High Torque, Digital Servo and battery output >

High Torque, Digital Servo and battery output

High Torque, Digital Servo and battery output

Old 09-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default High Torque, Digital Servo and battery output

Hi all,

I broke the stock steering servo on my SC10rs last night when landing a jump at a local track. The gracious, track manager had an extra JR Racing 9100t servo that he sold me so I could keep going. It's overkill, but I didn't want to end my session. I still have the stock XP-SC700 speed control with a 2S Lipo and did not encounter any glitches or brown outs after I installed the servo and got back on the track. However, I almost seem to think that I was a little down on top speed and kick out of the corners. I installed new tires so it's possible that the truck just seemed more mild since it was hooking up better. What I would like to know is whether a high torque, digital servo would pull enough power from my battery that I could see a performance hit? Also, am I just spelling the doom of the stock ESC by running such a powerful servo?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It "shouldn't" pull enough amps to feel different at all(unless something is binding and or the servo is damaged). Your motor is pulling 30-70 amps, I doubt that servo pulls more than 3 or 4 at most. I bet it was the tires that made it feel different.

For the ESC; even though the new servo is pulling more, the BEC should be adequate. Although I have seen various ESCs have better BECs than others...
Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks. How did you know this in regards to the servo's amp draw? I don't recall seeing that information when I checked JR Racing's website. I guess that's why you're listed as a "Tech Champion"!