Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2wd buggy CAD development

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A computer model is useless without some way of actually creating the part....

Oh wait, I can!
Old 05-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Watching you do this in inventor hurts.... I wouldn't touch any form of autocad with a 10ft stick accept the CNC I use needs it for vector construction

Try solidworks (or Catia if your a real BA) - rent/student/buy/bootleg[not that I condone pirating, but the cost of a real CAD program puts the comman man in a bit of a catch 22],what ever, just know that being limited by CAD is going to kill your project very quickly. Pen and paper work best sometimes for a reason

Heck, I'm on my third complete car in solidworks! I couldent get past the front bulkheads in inventor, which I had first BTW
Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by annonymous
Watching you do this in inventor hurts.... I wouldn't touch any form of autocad with a 10ft stick accept the CNC I use needs it for vector construction

Try solidworks (or Catia if your a real BA) - rent/student/buy/bootleg[not that I condone pirating, but the cost of a real CAD program puts the comman man in a bit of a catch 22],what ever, just know that being limited by CAD is going to kill your project very quickly. Pen and paper work best sometimes for a reason

Heck, I'm on my third complete car in solidworks! I couldent get past the front bulkheads in inventor, which I had first BTW
Ill look at it; see if I can get it. I've always been pretty good with inventor, even though its very slow.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcboy1
Ill look at it; see if I can get it. I've always been pretty good with inventor, even though its very slow.

My point exactly - don't kid yourself, your in the "get your ideas on paper" stage, expect to create several revisions of the exact product, and rapid drawing aids that. You can by hyper-anal about your drawings in inventor on your final draft (although I doubt youll go back )
Old 05-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since I use both Inventor and Solidworks I have no idea what the gripe is. They are extremely similar to each other and I don't find one to be any slower than the other. I like each one for different reasons but find neither to be limiting. If one of them is slow then it's a computer issue and not a software issue. I don't have any problems.

I tend to lay everything out in AutoCAD in 2D before hand. It is much easier to get the design done in 2D and then finalize it in 3D later.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

I wouldn't know, I haven't been able to try the other one out.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJMac
Unigraphics or GTFO!

B44.1 wing mount created in Unigraphics NX6.

haha very nice. yeah im currently studying drafting and am useing autocad for 2d and 3d drawing. Its not to bad but inventor, solidworks etc are a hell of alot better than autocad for 3d stuff.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

hopefully going to be able to get some time in today to work on it...
Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rcboy1
hopefully going to be able to get some time in today to work on it...
How is the project going?

Last edited by Traxxas rules; 10-21-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Ive essentially scrapped it. Now that I have the opportunites to directly work with Caster and develop the cars as a driver, and work with team drivers and people and the process of business as team manager, there is really no need for this. Especially since Caster is diving into other classes...