazing, well worth it.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

so, who is going to be the first to mount of the losi rally body set and tires
Old 10-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Another thing you can do that was suggested by a member on this forum (don't remember who) is once you get the shim settings you like you could switch to running 8x10mm shims on the inside of the bearings. By doing this you won't have to take the time seating the shims each time you install the diffs. The downside is it takes a little longer to get your initial settings and if you ever need to change it (due to wear/break in) you'll have to disassemble the diff.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
so, who is going to be the first to mount of the losi rally body set and tires
whats that you say?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOS03000
Old 10-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

has anyone heard word of a sct410.2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.