Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree459Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JsK
Yes there fine for several sets of tires. I usually run mine through 3 sets. Don't trim them or do anything else just run them the way they come from the package. Once the tire is gone carfully cut the tire open and pull out the insert, mark it with a sharpie to keep track of how many times its been used then throw the rim in acetone to remove what's left of the tire.
Ive actually been testing used blue foams with some success the last few weeks. I like the way the tire works on the turf this way on my mod car, building what feels like more rear grip this way making a more consistent car for the run.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Got my SC10 halfway decent on ozite at my local track, still have issues with it going up on two side wheels on occasion. Will gluing only the front outer sidewalls help this, or does gluing all 4 have a better effect? Already lowered it, upgraded my springs to red front and silver rear, 40wt all around, and stood up the shocks by 1 hole from the base setup and saw dramatic improvements there. Running jconcepts Swaggers up front and pindowns in the rear. Thanks!

Last edited by FastGT94; 06-18-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:32 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

So we have been running astro here for a few weeks. Going back and forth on tires and so far I am finding I am liking the feel of the jconcepts tires for our conditions better than the schumachers I got in here, the stagger or whatever its called 4wd front (premounts) and the cactus rears, yellow compound. They feel too grippy.

I was wondering if maybe trying a blue compound was worth a shot? Jconcepts pin downs feels just right using a common astro setup on my buggy used in UK with there mini dart tires.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FastGT94
Got my SC10 halfway decent on ozite at my local track, still have issues with it going up on two side wheels on occasion. Will gluing only the front outer sidewalls help this, or does gluing all 4 have a better effect? Already lowered it, upgraded my springs to red front and silver rear, 40wt all around, and stood up the shocks by 1 hole from the base setup and saw dramatic improvements there. Running jconcepts Swaggers up front and pindowns in the rear. Thanks!
I asked this a couple weeks ago and I was told to lower the ballstud height,lenghthen camber links.Still a little confused on the shock angle. From what ive read to stand them up for initial stiffnes and if they were layed down the initial stroke would be soft but get stiffer as it compresses.So what would be best for carpet?in between I gues.For sct if traction rolling try making your ride height equal if not already and increase your wheelbase if you can.The idea is to lessen rear grip to keep from traction rolling.But as someone told many have moved on from rear motor when all the carpet tracks popped up.Im In your boat using a sc10b so have to for now make the best of it.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

@airwoods, lower which ball stud, inner or outer? Front or rear?

I read lower the front inner ball stud (remove the washer from the stock setup), may give that a shot as well.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

@airwoods, lower which ball stud, inner or outer? Front or rear?

I read lower the front inner ball stud (remove the washer from the stock setup), may give that a shot as well.
the ball studs on the front front and rear shock towers.Remove those washers.it will help some to keep it more flat in turns.Less body roll.I lowered mine but have not got the chance to run it.Going to track tomorrow to see how it feels.I also trimmed one outer row of pins off on rear.im running prism rear z3 and z3 wedge up front.Not sure where your running your battery but nearest to the front of the tray would be a good start and keep the toe front and rear 0-1 degree neg.Good luck
Old 06-20-2018, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Negative rear toe? Most trucks I've seen have been negative front and positive rear. Negative front helps with turn in and straight stability, positive rear helps with mid apex speed and braking stability. Just making sure we're on the same page there.

Thanks for the tip on the ball studs, I'll try that as my next mod, followed by electrical tape for a temporary tire mod before taking out the dremel
Old 06-20-2018, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Negative rear toe? Most trucks I've seen have been negative front and positive rear. Negative front helps with turn in and straight stability, positive rear helps with mid apex speed and braking stability. Just making sure we're on the same page there.

Thanks for the tip on the ball studs, I'll try that as my next mod, followed by electrical tape for a temporary tire mod before taking out the dremel
My bad not neg toe but negative camber is what I meant.But for toe im running 0 on the front and the 2.5 block toe on the back with no anti squat plate installed.I actually just trimmed off another row of pins on the tires now so two rows trimmed off.I felt one row wouldn't really make a difference.Pin point and prisms carpet tires have way more grip that a high center sct truck should have and is what causes traction rolls.I have a set of new stock sc10 front tires to try out on the front and rear.I hear they have just the right amount grip with slide.On a tight technical track the carpet tires are great because you can really slow down before the turns to keep from rolling over but the tracks layouts with those big sweepers is where to much traction becomes an issue.I asked the owner about what tires the sct guys were running and he said carpet tires with two rows trimmed off.And these are guys with modern mid motor sct set ups so I figured id roll with it.
FastGT94 likes this.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:20 PM
Tech Addict

Default Tires winter 2019

Can anyone confirm that using narrow front rims is still the ticket? I see Wedges selling in typical front width now. Going on a b6.1.

Are mini pins still the ticket out back? I see cactus and other tires that aren’t minipin \ pinpoint. For office type carpet, very high grip.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:21 PM
Tech Adept

On very high grip, slim cut stagger and cactus rear are the ticket on my b6.1
Old 10-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devin
Can anyone confirm that using narrow front rims is still the ticket? I see Wedges selling in typical front width now. Going on a b6.1.

Are mini pins still the ticket out back? I see cactus and other tires that aren’t minipin \ pinpoint. For office type carpet, very high grip.
Schumacher low profile cut staggers with slim rims on the front and Schumacher Mini Darts, Cactus or Mini pins on the rear
Old 10-01-2018, 11:17 PM
Tech Regular

Curious if anyone has any general tips for those carpet tracks that don't allow pinned tires? At our local track octagons in gold compound seem to be the tire of choice followed by proline primes. It seems the tricky thing with these tracks is that the high traction of pinned tires isn't available, so it requires a very different car setup to what is typically run on carpet...
Old 10-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big ted
Curious if anyone has any general tips for those carpet tracks that don't allow pinned tires? At our local track octagons in gold compound seem to be the tire of choice followed by proline primes. It seems the tricky thing with these tracks is that the high traction of pinned tires isn't available, so it requires a very different car setup to what is typically run on carpet...
in general we run similar tires. We sauce them with SXT compound. I have found that in this case as you do get some tire drift versus a pin tire, setups that are for high traction clay can be used with some adjustments, or, do some adjustments to a carpet setup to get more grip out of it.

conditions can be seen here:

big ted likes this.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Tech Initiate

That's gonna depend on how much traction there is with slicks(or nearly slicks). Usually with a carpet/turf setup where pins are used, I find myself taking out as much traction as I can and trying to keep the car as flat as possible. I've run on CRC carpet with sauced slicks that was like velcro.....pretty much ran the same setup as turf/carpet. It really depends on what you want out of the car and what kind of feel you're after.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 5tone
On very high grip, slim cut stagger and cactus rear are the ticket on my b6.1
Same here. I have a set of slim cut staggers that I put some cut down Schumacher foam in as well. Very predictable push on power and off-power steering is just like the same tires with no foam. No sauce on very high grip carpet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.