Wiki Posts
Search

Why Hasn't E-1/8 Taken Off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
This is the organizers fault. As a race fan I will watch any racing. In general, TV announcers give the viewer a good idea of what is happening. RC race announcing is geared solely towards the people on the stand driving that single race. When someone says Hohwart is in the lead or explaining that so and so just did a 15.4 means nothing to the spectator.

I've raced races where spectator pay to get in (1500 people in Lyon, France) so it can be a spectator sport if someone wanted it to be.

1/8 electric is too expensive for most people plain and simple.
How is it too expensive? I got more tied up in my SCT than 8th scale. Batteries cost $40 bucks. Even hardcase ROAR packs aren't that expensive anymore. About the only cheaper thing in my experience with SCT 4wd has been the motor, but that was only like $20/$30 bucks cheaper than and 8th scale motor. Most guys are running 8th scale ESCs. TIres cost the same if not more.

Kits look cheaper, but nearly every kit requires enough in upgrades that the total cost exceeds the cost of an 8th scale kit. Heck, I just bought an AE SC10 4x4. On top of all the upgrades needed, I could have bought the new AE 8.2e.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
How is it too expensive? I got more tied up in my SCT than 8th scale. Batteries cost $40 bucks. Even hardcase ROAR packs aren't that expensive anymore. About the only cheaper thing in my experience with SCT 4wd has been the motor, but that was only like $20/$30 bucks cheaper than and 8th scale motor. Most guys are running 8th scale ESCs. TIres cost the same if not more.

Kits look cheaper, but nearly every kit requires enough in upgrades that the total cost exceeds the cost of an 8th scale kit. Heck, I just bought an AE SC10 4x4. On top of all the upgrades needed, I could have bought the new AE 8.2e.
+1 on the expense, the cost is no more than anything else if you spend wisely
Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is the organizers fault. As a race fan I will watch any racing. In general, TV announcers give the viewer a good idea of what is happening. RC race announcing is geared solely towards the people on the stand driving that single race. When someone says Hohwart is in the lead or explaining that so and so just did a 15.4 means nothing to the spectator.

I've raced races where spectator pay to get in (1500 people in Lyon, France) so it can be a spectator sport if someone wanted it to be.

100% correct"

If our announcers would learn to announce the leader is the red & white
truck,second is the blue & gold truck 3.7 seconds back. Or we did like the
old days where everyone ran with numbers on their cars/trucks the
announcers could learn to announce numbers and positions and the
spectators would be able to enjoy watching R/C races just like full size
racing...
Old 12-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There is definitely a cost factor in this equation, but that goes for anything 8th scale vehicles and 10th scale 4WDs....

You know what's ironic?....After hearing all of the nitro vs. electric comments, like we hear in all threads sooner or later, I find it "ironic" that the nitro guys dump on the electric guys for using batteries to run there RC vehicle....The electric guys, in most cases run 1 battery to run there RC....whereas the nitro guy needs "3" different batteries to run their nitro RC....1 Receiver battery, 1 or 2 Starter box batteries, and a battery for the Glow Igniter battery....So, who should be dumping on who?....LOL....Just something to think about.

I run both electric and nitro, but I do get tired of dealing with the nitro stuff after a while....you just can't at the last minute jump up and start running your nitro right away when you want to--there is a lot of prep work to be done first, you have to plan it out....whereas electric is "plug and play"....worst case is, you might have to charge "1" battery to roll out!!.....Something else to think about....

...Now back to Why the 8th Es are not popular.....

Last edited by t3gt; 12-21-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Edumakated

Thats the problem man people who come from running nitro 1/8 scale or electric 1/10 scale get misformed that 1/8 e is expensive to run and maintain, and have to spend a pretty dime on lipos and escs that couldnt be more wrong. Like i was mentioning on this tread before ive been running my 1/8 E-Truggy and at first it cost some but not terrible but in the long run its not to expensive because for the one the 1/8 escs are much more better now !
Old 12-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by t3gt
There is definitely a cost factor in this equation, but that goes for anything 8th scale vehicles and 10th scale 4WDs....

You know what's ironic?....After hearing all of the nitro vs. electric comments, like we here in all threads sooner or later, I find it "ironic" that the nitro guys dump on the electric guys for using batteries to run there RC vehicle....The electric guys, in most cases run 1 battery to run there RC....whereas the nitro guy needs "3" different batteries to run their nitro RC....1 Receiver battery, 1 or 2 Starter box batteries, and a battery for the Glow Igniter battery....So, who should be dumping on who?....LOL....Just something to think about.

