R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Why Hasn't E-1/8 Taken Off? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/579156-why-hasnt-e-1-8-taken-off.html)

Edumakated 12-19-2011 07:31 AM

Why Hasn't E-1/8 Taken Off?

I was one of the very early adopters of electric 1/8th (back when we ran Neu motors and modded Mamba Maxs and MGM speedos) and had very high hopes for the class. It got me back into RC as a hobby and racing as I am not a nitro fan and don't really care for 1/10 either. Electric 1/8 had the best of both worlds... 1/8 power and durability, but the fume/noise free racing and convenience of electric. So what could possibly go wrong?

However, the reality is that it has been slow to catch on as fast as some have predicted.

Locally, the class has struggled, but I know in some areas the class is thriving. I guess I just wanted to start a discussion as to how we can help the class along and figure out what is holding it back.

In my experience locally, it just seems like e 1/8 is a redheaded step child. We don't really fit in with nitros and neither do we with the 1/10 crowd.

The 1/10 guys don't like sharing the track with 8th scales because the 8ths can drive right through the 1/10s leaving carnage on the track. The nitros don't like us because we are quiet, faster, and can't run as long.

Thoughts?

mulepic 12-19-2011 07:41 AM

Maybe b/c the allure of SC is still very strong which is holding the attention away from e--1/8. Also the cost of SC isn't quite as much as e-1/8 but is more than most 1/10 classes, particularly 4x4 sc. So the $$ isn't there for another car. Just a theory.

jurquhart 12-19-2011 07:50 AM

In my area of VA ebuggy is pretty big. I race ebuggy and there are usually another 8-10 racers. the cost is prohibative for many new racers but I know once I went ebuggy I wouldn't be looking back. I started with 4x4 short course

Hpifanboi 12-19-2011 07:54 AM

Taken a wild guess here.... But it might be the $$$ to start a 1/8. A nitro guy would have to start clean with a chassis, hop ups, Lipos, lipo charger, and etc that involves electric. And to mention learning to tweak boost and timing in a ESC vs nitro engine which would be a learning curve for most.

t3gt 12-19-2011 08:12 AM

I would think that E 1/8 scale consists of buggies, truggies, and SCs....and if SCs are still the popular class, which I think they still are, I don't see why the 8th SC hasn't taken off.....:confused:

I know the 10th SC 2WDs are way cheaper, but the 4WDs cost just about as much as the 8th SCs for a race rig....so I don't see why they haven't taken off either.....I have a nitro Buggy, and a nitro SC8, but would rather run the SC8e instead in a E 1/8 class.....I still plan on getting an SC8e regardless and race against somebody....:rolleyes:

I'm more of an electric guy myself and I'm stuck running nitro because the local track runs mostly nitro....hopefully it will be changing soon with the releases of a few more 8th SCs from HPI and Hoboa.....only time will time....but I'm trying to bring E 1/8 and 8th SC awareness to my local track....;)

This year, I happen to be running nitro buggy in that class, and my SC8 nitro in the truggy class to try to get racers interested in 8th SC....after I get my SC8e, I'll be trying to race that to spark interest there as well....I'll be trying at least:confused:

nitro0619 12-19-2011 08:16 AM

Id say definately the $$$$$.....im lookin to get in myself and lookin at the cost of a new kit im like:weird: compared to running pro4 sct its pricey!!!

gene1219 12-19-2011 08:16 AM

I just think it's a regional thing. I see some tracks (on youtube) have full heats of e buggy.

Our area has virtually no 1/8e buggies. I ran at raceworld once earlier this year, and there was only one other e buggy. I also think that 1/8th scale in general has been dying off, but 1/10 2wd buggy has picked up considerably.

Krio 12-19-2011 08:23 AM

In MI the Factory Tracks Midwest Series had 2+ heats every time. Comes down to location...

t3gt 12-19-2011 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by nitro0619 (Post 10056645)
Id say definately the $$$$$.....im lookin to get in myself and lookin at the cost of a new kit im like:weird: compared to running pro4 sct its pricey!!!

