Wiki Posts
Search

Cost of Entry Fees getting out of control

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
Did you guys ever consider the possibility that they upped the price to reduce the size of the field? Its a great way to pull in the same amount of revenue while lowering fixed [per entrant] costs. Great tactic from a business perspective. One the same note they could have capped the # of entries....I don't know. I can afford it but I'm not at the level where I could justify the cost unless all the boys from the local track went and it was an excuse to hang out and get away from the wife & kids....can't put a price on good vacation/leisure time.
I can see the rationale with that, less entries equal shorter program, and guys aren't there 16-18 hours to get through the days schedule. Makes sence really...
Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

I'm sorry but $95 to enter a RC Car race, no matter what you are getting, is steep. It is an RC Car Race! Their are some big time dirt modified shows that don't even cost that much to enter and they have pay outs!!! I'm sorry but when I can go and enter a full scale racing event for cheaper than a RC Car event then I must think this hobby has some problems.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twigman08
I'm sorry but $95 to enter a RC Car race, no matter what you are getting, is steep. It is an RC Car Race! Their are some big time dirt modified shows that don't even cost that much to enter and they have pay outs!!! I'm sorry but when I can go and enter a full scale racing event for cheaper than a RC Car event then I must think this hobby has some problems.
How much would you be paying in travel and lodgings?

For most... entry fee would be the cheapest part of the event.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
Did you guys ever consider the possibility that they upped the price to reduce the size of the field? Its a great way to pull in the same amount of revenue while lowering fixed [per entrant] costs. Great tactic from a business perspective. One the same note they could have capped the # of entries....I don't know. I can afford it but I'm not at the level where I could justify the cost unless all the boys from the local track went and it was an excuse to hang out and get away from the wife & kids....can't put a price on good vacation/leisure time.

The other side of that is that from purely a business point of view, if say for the last two years they had to turn away people because they were fully booked, then they were charging too little and price rise is the correct thing to do.

Things tend to set their own financial value... racing at a premium track at a premium event is sooner or later going to have a premium price tag.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why does everybody think things should be so cheap, whos built a track lately of this caliber, bought an AMB system, built some buildings, JUST FOR RC! Im sure theres some serious expense risks taken BEFORE they even know whos going to show up.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wanabefast
Why does everybody think things should be so cheap, whos built a track lately of this caliber, bought an AMB system, built some buildings, JUST FOR RC! Im sure theres some serious expense risks taken BEFORE they even know whos going to show up.
You can't expect to make your money back immediately, it takes years. I am in the automotive repair field. I have $20k in tools and still have other bills to pay. The shop owner has hundreds of thousands in tool we need to work on cars. Its over $10,000 to update our scan tools every year. By your logic, we should charge customers $3000 and hour to pay for our up front costs.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im a mechanic too, My snap-on SH** wasnt cheap either, but I wont work for under a certain wage either. And if you want to be THE BEST its 95 dollars a day. If not then someone else should make a cheaper track to race at and create competition for racers.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Zing, $95 for first class well I guess i'm not going. Although our regular club nights here at High Desert aren't much better at $22.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Our club days are $5 for members and $8 for non members, we even cop flak for that, Racing is from 9:30am SUnday untill about 4 or 4:30pm,

So about 9 hours of a racing day for $5 and people still complain.

You can win either way when your running a Club.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE

Someoene else said its like complaining about the 500k car and gasonline. No, it would be like having a 500k car and instead of the mechanic charging you the regular $80 an hour labor rate, he charges you $200 an hour just because you have an expensive car.[/QUOTE]

They do, not just for 500k cars go to a land rover or Porsche dealership.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jsinclair
They do, not just for 500k cars go to a land rover or Porsche dealership.
Keyword, you said dealership. Much more overhead than a Certified mechanic that doesn't have to worry about paying the detail employees, receptionis, 10acre property tax for the lot etc.

Texas std is $20 club race-$25 city wide HARC race. 80+ entries once a month.

An RC race shouldn't be one of the most expensive items of your weekend. $95 can get you a suite in some cities. $50-$75 should be a cap and the mfg's should promote that IMO. That's a way to show you are for your paying customers that work 9hr days.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kstoracing1
Keyword, you said dealership. Much more overhead than a Certified mechanic that doesn't have to worry about paying the detail employees, receptionis, 10acre property tax for the lot etc.

Texas std is $20 club race-$25 city wide HARC race. 80+ entries once a month.

An RC race shouldn't be one of the most expensive items of your weekend. $95 can get you a suite in some cities. $50-$75 should be a cap and the mfg's should promote that IMO. That's a way to show you are for your paying customers that work 9hr days.
I thought everything was bigger in Texas?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

the cactus classic may be an exception but price does matter. My track charges 15 for regular club races, 18 for special saturday (ALL DAY race) races, and 50 to 70 for his big races. the pits are always packed because he's reasonable (besides being an awesome guy/track owner). I've never been to the cactus but i have heard about it from guys that have gone multiple times. it's a good time but it isn't cheap. When you really think about it, an extra couple of dollars for an already expensive race where you are guaranteed to see some great racing from the best in r/c really isn't that bad. I see people trying to rationalize it any way they can and it simply comes down to what the race directors are going to do for the $95 up front.

Now on the other hand, on principle alone, I wouldn't pay that money and just hope someone puts the mains on youtube so i can watch them a week or so later. I think a few pages back an official from cactus lowered the second class fee and reminded everyone that they are getting a pitboard or t shirt or something. idk and i'm just not motivated enough to search and find the specifics.

To the people that have gone, what about the race is not worth the price increase? is it you or the race program?

i'm not trying to be condescending but honestly asking a question.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
I thought everything was bigger in Texas?
Ha Ha, except for the cost of living and in some cases RC.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cnelson3
the cactus classic may be an exception but price does matter. My track charges 15 for regular club races, 18 for special saturday (ALL DAY race) races, and 50 to 70 for his big races. the pits are always packed because he's reasonable (besides being an awesome guy/track owner). I've never been to the cactus but i have heard about it from guys that have gone multiple times. it's a good time but it isn't cheap. When you really think about it, an extra couple of dollars for an already expensive race where you are guaranteed to see some great racing from the best in r/c really isn't that bad. I see people trying to rationalize it any way they can and it simply comes down to what the race directors are going to do for the $95 up front.

Now on the other hand, on principle alone, I wouldn't pay that money and just hope someone puts the mains on youtube so i can watch them a week or so later. I think a few pages back an official from cactus lowered the second class fee and reminded everyone that they are getting a pitboard or t shirt or something. idk and i'm just not motivated enough to search and find the specifics.

To the people that have gone, what about the race is not worth the price increase? is it you or the race program?

i'm not trying to be condescending but honestly asking a question.
I think with a cost like that you should get a setup board and a t-shirt. I didnt see where you got a board though. That makes the sting a lil nicer. However, if it was in my area, I would support my local race. $95 on my home track is a lot easier to take. I wouldn't tell the wife the cost though and, no way in hell I would miss that race. I'd be there in a wheel chair and IVs if need be....lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.