Search
Like Tree24Likes

SC10 Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gamedog1966
hey there guys i have a few questions, i see that some setups calls for a ballast and some dont, so what is the purpose for it? i have asked earlier on the forum about the springs and what is the difference for guys to b swithching from the losi bb springs going to the avids, losi have a lot larger selection of spring rates than avids do and can u feel a difference with them over the losi ones?
The ballast weight mounts behind the shock tower, just on top of the tranny. It puts direct weight to the rear wheels. It works good if you chose to run it.
As for springs, most people changed to Losi springs because they rubbed the shock bodies. Some say they feel better and are more linear. But most of them noticed there lap times weren't any better. The Avid springs are suppose to be even better. I haven't tried either one yet, but I'm going to try the Avid spring in the next week or so.

Originally Posted by RCKID11
Hi guys,
I got a castle sidewinder sct and 3800kv motor for my SC10 and am having trouble with the gearing. The gear chart calls for a 14-18t pinion on an 87t spur, so I naturaly went for a 16t, all the guys at the club reckon this was way to small and I was lacking top speed massively, temps are about 74-76 Fahrenheit with this set up, What gearing do you recommend?

Any help is appreciated.
I ran a 22 pinion when I ran that motor. Then I dialed down the torque.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AErckidd
How often do you guys change your shock oil? Taking into consideration big races, practices and just club races.
I'll change the oil every other week. But I will open them up and bleed all the air out before every race.
For a big race, I would rebuild before the race and bleed air and add oil before the Main.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by J_Bone

I ran a 22 pinion when I ran that motor. Then I dialed down the torque.
Was that with a 87t spur, also what were motor temps like?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCKID11
Was that with a 87t spur, also what were motor temps like?
Oh sorry. It was the 84t spur. My temps were around 140*F. With ambient air in the 70F-80F range.
22/84 gives you a 9.92:1 gear ratio.
22/87 gives you a 10.28:1 gear ratio.
23/87 gives you a 9.83:1 gear ratio.

If you ran the 22/87, it would be a bit cooler. Or you can run the 23/87 and have more top end, but will be a bit hot.
You can start with a 20, run it for 5 minutes and see how it runs and temp it. From there you can go up or down.

You should always keep a few on hand so I would recommend to get a few different sizes. I always have 18-24t pinions on hand.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for that, I have ordered a 21t as I race indoors so I don't want huge top speed, also I don't have to worry as much about ambient temperature as I live the UK so it's usually cold!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

but what i want to know is why would anybodh run the avid springs if the losi ones have a larger selction between rates as the avids only have a few
Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

by adding limiters in the shocks and taking roll away from the vehicle what is the reason for this? at my home track i actuallyh needed to add roll so i can push even harder thru a large sweeper and it allows me to floor it thru that section and not traction roll. so having less roll is beneficial in what way?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

but what i want to know is why would anybodh run the avid springs if the losi ones have a larger selction between rates as the avids only have a few
Avid made them for the most used spring rates. When I looked at the rates, those were in the ranges that I would use for racing.

by adding limiters in the shocks and taking roll away from the vehicle what is the reason for this? at my home track i actuallyh needed to add roll so i can push even harder thru a large sweeper and it allows me to floor it thru that section and not traction roll. so having less roll is beneficial in what way?
More roll will put more weight on the outside tires for more traction. By limiting roll (weight distribution), it will take away traction rolling too.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

If anyone is interested, I made a spring and shock oil reference sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Old 06-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Addict