10th 4WD SCT and 8th 4WD SCT run about the same price....8th SCT is just a Better truck.

Not sure where you where looking, but an SC8e RTR is Race Ready and only cost $600....actually right now from Tower you can get it for $535 with the coupon....the truck can be race as is except for maybe tires.

Edumakated 12-19-2011 08:33 AM

It does seem very regional. I know at one point they were very popular in Michigan, but we get hardly any love here in Illinois. Rarely ever have a class. We get a class at Raceworld every now and then, but it usually only 5 or 6 of us. The bigger races (Futaba Challenge, Chitown Shootout, etc) in the area get a good turnout, but the club racing is dead as far as e-1/8 is concerned.

The 8th scales get a bad rap because they bring out a lot of bashers as well. I am an 8th scale guy, but on practice days I can't stand running with them because so many of the guys are just out of control. I've been hearing of tracks no longer allowing 8th scales because so many can't control their cars.

I don't think it is that electric is confusing to the nitro guys as many seem to have no problem running 1/10 classes in the winter. I don't really buy the money argument either as the hard core guys don't seem to have a problem spending cash.

It just seems with the durability, faster charge times, power, and convenience, you'd think the class would be more popular. Nitro fumes suck indoors.

I do think it will catch on at some point, but the conversion to electric seems to be stickier than I expected.

MarkA 12-19-2011 08:35 AM

1) Cost
2) Needs tracks larger than most indoor tracks so the electric, year round racing advantage, is largely negated.
3) Regionalization. In my area, the tangible decline of Nitro has acutally pushed that into more backwoods kinda locations with small (compared to the 1/10th electric tracks') turnouts and a limited number of racers often traveling statewide to get a race in. So, the best tracks to run E-1/8th on are being supported mostly by the group of racers that will give up Nitro only when they can't buy fuel anymore and are in places where you'd have to drive past several very nice 1/10th electric only tracks to get to them.

Bus 12-19-2011 08:39 AM

Nitro is still KING!

But yea i ran into the same problem 1-3 E buggies show up and most of the time they would just stick us with the Nitro for qualifying! And where as E's are just as fast "if not faster" you still can only run around 20 min top's with the top of the line equipment! Where As the Nitro just come in and get refueled for their 30-45 min A mains.

Seems like the E's only get to be fun at the big races when enough racers come into town. But as one guy said you need to spend around $700 just to get started and that's allot of money these days! Especially when running nitro!

And if your like me in the mid west indoor tracks big enough to run 1/8E are far and few between!

Nebraska's Hobby-Plex has the best indoor track period and its a 4 hour drive!

And like another guy said with the SC10 4x4's are just as big as a 1/8e and can run them on a 1/10 scale track!

My 2 cents

nitro0619 12-19-2011 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by t3gt (Post 10056683)
10th 4WD SCT and 8th 4WD SCT run about the same price....8th SCT is just a Better truck.

Not sure where you where looking, but an SC8e RTR is Race Ready and only cost $600....actually right now from Tower you can get it for $535 with the coupon....the truck can be race as is except for maybe tires.

My losi scte kit was 279....mugen and losi 1/8 e roller 500 bucks.......big difference

MarkA 12-19-2011 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bus (Post 10056746)

And like another guy said with the SC10 4x4's are just as big as a 1/8e and can run them on a 1/10 scale track!

1/8th E is still wider (it's why you can't just put a SC body on an Xray or Mugen and dominate the 1/10th 4wd SC class) but more significantly, 1/10th 4wd SC is lighter and slower being on 2s and so on. 1/8th buggies often make turnmarshalls fear for their ankles, 1/10th SC trucks generally do not.

Edumakated 12-19-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by nitro0619 (Post 10056767)
My losi scte kit was 279....mugen and losi 1/8 e roller 500 bucks.......big difference

Yeah, but by the time you finish upgrading the Losi it cost more than an typical 8th scale.

I got way more money in my SCTE than I do my Mugen. The SCTE breaks more, bodies cost more. They may look cheaper, but in reality they are not.