R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Burnt two ESCs...lipo question...

Okay..burnt a hobbywing 60a esc and now a castle sidewinder...only thing i can think of is the battery...using a Gens Ace 5000 2S 40C lipo pack with the plug in type terminals...my question is, if the balancing terminal (the middle plug) isn't used when the battery is plugged in (default plug I used has all three prongs; I just left it dangling and unplugged as it doesn't work on a Blitz due to the battery holder impeding on the middle hole), would it cause the ESCs to burn? I've used the lipo numerous times in a slash with zero probs but I did have the middle prong plugged in. Any ideas? Do I need to make new plugs that don't have the balancing ports installed?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Those balance plugs should never be in use on the vehicle unless you have a low voltage buzzer or something separate.

I would honestly say its because you are using cheap electronics. Ive tried chinese ESCs, and they all die pretty quickly. Water damage could also be a factor. The traxxas electronics are fairly water resistant, and your other stuff isnt.

What motor are you using?

on 2s, most standard ESCs wont be under too much load unless you use a really high Kv motor capable of pulling extra amps. Traxxas claims their motor is capable of pulling 65 amps continuous, which is more than the 60 amp rating on the hobbywing esc.
HB D8T-LRP iX8, Tekin T8 2250Kv
HB D8-going electric
HobbytownGBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't let the fact that Hobbywing is Chinese fool you. It is quality stuff. Speed Passion ESCs are essentially just rebadged Hobbywings.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I just started using the plug-in style lipos. I've ran it in multiple R/C's without the single balance wire hooked up with no problems.
I even made a power cable that doesn't even have a balance tap on it. That way I don't have to deal with the plug getting in the way when I run it.

Sounds like your running too much gear. Have you checked temps after a run?
LanceBuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RatsacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceBuku View Post
I agree with this. Sounds like you're killing your ESC's with heat.

Ignore HobbytownGBW. He obviously has no idea what he's talking about. I've used many Hobbywing and HobbyKing ESC's without an issue (if there was an issue, it was not the ESC's fault).
Spektrum DX3C
RatsacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
dtr
Tech Master

The cable, especially the banana plugs on it that comes with the battery are only for charging; they do not have good enough contact for offroad racing. Use bullet connectors instead.
dtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
I just started using the plug-in style lipos. I've ran it in multiple R/C's without the single balance wire hooked up with no problems.
I even made a power cable that doesn't even have a balance tap on it. That way I don't have to deal with the plug getting in the way when I run it.

Definitely not the gearing...both burnt very quickly after plugging in. I didn't even run the castle ESC; just plugged in and then SMOKE. The Hobbywing I did run for about 2 mins and then POOF. As far as connectors go, I only run genuine Deans plugs so probably not that. Maybe the ESCs were just too old (Both been used for at least a year) or damp as both had been in my basement all winter. I've been in this hobby for 20+ years and this is the strangest thing...only thing it could be is perhaps the lipo pack went bad as I did check all connectors posi/posi and neg/neg as well as all motor connectors. Both ESCs fried with different motors too so that's probably not the issue either (castle 4600kv and a tacon 3200kv).
Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbytownGBW View Post
Those balance plugs should never be in use on the vehicle unless you have a low voltage buzzer or something separate.

I would honestly say its because you are using cheap electronics. Ive tried chinese ESCs, and they all die pretty quickly. Water damage could also be a factor. The traxxas electronics are fairly water resistant, and your other stuff isnt.

on 2s, most standard ESCs wont be under too much load unless you use a really high Kv motor capable of pulling extra amps. Traxxas claims their motor is capable of pulling 65 amps continuous, which is more than the 60 amp rating on the hobbywing esc.
everything in the above post doesnt really make any sense.

I have seen more lrp/tekin/castle stuff fail than i have seen HW stuff fail. In the end, most components in esc's in general are chinese. Just assembled in the US. They all have there issues here and there.