If anyone is interested, I made a spring and shock oil reference sheet.
thats kool man, hey bone how are ya man? i may try the avids somethime with in the next week or so, it is hard for me to get them since i like the way the losi springs feel but my friends are pressuring me to get em, im trying ti think what kinda of a difference i will feel. itz hard to judge it off of another drivers vehicle since the radio and esc settings are setup different from my own and i cnt really b hard on the car since they feel diff overall, ya kno
Old 06-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

i just looked at the spring spring rate sheet and what im running now is so close to the avids that to me it is kinda pointless to go to the avids. im running losi green fronts and white rears and it feels great, mayb i should try someone springs at the track for a batt pack or so to feel the diff huh?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, it's really hard to tell on others vehicles. I'm borrowing some from Nismomike this week so I can test the Avid springs too. I was told not to bother with the Losi springs since the Avids are better.
I was going to try Losi greens in the front and yellow in the rear which is close to the AE springs I'm running now. In stead I'm trying the Avid yellow up front and Red in the rear. My truck is dialed right now, so I think I can get a good feel just how much better they are for me.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah, it's really hard to tell on others vehicles. I'm borrowing some from Nismomike this week so I can test the Avid springs too. I was told not to bother with the Losi springs since the Avids are better.
I was going to try Losi greens in the front and yellow in the rear which is close to the AE springs I'm running now. In stead I'm trying the Avid yellow up front and Red in the rear. My truck is dialed right now, so I think I can get a good feel just how much better they are for me.
yeah man i feel ya, as of right now my truck is running great but i know it could b a lil bit faster. for the last few races i have finished in on the podium but not in the one spot the fast guys are in the high 17 in stock sc but im in the very low 18 and may sneak a high 17 in but not consistent so i kno my truck can b faster but how?
on the stock sc im running chad due setup with some changes such as
ride height f30 r29
1 washer under front ball stud on tower
inside on front arms
toe f-.5 r .5 hub carrier
camber -1.5
oil f 35 r 32.5
front limiters 3
i was thinking about adding the ballast but dnt know if i need it tho

i want to try Nisomike sut up in my superstock truck so i can see how it feels but what i want to know about it is, im wondering is it a aggresive setup cause i have the latest Ryan M. on it and the sterring is very agressive or twitch i should say but i still would like to test ur out man.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

yeah man i feel ya, as of right now my truck is running great but i know it could b a lil bit faster. for the last few races i have finished in on the podium but not in the one spot the fast guys are in the high 17 in stock sc but im in the very low 18 and may sneak a high 17 in but not consistent so i kno my truck can b faster but how?
on the stock sc im running chad due setup with some changes such as
ride height f30 r29
1 washer under front ball stud on tower
inside on front arms
toe f-.5 r .5 hub carrier
camber -1.5
oil f 35 r 32.5
front limiters 3
i was thinking about adding the ballast but dnt know if i need it tho

i want to try Nisomike sut up in my superstock truck so i can see how it feels but what i want to know about it is, im wondering is it a aggresive setup cause i have the latest Ryan M. on it and the sterring is very agressive or twitch i should say but i still would like to test ur out man.
Nismomike's and I race together all the time and we talk setup all the time. He's got some good tips he's passed along. We are running a setup based off the Maifield setup as well. We did change a few things as his may be a bit different from mine now.
But we noticed the twitchyness too and we run one spacer under the bump steer spacer. That helped remove some of the twitchyness, especially on bumps and jump landings. I used EXPO on my Radio to help even more. I also run 0 front toe. Less turn in since it already has enough.
With the 3 limiters, that will make your truck roll more in corners too.

Maybe Mike will post his up later, here's my current setup:
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/...ries-race4.jpg

Last edited by J_Bone; 06-03-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Tech Addict

Nismomike's and I race together all the time and we talk setup all the time. He's got some good tips he's passed along. We are running a setup based off the Maifield setup as well. We did change a few things as his may be a bit different from mine now.
But we noticed the twitchyness too and we run one spacer under the bump steer spacer. That helped remove some of the twitchyness, especially on bumps and jump landings. I used EXPO on my Radio to help even more. I also run 0 front toe. Less turn in since it already has enough.
With the 3 limiters, that will make your truck roll more in corners too.

Maybe Mike will post his up later, here's my current setup:
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/...ries-race4.jpg
i dont understand what u mean by your bypass1 in the piston and the limiters what are u saying right there? by moving my wheelbase from short to med what will this do to the truck ? but for my track lay out i have to keep a low ride height cause of traction rolling in the sweeper lol. with 3.5 toe and .5 hub do your truck push and i know your back end must b very tight huh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.