Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree24Likes

SC10 Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=GreenSC10;10857318]I went with losi bottom, traxas collars, and losi springs, I havent tried it yet. 1.8 in the rear and 3.5 up front. Any one use this?[/QUOT

If I'm not mistaken that is. White rear and green ft. They wrk well, my track is indoor high bite clay with a few jumps and not real heavy bumpy section so my oil is a lil stiff with these springs and my truck feels good overall
Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gamedog1966

If I'm not mistaken that is. White rear and green ft. They wrk well, my track is indoor high bite clay with a few jumps and not real heavy bumpy section so my oil is a lil stiff with these springs and my truck feels good overall
Thanks for the info, we race on sat and the track is bumpy low traction so I hope my set up with this mod pays off.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GreenSC10
I went with losi bottom, traxas collars, and losi springs, I havent tried it yet. 1.8 in the rear and 3.5 up front. Any one use this?
I ran mine that way. The AE guys at NW SC nationals used the Avid BB springs yellow springs front and rear. They use that set up everywhere. I did not care for the losi front springs. Picking up the Avid springs to run next.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Hey lake were u able to tell a big diff with the avids and did u like em? What collors and bottom cups did u use?
Sorry to be misleading... I actually haven't even tried the Avid BB's yet, I was just speaking from what the general consensus was on big bore setup. A LOT of the pro's and really good guys, are giving a thumbs-up to the Avid's, so I figured they'd be fine to recommend to someone who really wants to put on big bores.

My overall experience with big bore springs is this:
A few months ago, everyone was talking about the Losi conversion, so I decided I would do it to. I paid $20 for custom machined aluminum cups and retainers (which were made by a member on this board, and were very nicely made). I then ended up buying about 6 sets of Losi bb shocks, just trying to match the performance of my stock AE setup. Every single combo I tried didn't feel quite as stiff as my AE spring setup. So, after spending about $60 and lots of effort, I'm back to the AE springs... which I am much happier with.

Now, I know the Avid's are out, and everyone is saying they're great (and I'm sure they are, I have lots of other Avid stuff on my truck, and it's all excellent). But, I truly like how my AE springs feel and really am not that interested in paying $44 to get 6 sets of Avid springs, when I know I'm only going to use the 2 stiffest sets. I may consider buying the Avid bb's when they release them in single pairs, but until then, I'm definitely gonna hold off (or atleast until the actual AE big bore shocks come out). I don't doubt the Avid's work good, just not worth $44 to me
Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg
I ran mine that way. The AE guys at NW SC nationals used the Avid BB springs yellow springs front and rear. They use that set up everywhere. I did not care for the losi front springs. Picking up the Avid springs to run next.
smart move

Only thing they changed was using green compound instead of gold...
Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

If ur track is low traction u might want to soften the oil and spring and up ft I think it will be the 22t blue.
I'm thinking of trying the avids soon, I have a large amount of losi bb so idk when ill try the avids. Mayb use a buddies and then check my lap times that will help me make up my mind there
Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Tech Champion

Nothing is as bad as Kyosho springs at 20 bucks a pair!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
smart move

Only thing they changed was using green compound instead of gold...
Wish I had them. My two wheel tuning skills were hurting.Borrowed a truck to run. Once a year running two wheel is not enough. Picked up a new 2w with all the goodies this week. Time to put some work in at the track.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Lake Ober
Sorry to be misleading... I actually haven't even tried the Avid BB's yet, I was just speaking from what the general consensus was on big bore setup. A LOT of the pro's and really good guys, are giving a thumbs-up to the Avid's, so I figured they'd be fine to recommend to someone who really wants to put on big bores.

My overall experience with big bore springs is this:
A few months ago, everyone was talking about the Losi conversion, so I decided I would do it to. I paid $20 for custom machined aluminum cups and retainers (which were made by a member on this board, and were very nicely made). I then ended up buying about 6 sets of Losi bb shocks, just trying to match the performance of my stock AE setup. Every single combo I tried didn't feel quite as stiff as my AE spring setup. So, after spending about $60 and lots of effort, I'm back to the AE springs... which I am much happier with.

Now, I know the Avid's are out, and everyone is saying they're great (and I'm sure they are, I have lots of other Avid stuff on my truck, and it's all excellent). But, I truly like how my AE springs feel and really am not that interested in paying $44 to get 6 sets of Avid springs, when I know I'm only going to use the 2 stiffest sets. I may consider buying the Avid bb's when they release them in single pairs, but until then, I'm definitely gonna hold off (or atleast until the actual AE big bore shocks come out). I don't doubt the Avid's work good, just not worth $44 to me
Ok I gotcha, I wanted to try the pins u sent me but man I'm bck n the woods just like last wk lol mayb try em this wkend. How did u cut em?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I could never get the Losi BB springs to work or feel right on my truck. Always put the AE springs back on and it was much better. Got Avid springs on my truck now and they have been working awesome. Real happy with them.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Ok I gotcha, I wanted to try the pins u sent me but man I'm bck n the woods just like last wk lol mayb try em this wkend. How did u cut em?
I just cut them with a good pair of wire cutters, but another guy at my track said he uses a Dremel to cut them down. Either one works just fine
Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Tech Addict

I was able to do that mod while I was there, but I didn't like how it felt, Ill try this out and if the front is too soft Ill spring for the avids....

Also I run 27.5 fluid in the rear and 32.5 fluid up front with 3 & 2 piston on the current setup. If you look at spring rate why would avids be better than losi? I would assume that the material to make the springs is the same and both being a 12mm bore the only difference would be the spring rate, which depending on your setup and driving style either would work, right?

Last edited by GreenSC10; 06-13-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

I was able to do that mod while I was there, but I didn't like how it felt, Ill try this out and if the front is too soft Ill spring for the avids....

Also I run 27.5 fluid in the rear and 32.5 fluid up front with 3 & 2 piston on the current setup. If you look at spring rate why would avids be better than losi? I would assume that the material to make the springs is the same and both being a 12mm bore the only difference would be the spring rate, which depending on your setup and driving style either would work, right?
Springs can have the same rate but have difference coil binds.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

Springs can have the same rate but have difference coil binds.
Pro's and con of small and large coils?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Nothing is as bad as Kyosho springs at 20 bucks a pair!
Amen Brother!! There's a guy at my track running Kyosho springs and loves them. But I paid $2 more and got 3 sets.

That goes with the theory of why people tried the Losi springs over the Associated ones to begin with. They seemed to work with the 2wd buggies, but no one I knew liked them on the SC10.
I too was fine with Associated springs until Nismomike twisted my arm and forced me to run his springs....
My first race with the Avid springs I lowered my lap times and was even more consistent. He posted the times a page or two back after I said I didn't really feel the difference. I gained over a second a lap. That's over one lap extra!! It made the truck that much easier to drive since the chassis wasn't getting jolted as much. But I'm also running them with MIP bypass1 shock pistons which I highly recommend. Those are another tuning aide for the shocks and have made the biggest improvement in my truck.

Last edited by J_Bone; 06-13-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.