I run both electric and nitro, but I do get tired of dealing with the nitro stuff after a while....you just can't at the last minute jump up and start running your nitro right away when you want to--there is a lot of prep work to be done first, you have to plan it out....whereas electric is "plug and play"....worst case is, you might have to charge "1" battery to roll out!!.....Something else to think about....

...Now back to Why the 8th Es are not popular.....

The nitro guys only complain about a 1/8 e buggy or truggy running with them because with a good driver the electric woops them on the jumps and all around ive heard it all before
Old 12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Yeah, clearing the triple with no runup that the nitro has to single to do the same, priceless.

But, as I said before, they are in better shape. And you do get to make a friend as you need a pit guy.

Also, I love learning sign language.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

This would have to also be true of 1/8 nitro among the same people.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Champion

If that mattered as much as the stuff that makes people like nitro, this thread wouldn't exist though..

Just sayin'..
Old 12-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The statement "Why hasn't e-scale taken off" is bit misleading because it insinuates that E-Scale is dead or barely hanging on.

Maybe its not blowing up like Short Course but what has? The fact that its holding its own is a good sign. I think its doing better than 4wd mod.

Maybe we should be more generous with test drives. You would be surprised at how many people dont know that the latest generation of ESCs and motors have made e-scale rediculously easy to drive fast compared to the e-scales from just 2 years ago which drove more like weapons than race vehicles.

I have yet to see somebody drive one for the first time and not like it.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I'd say 1/8th E is doing well considering its cost. 1/8th scale in itself is expensive, naturally you aren't going to get a lot of new drivers picking 1/8th E as their first entry into RC, but the same can be said with 1/8th nitro as well.

I'm not convinced that 1/8th electric is more expensive than nitro either.

Hell, RC racing in general is crazy expensive if you think about it (I try not to ). Not uncommon for people to have 500-800 in their 1/10th rigs.

Mix that with less tracks supporting 1/8th scale, and it being a new class - I'd say 1/8th electric is doing ok.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

ooops, I missed a couple pages of the this thread before responding.

Ok, now I read the other pages and can respond without sounding like too much of an idiot.

I think the main problem with E-1/8 in the Chicagoland area is lack of track support. There are basically 2 indoor tracks in the area that have large enough tracks to run 1/8 scale cars(nitro or electric). When it comes to practice or racing at a track, I don't mind that much if there are nitros as long as it is an outdoor track. At in indoor facility, I absolutely can not tolerate the nitro fumes due to respiratory issues. This is what makes E-1/8th such a redheaded step child. People like me can't be in the building on nitro day and the 1/10th electric folks don't want us there when they are on the track. So.... I don't go to the commercial tracks and instead I run on my own backyard track and at the local "Farm" tracks.

As far as money goes, I don't think it matters one bit. E-1/8th isn't the most expensive thing out there and in most respects it is actually cheaper. I spent more money when I was racing touring cars than I do now on E-1/8th cars.

I enjoy RC in just about every scale and form (air, land and sea) but it is very disappointing that more people don't support a vehicle type that could be the best all around vehicle ever. Bashing or racing, E-1/8th is where its at.

Last edited by kufman; 12-20-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am surprised a city of that size does not have more tracks.
I used to travel to Boston & Atlanta suburbs & they had plenty of tracks. Now I live in an area of low population & there are 4 or 5 trks within 2hrs.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

When it comes to cost, nitro and E scale are about equal for a while, then in the long run, nitro becomes more expensive.....the difference is, when you want to spend your money.....

For E-Scale, you pay everything right up front in the beginning, which can seem way more expensive at first.....and it IS a large amount of money to come up with at one time, but it will last a good long time......

Nitro on the other hand makes you spend as you go.....the more you play, the more you pay.....you constantly need to buy stuff like Fuel, Glow Plugs & Filters all the time, and the nitro engines don't last as long as the brushless motors do, and race engines start at about $225 a piece.....OUCH!!....

The money is gonna go, one way or the other....pick your poison....
Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed237
Maybe we should be more generous with test drives. You would be surprised at how many people dont know that the latest generation of ESCs and motors have made e-scale rediculously easy to drive fast compared to the e-scales from just 2 years ago which drove more like weapons than race vehicles.
I had half a mind to ask what a good e-8 setup is these days, but you know where that answer goes. I haven't followed the developments in the last 2 years, recalling that Mamba Maxes were being combined with Neu motors back when I was watching to see if the class would take off and I would join it (I sometimes wait and see or else I end up getting something that nobody is racing with). What are the ESC/Motors that are legit for E-8? Is it "wise" to run 6S for better running, or stay with 4S for ROAR-like compliance? How do you decide how to design your platform (racing, for me)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.