Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree172Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
RB6.6 Kyosho America Product Page: http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/ULTIMA-...T_p_24505.html

RB6.6 Manual http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...A_RB6_6_IM.pdf

RB6.6 Kyosho Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_sR667utY

MSRP $639 MAP $399.99

-------------------------------
New RB6.6 parts (compared exploded views, prices and links are Kyosho America):

Chassis:
  1. Main chassis - UM731 - $125.99
  2. Side guards - UM732 - $9.99

Battery Holder:
  1. Battery plate - UM733 - $8.99
  2. Battery foam - UM741 - $7.99

Rear Bulkheads:
  1. MM3 and Laydown - UM740 - $9.99
    • MM3 bulkhead
    • Laydown bulkhead
    • Swaybar Holders

3 Gear Transmission (MM and RM):
  1. Transmission - UM734 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • plastic FR & RR suspension hangers

2. Gear Cover - UM735 - $6.99

Laydown Transmission (3 and 4 gear possible):
  1. Transmission - UM736 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • required extra hardware
    • pastic FR suspension hanger

2. 40T idler - UM737 - $6.99
  3. Motor plate - UM738 - $18.99
  4. Gear cover - UM739 - $6.99

Body:
  1. Blade body - UMB05 - $27.99

Optional Parts:
  1. Lightweigt Blade body - UMB05LW - $31.99
  2. Aluminum FR suspension hanger - UMW705B - $28.99 (may be able to file UMW705 to fit)
  3. Brass FR suspension hanger - UMW725B - $30.99 (looks more different than UMW725..someone confirm?)

Typical Upgrades for new RB6.6 Buyers

UMW701 Aluminum Steering Plate (RB6)
UMW702 Aluminum Crank Arm (RB6)
UMW704-0 V2 Aluminum Rear Hub Set(0°/RB6)
UMW705B Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RF/RB6.6) or brass UMW725B
UMW707 Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RR-Mid)

Nice to have:

UMW723 Aluminum Front Sus Block (Type B/10g/RB6/RT6/SC6).

Aftermarket Parts:

Front Wing: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...mount-alum-rb6

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E73
Soliciting opinions for stock 17.5 spur gear setup:
1) Use the slipper clutch
Pros: extended gearbox life, better traction, smoother feel
Cons: less responsive, car feels "slower"

2) Lock the slipper down/spur gear hub
Pros: less rotating mass (hub), responsive throttle
Cons: stresses gearbox components, abrupt throttle input

I've locked mine down for the last year but a local pro suggested I let the slipper do it's job (actually set it to slip). Buggy feels smoother but not quite as fast...probably due to the decreased throttle response. How do you have yours set up?
I don't know of any "fast" 2wd racer that doesn't use his slipper as it's designed to...

As per one setup being faster than the other: check the stopwatch. The stopwatch never lies.

Now - if you run faster lap times with a locked slipper than with a properly setup one, there's something "different" with your driving

Paul
Old 02-13-2014, 05:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I ran my car last night with the gull wing arms. Went 21.5 and previous best was 21.9 and went a 14 5.15 previous best was 13 5.02. In the main had a good lead then had a wreck in the triple and dropped to 4th then made some passes and got 2nd. Happy overall with the change.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Got a taste of mid motor with a C4.2. Sold it for a B5. Now I'm looking at the RB6. How is it hooking up mid motor? I will be running it in stock class. I see the rear ballstud in mid motor cant be removed? How are you guys dealing with that? Might get this or possibly the serpent for indoor clay. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chevmaro
Got a taste of mid motor with a C4.2. Sold it for a B5. Now I'm looking at the RB6. How is it hooking up mid motor? I will be running it in stock class. I see the rear ballstud in mid motor cant be removed? How are you guys dealing with that? Might get this or possibly the serpent for indoor clay. Thanks.
Losi 22 ball studs have a hex in the ball, so you can use a ball ended driver to get to them.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyD
Alright guys tell me what I'm getting into, just bought an RB6, I've only driven AE cars. Is the steering as fast? What about traction? I know the shock package is out of this world. I was really excited about the B5 but the two chassis thing really turned me off so I decided to make the switch. Really excited to get some wheel time with my Kyosho.
I think you will find the steering to be just if not more responsive than the AE cars. Now keep in mind I haven't driven an AE car in a long time. What you will want to consider doing is reversing the steering rack and that should calm the car down some.

As for traction, in rear motor you will obviously have more but if you do go mid motor I have always felt the stock gull-wing arms will give more traction than the straight across arms. Now your track might dictate otherwise but that is what I noticed on my car.

