Community
Wiki Posts
Search

motor heat, what will create more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default motor heat, what will create more?

Same vehicle
Same gearing
Same run time
Same track
Same tires
Same everything except the motor.
One is a 7.5, the other a 13.5.
Which one will be hotter after a run?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Pretty sure a 13.5 because it will be spinning at a higher RPM then the 7.5.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

It depends on what the gearing is. If its geared for a 13.5 and you drop a 7.5 in the 7.5 will run hotter. If its geared for the 7.5 and you drop the 13.5 in the 13.5 will run hotter. If you think you will use the motors interchangeably without changing gearing be prepared for a smoke show.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Odin544
It depends on what the gearing is. If its geared for a 13.5 and you drop a 7.5 in the 7.5 will run hotter. If its geared for the 7.5 and you drop the 13.5 in the 13.5 will run hotter. If you think you will use the motors interchangeably without changing gearing be prepared for a smoke show.
+1 to that, they will both need different gearing so they do not overheat
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

X A Billion... / of thread
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

How so? I understand the other way around, but this I don't get.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
How so? I understand the other way around, but this I don't get.
one the motor will be labouring not in the correct rev range

the other is the motor is going to be reving to much

both ways create excess heat IMO
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Overrevving.... Think of it like red-lining you real car in 1st gear. It's easy for the engine to push the car because of the gearing, but it's hard in the engine because the rpm are too high.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:32 AM
Tech Rookie

That depends.

Every Motor has a Range of Load (in Amps) where it works optimal.

A low turn (high kv) Motor will waste more Power when it has not much load.

A high turn (low kv) Motor will need less power for simply turning its rotor, but if you put too much amps on it it will eat them without giving appropriate ouput.

So:

If you gear your car slow: The 13.5 will run cooler, if you gear fast you will need the 7.5 because the 13.5 is unable to do that.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

The reason for me starting this thread was essentially to do some research on a race we have coming up. It's an enduro race, 200 laps, will take about 2 hours to complete. I'm just trying to figure out which motor would be my best bet for controlling the heat but still have decent speed. I know with my 13.5(class I usually run), I have it geared as high as possible to be at the upper range in temps after the main. And what Prokktor said in regards to each motor having an optimal range, that makes sense. With that said, I think I'll run the 7.5, geared at the lower end of it's "optimal" range and hope for the best. Thanks for the help guys.

BTW, this enduro race in an open class race so I can choose any motor and any timing.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

My track runs an EIGHT hour short course enduro every year on new years, and we all have to run 13.5 zero boost. We gear our 13.5s around 87/20. I also wired up a tiny little fan to blow across the motor which helped a bit, but the motors run cool all day, usually under 110. Geared that low, they aren't that fast however. But in an enduro, it's more about "not breaking" and battery changes then anything else.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

In that case it shouldn't matter what motor. Heat will be dependent on gearing, motor timing, boost etc. Gear it properly and you'll be okay. Something like that I'd run in a blinky mode. And spend some time experimenting with gear ratios. Contact the motor manufacturer and see what they say for your situation.

One thing to consider is you will get more battery life from a higher turn motor I believe. Which would equal less pit stops for battery changes etc.

Sounds like a fun race.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

In that case it shouldn't matter what motor. Heat will be dependent on gearing, motor timing, boost etc. Gear it properly and you'll be okay. Something like that I'd run in a blinky mode. And spend some time experimenting with gear ratios. Contact the motor manufacturer and see what they say for your situation.

One thing to consider is you will get more battery life from a higher turn motor I believe. Which would equal less pit stops for battery changes etc.

Sounds like a fun race.
Hmm, good point. Everyone agree? I haven't been on this layout yet so everything could change. Jump gaps, straight length, run-ups, etc. I guess I won't rule out the 13.5 just yet. Small and technical might be good for a smaller motor, right? More torque?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
Hmm, good point. Everyone agree? I haven't been on this layout yet so everything could change. Jump gaps, straight length, run-ups, etc. I guess I won't rule out the 13.5 just yet. Small and technical might be good for a smaller motor, right? More torque?
Correct. It would just depend on layout. The faster motor isn't always the answer. Especially if you never use the speed it offers.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

if it was me i would be using the 7.5 in blinky mode then if you find your not using all the power then turn your transmitter down to say 80 or 90% and drive with out excessive spinning wheels etc

ease of the gas and roll into the corners and you will find your lipo changes will last a long time and you will have no excess heat in motor or speedie

example i raced a truggy 30 minute final last year and in the heats i normally use about 2800 to 3200 mah on my 5500mah lipos , well i went into the final think ok drive smooth and turn everything down to 80% still had enough speed to jump all jumps but just not as much top end , in saying that i took my pit stop at the 16 mintute mark and then then completed the race on a 1 stop etc

to my surprise after 16 or 17 minutes running i still only put 3400 to 3500mah back into the lipos , i damn near could have run the whole race , this was driving it very easy and rolling into corners and using the cars weight and speed to keep momentium etc

good luck it sounds like fun a endro and its something i would like to have a go at as well