Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Who uses a Turnigy Trackstar SCT 550 can motor? >

Who uses a Turnigy Trackstar SCT 550 can motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who uses a Turnigy Trackstar SCT 550 can motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Well, I was hoping to try one of these in my SCT and would have posted results...but wouldn't ya know it. My order apparently got lost. Worst part is UPS tracking "shows" that they did actually deliver it, so I may be completely SOL. :flaming
Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BillyT.
Yeah, they have to make one stop. But it takes 10 seconds. If I can get the run time sorted out, I'll make a stop and go just to keep things even. I pitted for a battery swap and it took a minute, easy. Felt like forever though...

The one thing that makes me wish I had just sprung for the RX8 is the current limiter. Not sure why everybody doesn't implement one. My buddy's SCTE, granted it is lighter, but he is set on something like 65% and it still runs hard with a Rev Tech 4800 and he gets plenty of run time. Well, he's upside down more than me, so maybe that is the biggest difference
Most programable speedos do have current limiter. They just put a different name on it punch control,start mode,traction control,current limiter are all the same thing. It limits the initial punch of the esc and has nothing to do with top end.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Good news, UPS has located and delivered my package. I should be trying out the 4.0T tonight.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elex300
Most programable speedos do have current limiter. They just put a different name on it punch control,start mode,traction control,current limiter are all the same thing. It limits the initial punch of the esc and has nothing to do with top end.

wow... I had no idea. Why would they call it current limiter? It certainly implies something else... or maybe I was given that impression by my friends that run one and really have no idea what it does...

derp.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 241 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BillyT.
wow... I had no idea. Why would they call it current limiter? It certainly implies something else... or maybe I was given that impression by my friends that run one and really have no idea what it does...

derp.
Because it limits the current going to the motor...LOL.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
Good news, UPS has located and delivered my package. I should be trying out the 4.0T tonight.
My 4.5 is still going strong.......

I hope you have the same good results as I have.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

A few things first.
In this vid, I am the green truck. This is an 1/8 AE 8.2/Tekno converted, further converted with SNR Graphite Towers and TBone Racing bumpers to run 4w Mod SC. Bottom line, it is a tank. I havn't scaled it though I am thinking of picking up a postal scale just for gits n shiggles. That said, I guarantee it is heavier than your "standard" 4w SC. I am guessing 7+ Lbs.
In this vid, I am running Turnigy Nano soft pack 45c batts which have seen better days, with a Tekin SC4X 4.5T. I could make the back jump if I really timed it well, but it was difficult to do consistently. I am also running 15/44 gears.
Tonight I ran the Turnigy 4.0 with new 65c Nanos and I played with gearing, settling on 14/44. After a 6 min qual, batt, motor, and ESC were quite warm. After the 8 min main, on the verge of egg frying. That said, power was awesome. I could clear the back jump with no difficulty, and could do it consistently lap after lap.
I am not going to continue to run this set up as it is too taxing...but I am hoping to be able to pick up the Tekno SC once it is released. I would bet that it would run fine in that as it is reported to be down around 6 Lbs. The one thing I havn't yet tried is running the SC4X on the new 65c batts. I'll probably do that on Sunday. With the 45c older batts, everything was noticeably cooler, and though I couldn't clear the big jump consistently, my lap times did not suffer as I TQ'd with this set up this past Tues.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Any additional reviews for these motors?
Old 04-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Tech Initiate

I have two of them, a 5.5 and a 5.0 SCT 550. Happy with both, but I did have a magnet come loose from the shaft on one. It was an easy repair, just a little metal to metal high heat epoxy from the auto parts store and back on the track and many packs through it since. There's more detail about it I posted, check my post history if you're curious. I'm still using and very happy with the performance of both.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have the 4.0t trackstar and it works great, just not a lot of snap off the bottom if you're used to a 4 pole. But it's definitely easier on the battery. I keep it for when I run on a low traction track. Not a good choice for a heavy truck imo. But cheap and smooth.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I had the 4T(5120Kv) motor on my SCTE and worked great with the HK 150A ESC, then I switched to an RX8 and the motor started to get hotter (around 170ish) Theeeeeeen I got a tekno sct410 and the last time I raced that motor, after a 8min amain.... motor quit running. After I check the temp, it was at a whooping 279 degrees. I melted the insides of it. Moral of the story; do not use this motor in a heavy sct truck lol.