The rear ball stud can be a pain as you do have to remove the rear shock tower to get to it. Perhaps the idea posted by Chris-s is something that most of us should look into. However, I have a power screw driver so I don't mind taking the rear apart to change it but I hardly ever change the height.

Hooking up, well if you look at my previous comment you can see what I said about the difference in arms. My suggestion is to stick with the stock rear arms unless the track has a lot of bite in it. Then maybe try the 521 or 521-1 rear arms. The only difference is that the 521-1 has one shock mount hole in it whereas the 521 has two. The 521-1 hole is in between the 521.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris-s
Losi 22 ball studs have a hex in the ball, so you can use a ball ended driver to get to them.
As do the Lunsford titanium pieces
Old 02-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Whats best for mid config? Shorty or saddle and esc in front or back? Running on clay. Will play with both battery's but dont feel like moving the esc around. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Whats best for mid config? Shorty or saddle and esc in front or back? Running on clay. Will play with both battery's but dont feel like moving the esc around. Thanks.
I like a shorty with the esc on a shelf by the motor. Plenty of room to move the battery forward or back.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Holmberg418
I like a shorty with the esc on a shelf by the motor. Plenty of room to move the battery forward or back.
Yeah me too. I use the shelft with RM. I use the stadium truck shelf, its a lot roomier than the tiny buggy version.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
Yeah me too. I use the shelft with RM. I use the stadium truck shelf, its a lot roomier than the tiny buggy version.
That's what I did also. Because on my truck I put the esc on the chassis. And cut the supports off for more flex. I did the same when I was running rm on the rb6 and it helped a lot.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyD
Alright guys tell me what I'm getting into, just bought an RB6, I've only driven AE cars. Is the steering as fast? What about traction? I know the shock package is out of this world. I was really excited about the B5 but the two chassis thing really turned me off so I decided to make the switch. Really excited to get some wheel time with my Kyosho.
The rear motor setup will have more traction for loser tracks, but if you have medium to high traction normally, mid is the way to go.

The biggest thing you need to do is pick RM/MM, flat vs gull (kit) rear arms, then battery type, then chassis layout, then shock pistons and oil. I would suggest starting with gold rear and pink front springs regardless.

What type of track do you run on? That will really determine what to do. For example, if you run on a blown out outdoor track, I would suggest rear motor with saddles. If you run indoor with low traction, then rear motor with a shorty or saddle. If you run indoor with medium grip, then that is kinda the tipping point where you want to start doing more high grip setup options like flat arms, mid motor, and shorty pack. High grip indoor is pretty much mid motor with flat arms and shorty with the speedo behind it.

There's a lot to consider when you pick a configuration here. What's it like where you run?

I'll give you an example of my setup and why I run it. I run mid motor with flat arms, generally considered a "high grip setup", but our track is generally medium, and sometimes low grip, so as a stop gap, I run a saddle pack all the way back with the motor guard/stiffner ground down a bit like Jared and team ran at cactus before. This gives me a great car most of the time that is still drivable when the traction goes away. I run the kit 5 hole pistons because our track gets super bumpy and currently has small jumps. If the track was smoother, the 4 x 1.3 (#55) pistons actually feel better, but are not forgiving on bumps.

Wayne
Old 02-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Razathorn
I run a saddle pack all the way back with the motor guard/stiffner ground down a bit like Jared and team ran at cactus before.
Wayne
Can you elaborate on what you did with the motor guard/stiffener? I thought they were just removing the screws that attach it to the chassis?
Cheers!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Razathorn! Didnt know you were driving the Kyosho. I did use one of your setups from your B4.2 on my B4.2. It worked great at my track. Only made some minor adjustments. Would love to see what you are doing with the RB6.

My track goes from Medium grip but dusty to very high grip. We go from full treaded clay compound tires to dremeled slicks. Indoor clay. Track is a little bumpy.

First thing I need to decide is where to put the esc and which battery to run with mid motor. I just bought two new saddle packs and kind of want to use those but I also have two perfectly good shorty's.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

After reading the input above, I want to ask why not a full size stick Lipo in mm configuration with the flat arms instead of the gull arms. I'm wanting to try out a mm configuration and am stuck with standard size Lipo and the stock gull arms.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run indoor low traction and felt the gull wings made the car lethargic and less responsive overall. But I guess you need to factor in driving style.

Full size lipo is too heavy whichever way you go IMHO

Cheers,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.