Search
Like Tree459Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
You don't glue the sidewall to the wheel at all, just the bead and the tire "floats" above it. Look closely at the pic of the premounts and you'll see what I mean.
I don't bother gluing the whole length of the bead, just four spots around each side.

Also, be sure you cut the width of your rim down by trimming the innermost channel off. So the bead is mounted against the second rib. You don't have to cut the wheel off as long as you mount the tire correctly, but I think it's much cleaner to go ahead and trim the wheel.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

alright guys I am looking at some "cheap" options for tires here, I see a variety of older treaded tire types I can get new for about $7 or less shipped. things like ions, etc in clay compound. I figure as they wear, they basically become a slick anyway. Does that make sense? Are there some tread types if you go that route make more sense that others?

Also, in general are the schumacher staggers pretty much the way to go for buggy fronts on carpet? I know guy running them and they appear to work quite well.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Tech Prophet

The D-boots square blocks with AKA red inserts work good up Front . D-Boots Terabytes same inserts are good work better with wear and sauce though .

Clay tires actually the Typos with wear and sauce work good even Chainlinks .
Old 02-11-2016, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
alright guys I am looking at some "cheap" options for tires here, I see a variety of older treaded tire types I can get new for about $7 or less shipped. things like ions, etc in clay compound. I figure as they wear, they basically become a slick anyway. Does that make sense? Are there some tread types if you go that route make more sense that others?

Also, in general are the schumacher staggers pretty much the way to go for buggy fronts on carpet? I know guy running them and they appear to work quite well.
If we're talking tight loop office carpet, then yes the cut stagger is the way to go. I found the Schumacher setup is best with the matching rear mini-pin or mini-pin2. The staggers have so much grip on the office carpet that it will over power the whole setup with some other random tire out back. That can be almost un-driveable.

I buy the narrow front Schu rims so I don't have to cut down a Proline rim.

The Schu setup is Super high grip. So much that very stiff springs and lowered ride heights are the norm. I went full retard on my B5ML spring rates and it's working well.
They never need to be cleaned or sauced if you only run them on carpet.

On grey Ozite, I actually like a brand new set of M4 Electrons all around and I can run my indoor clay setup, no sauce.

I race off-road on looped office carpet and 1/12th scale/WGT on Ozite. My testing with the B5M on Ozite was esc/motor tuning, but I was shocked at how well it actually worked. Went up 2 teeth on the pinion and left the on-road stuff on my pit table.

For the truley cheap SCT driver, I noticed that one of the cheapo pre-mount companies had Goosebumps pre-mounted for under $20 under a different name. I may have been Speedtreads Konekt, I can't remember. Should be amazing on office carpet.

Last edited by Eddie_E; 02-11-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eddie_E
The Schu setup is Super high grip. So much that very stiff springs and lowered ride heights are the norm. I went full retard on my B5ML spring rates and it's working well.
They never need to be cleaned or sauced if you only run them on carpet.
This pretty well sums up my 4WD setup. I run the staggers up front and MP2s in the rear.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Tech Legend

... On grey Ozite, I actually like a brand new set of M4 Electrons all around and I can run my indoor clay setup, no sauce.
This part interests me a lot as I noticed with my SCT I am running ions in m3 and I didn't find a need to sauce them.

I wonder if some electrons or even primes in m4 could do the trick for my buggy versus a clay compound sauced ...
Old 02-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Tech Prophet

I forgot to mention the carpet i race on which is ozlite setup wise on my 2wd Buggy all i did was make the ride height at 20/21. Shock oil 32.5/32.5 Gray Fronts/White Rear although its actually a bit soft up Front still. Gear diff 5000k could go with 4000k though since its not high grip.

So not much change setup wise from running on clay other than ride height and a Ball diff/tires but the gear diff works on it.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
This part interests me a lot as I noticed with my SCT I am running ions in m3 and I didn't find a need to sauce them.

I wonder if some electrons or even primes in m4 could do the trick for my buggy versus a clay compound sauced ...
Yes, Primes will DEFINITELY work, but I don't think you need to use M4's, I think MC's would be ideal. I did a tire test at a new Ozite track that's getting ready to open, & tried my 2WD buggy with my Primes, & I LOVED it, my buggy felt even better than my sedans did, but I did notice the M4 rears I tried took a real beating, I think they'd get chewed up pretty fast. But the MC tires had plenty of grip, & showed no significant wear, & with them I felt no need for traction compound at all. I think just a light cleaning will be plenty to keep them in good shape & MC's should last a good while. It's definitely what I intend to start with when the track's ready for their first race day....
Old 02-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tc5 man
I forgot to mention the carpet i race on which is ozlite setup wise on my 2wd Buggy all i did was make the ride height at 20/21. Shock oil 32.5/32.5 Gray Fronts/White Rear although its actually a bit soft up Front still. Gear diff 5000k could go with 4000k though since its not high grip.

So not much change setup wise from running on clay other than ride height and a Ball diff/tires but the gear diff works on it.
Same for me, when I did my tire test, I made no changes to setup from what I run on clay tracks, & it felt PERFECT, plenty of turn-in, grip & I could drive as aggressively as I wanted without upsetting the buggy. I'm VERY much looking forward to some actual racing on it...
Old 02-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Yes, Primes will DEFINITELY work, but I don't think you need to use M4's, I think MC's would be ideal.
To confirm, you do want MC over M4 when using the Primes on carpet - the M4's get squirmy when they get warm. Also, the 2.2" tires are preferred over the 2.4" versions - as previously mentioned, the 2.2" ones won't tear the sidewalls like all the 2.4" slicks are prone to do. That being said, the 2.4" Primes are now discontinued but you still don't want to pick that version up on clearance somewhere.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Yes, Primes will DEFINITELY work, but I don't think you need to use M4's, I think MC's would be ideal.
The grey Ozite and the new Black Ozite have completely different grip levels and wear. The new black version has milled rubber added to it when it's made. The grip comes up very fast compared to the old grey that took a month of heavily sauced 1/12th/ WGT racing to bring the grip up.

I'm surprised a track owner with the brand new black Ozite allowed an off-road vehicle on it at all.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

The grey Ozite and the new Black Ozite have completely different grip levels and wear. The new black version has milled rubber added to it when it's made. The grip comes up very fast compared to the old grey that took a month of heavily sauced 1/12th/ WGT racing to bring the grip up.

I'm surprised a track owner with the brand new black Ozite allowed an off-road vehicle on it at all.
It isn't the new stuff yet, he bought some old grey Ozite that we were going to use at a different track in the area some years ago(before that track owner decided to rip it out & go all dirt, so the carpet had been sitting in a storage room for about 5 1/2 years, but if things go well, he may want to replace it with the new stuff later).
Old 02-14-2016, 10:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Just curious, for those running slicks in the rear for 2wd, what fronts to do you use?
Slicks as well?

How about Schumacher Cut Stagger Low Profile? Will these work?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by leongkc
Just curious, for those running slicks in the rear for 2wd, what fronts to do you use?
Slicks as well?

How about Schumacher Cut Stagger Low Profile? Will these work?
If you're running slicks on the rear, it's probably because you are mandated to by a tracks' rules, thus, you are also running slicks on the front.

Those Schumacher fronts are the front tire of choice about 95% of the time when slicks are not mandated but I can't see them not causing a imbalance/hook when used with slick rears.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:13 PM
Tech Legend

running slicks front and rear, panthers right now. got some other clay compound tires coming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.