Carpet Off-road Thread >

Carpet Off-road Thread

Like Tree35Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Carpet Off-road Thread

After seeing multiple threads about carpet off road, I thought I'd start this thread. The idea here is to ask/comment on anything about carpet off road. This includes, set up, tire choice, pics, ideas etc.
NeoGP likes this.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

What tires do you guys use for stadium truck, we don't use foam where we race and have found the losi slider rear gore work GREAT.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

I'd run shumacher mini pins on anything to start in the rear. The front could be one of a couple shumacher tires. If your the first one to try them at your local track, I'd start with stagger rib fronts, if you need more front grip to to mini pins. They're the only tires we run here on buggies so trucks is probably the same.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rcjunky1 View Post
They're the only tires we run here on buggies so trucks is probably the same.
I was not aware of any track that trucks and buggies, or SCTs, ran the same tire combination.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

carpet is differant, the only reason you might not run the mini pins on carpet is if you can't stop your car/truck from rolling but thats usually a set up issue.

carpet-a whole new animal
Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

So glad to see this thread pop up. Here is our local off road carpet track. www.ptraceway.com

I go through moods on the tire situation. I hate mini pins because they wear so fast.

For 4wd buggy I like really aggressive tires such as the goosebumps and calibers, because they have awesome grip, but I also like to run slicks because I can slide the back end around some and makes the 4wd buggy feel like it has a ton of steering.

The suburbs and bcodes are pretty good the whole tire life, don't have to worry about too much traction at the beginning like you do with gbs and calibers.

2wd buggy I run calibers rear and scrubs front. right now has a bit too much traction, but they last a good while so I run them.

2wd truck losi slider rears are the ticket all the way around. They stick great and I dont need to buy tires every month.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

I like carpet because it is consistent. I dont have to worry about the track conditions changing in between rounds due to the water sprayed down, just have to worry about my driving.
you are correct, it is a whole different animal.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Listen to this guy. Def knows his stuff on carpet

Originally Posted by Ostach24 View Post
So glad to see this thread pop up. Here is our local off road carpet track. www.ptraceway.com

I go through moods on the tire situation. I hate mini pins because they wear so fast.

For 4wd buggy I like really aggressive tires such as the goosebumps and calibers, because they have awesome grip, but I also like to run slicks because I can slide the back end around some and makes the 4wd buggy feel like it has a ton of steering.

The suburbs and bcodes are pretty good the whole tire life, don't have to worry about too much traction at the beginning like you do with gbs and calibers.

2wd buggy I run calibers rear and scrubs front. right now has a bit too much traction, but they last a good while so I run them.

2wd truck losi slider rears are the ticket all the way around. They stick great and I dont need to buy tires every month.
I like carpet because it is consistent. I dont have to worry about the track conditions changing in between rounds due to the water sprayed down, just have to worry about my driving.
you are correct, it is a whole different animal.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I start racing on carpet thiss week. I have a Hyper 10tt and want to know what the best tire is for this type of track? Are foams better then a on road type tire?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

thanks rob, means a lot coming from someone like you. I cant take the credit though, picked up a lot from the old man.
I need to get you out and running on the carpet with me.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rcjunky1 View Post
carpet is differant, the only reason you might not run the mini pins on carpet is if you can't stop your car/truck from rolling but thats usually a set up issue.

carpet-a whole new animal
Just because carpet is "a whole new animal" should not mean that buggies and trucks will want to use the same tire combos. Looking around it appears you got the Schumacher idea from one of the British forums, where their tracks also have a lot of what they call "slippery areas," but just because it is a readily available and popular brand tire there doesn't mean it's going to be The Tire everywhere over here. If there was, this whole discussion would be very short and wouldn't even be needed.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

I like it because it is clean, but I have found it far from consistent as the traction comes up during the day from people using traction compound. But that just makes it similar to racing on dirt and you have to chase the conditions during the course of the day.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NoRookie View Post
Just because carpet is "a whole new animal" should not mean that buggies and trucks will want to use the same tire combos. Looking around it appears you got the Schumacher idea from one of the British forums, where their tracks also have a lot of what they call "slippery areas," but just because it is a readily available and popular brand tire there doesn't mean it's going to be The Tire everywhere over here. If there was, this whole discussion would be very short and wouldn't even be needed.
not to mention some carpet tracks wont let you run an aggressive pin type tire due to "fuzzing" if the track is shared with pan cars etc..
Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

17.5 blinky sc10. Stock tires work awesome on carpet. I see no reason to change them. Don't know how they will do with a more aggressive motor, but with 17.5 they are just fine.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

thanks rob, means a lot coming from someone like you. I cant take the credit though, picked up a lot from the old man.
I need to get you out and running on the carpet with me.
Yea i wouldnt mind it at all. Just sucks getting off near 6pm then gettin it all togther etc. Ill make it out soon tho. It was fun.
NeoGP likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service