On another note, having the balance wire not plugged in should not make any difference. I run mine the same way as you are. if your sure its not a gearing issue then it could be just a stroke of bad luck. Sitting in a high moisture area for a exteneded period of time shouldnt have any real affect but i suppose anything is possible.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you have a ohm meter measure the three motor leads for dead shorts. Put one meter lead on a motor terminal and the other to the motor case ( you might have to scratch off the coating to get a proper ground. None of the windings should be shorted to ground. But they should have similar resistance between themselves. Additionally in my experience most if not all gens ace batteries have a fuse built into them, so even if its plugged in backwards it shouldn't harm the esc.
jsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovalracer1m View Post
everything in the above post doesnt really make any sense.

I have seen more lrp/tekin/castle stuff fail than i have seen HW stuff fail. In the end, most components in esc's in general are chinese. Just assembled in the US. They all have there issues here and there.

On another note, having the balance wire not plugged in should not make any difference. I run mine the same way as you are. if your sure its not a gearing issue then it could be just a stroke of bad luck. Sitting in a high moisture area for a exteneded period of time shouldnt have any real affect but i suppose anything is possible.
I pretty much disregarded that post about hobbywing being junk...and yes, i can only assume its been a stroke of bad luck as I've run both ESCs with that exact battery hard in my Slashes last year before making the switch to a Blitz which didn't allow the use of the balancing plug. I just bought a new Duratrax DE10 ESC so I'll see how that goes.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinclair View Post
If you have a ohm meter measure the three motor leads for dead shorts. Put one meter lead on a motor terminal and the other to the motor case ( you might have to scratch off the coating to get a proper ground. None of the windings should be shorted to ground. But they should have similar resistance between themselves. Additionally in my experience most if not all gens ace batteries have a fuse built into them, so even if its plugged in backwards it shouldn't harm the esc.
That's really useful info..thanks man!!! Good to know about the Gens Ace brand lipos.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbytownGBW View Post

Thats laughable!!! HW are the most reliable ESCs I have used thus far. Used rebadged old hpis LRPs etc and have them all fail at one point or the other. Point is my HWs last the longest with most abuse hurled at them..... I have used the 1/10 scale rated hobbywing 120A on a 1/8 scale conversion with a sc401 motor which has huge wattage and it runs fine. Also the 60A rating on the HW escs is underrated, testing done by this guy says that http://www.brushlesshobbies.com/80A-...mer_p_112.html

For the op I would check with a different battery of course but also see your soldering on the ESC side and see if there are any shorts between terminals. You can use a cheap multimeter if you have one (Harbor freight sells em for cheap like 10 bucks or so).
Old 04-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta03 tuner View Post
I pretty much disregarded that post about hobbywing being junk...and yes, i can only assume its been a stroke of bad luck as I've run both ESCs with that exact battery hard in my Slashes last year before making the switch to a Blitz which didn't allow the use of the balancing plug. I just bought a new Duratrax DE10 ESC so I'll see how that goes.
running the car without the balancing plug doesnt do anything that plug is only needed for when charging most of the time, its just the same as like when people just run bullets right from there esc's to the battery, there is no balance plug needed while driving and yah it just sounds like bad luck to me but the castle should be under warranty depending on if its new or recently purchased or not? and same with the hobbywing like i said depending on if its new or recently purchased or not?
rcduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
Tech Adept

The only other thing I can come up with would be the servos over amping the BEC's, either with a short or too much amp draw from a Hi Torque servo.
I'd check for a short like jsinclair suggested but you should also check the motor leads. There should be continuity between any two motor leads.

jsinclair, have you seen the fuse for the GenAce's? I've never seen one in a lipo yet so that you be a first for me.
LanceBuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
The only other thing I can come up with would be the servos over amping the BEC's, either with a short or too much amp draw from a Hi Torque servo.
I'd check for a short like jsinclair suggested but you should also check for a short in the motor leads. There should be no continuity between any two motor leads on most motors.
Hmm...servo used was just a basic Traxxas 2075 but at this point, who knows...I'll check for a short in the motor leads too but the fact that I blew two escs with two different motors is odd. I must be that unlucky this year lol...a sign meaning I need more new stuff.