Children Repellents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Children Repellents

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Tech Initiate

I live in Flint, MI for 6 months out of the year for school and im in a pretty shady neighborhood and one kid asked me if he could try my truck for a drive. I told him straight, that it costs about 500 dollars and if you broke anything you would have to pay that 500 dollars.

They just look at you like its a million bucks and walk away. lol
Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

as long as i know that there is nothing to run into i let them try it for a min honestly they cant hurt it any worse than i can they flip it right off the line i on the other hand have a knack for getting it up to speed before doing 12 dozen flips ahh its just a replaceable toy pay it forward maybe you will make the sport grow
Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

I welcome kids at our track, they make great turn marshals lol
Old 03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I take my gear to the park all the time, and the kids around here occasionally ask to have a go with it.

If the parents are around, sometimes I'll give them a quick How-To Lesson with the radio, turn the EPA down 50-75%, then let them tool around with it. But only if the parent is standing over the kid.

Kids by themselves? Nope, go away. If they don't go away, my gear goes back in the car until they go away. Haven't had anybody push that one yet.

Only ever let one kid in recent history drive something I own (My Slash) at full power, and that's because he had just finished doing some 3D stuff with his car full of electric Heli's. I wasn't worried about him being careless.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tony Corley
It's not an issue to me, because my 10 yr old child will probably put 2 or more laps on most of you in a 5 minute qualifier
1+
Old 03-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WindDrake
I take my gear to the park all the time, and the kids around here occasionally ask to have a go with it.

If the parents are around, sometimes I'll give them a quick How-To Lesson with the radio, turn the EPA down 50-75%, then let them tool around with it. But only if the parent is standing over the kid.

Kids by themselves? Nope, go away. If they don't go away, my gear goes back in the car until they go away. Haven't had anybody push that one yet.

Only ever let one kid in recent history drive something I own (My Slash) at full power, and that's because he had just finished doing some 3D stuff with his car full of electric Heli's. I wasn't worried about him being careless.
+1 - Encourage without risking too much. A kid having driving one is most likely a kid wanting an RC car, and that's a good thing for the hobby.

I have happily handed my car over to relative newbies and bashers I meet that express and interest in Buggy to do some laps at the track. It was always a little... ummm, nervy with 1/8th but 1/10th is relatively inexpensive if something breaks. Yet to have it happen, so far anyone I have handed my cars to have treated them with respect. Last time to really not worry about breaking it and push a little for corner speed as he was being so careful.

Obviously I don't recommend handing over your race car to the guy driving into everything and everyone then laughing about it...

Last edited by IanWright; 03-21-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by elex300
Buy a 1/5 scale and start breaking ankles
Nowadays you don't even need a 1/5... freaking 1/36 scale cars go fast enough to break a ankle lmao
Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rickybobbyxxx
I welcome kids at our track, they make great turn marshals lol
some kids yes. then you end up touching wheels with someone at a corner with a 10yr old standing their taking a "50 take" both ways and wont budge untill they have a 30 second window between cars lol. but what can you do I hate when people stand on the drivers stand yelling at marshals 3 times a lap xD
Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

But back on the topic, i have a "basher truck" its a RTR HPI blitz with just aluminum blocks and carriers run a hobbywing 60Amp 9t combo. 2wd so hard for "rookies" to really get it going fast plus its cheap and bulletproof. i paid $180 for the truck and $60 for the esc motor combo. i leave the stock piece of crap servo in and run cheap 2s soft cell lipos from hobbyking. its fast enough for me to be happy bashing around, and hard enough to drive for everyone that asks
Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Forget about going to the park and go to the race track instead.
Much more fun and better for the hobby. And then if kids ask you for a drive there is a good chance they are better than you at driving it anyway.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

go to the park dressed as one of the bad guys from Mad Max. you know, mohawk and everything. Oh wait, you might attract a different kind of crowd...
Old 03-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cdubs
I live in Flint, MI for 6 months out of the year for school and im in a pretty shady neighborhood and one kid asked me if he could try my truck for a drive. I told him straight, that it costs about 500 dollars and if you broke anything you would have to pay that 500 dollars.

They just look at you like its a million bucks and walk away. lol
Ik that area and the kid probably would have stolen it you gave a "try"
Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have had kids ask to drive my E-Revo before and I always tell them no. The best response I have ever heard is "Well I have a Zip-Zap and its really fast so that means I can drive your truck cause its fast too" I laughed at him and walked away. You could also try spitting rocks their way, usually scares them and they leave without hurting them, but some think its cool and want to play with it more.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I don't understand the big deal in letting a kid drive. Afterall, they are just toys. Didn't your mothers teach you to share your toys? And since most of these people in the parks are just using bashers anyway, whats the big deal? They don't cost that much to begin with.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

just say they can have a go, but you need to see there rc car license first

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.