Like Tree467Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 07:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Freestyle Raceway. Marshfield , Wisconsin
kufman, DadRacer and River19 like this.

Last edited by Billy Kelly; 04-27-2024 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Talk to me about these wall rides I keep seeing, any trick to driving them other than needing a reasonable amount of speed......?
Old 04-27-2024, 09:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by River19
Talk to me about these wall rides I keep seeing, any trick to driving them other than needing a reasonable amount of speed......?

This one is unlike any other I’ve run. Higher and wider. My 2w buggy has no problem with it. My 4w is getting better, 3rd time here. But lift to much going across the top and good chance you’ll roll down
Old 04-27-2024, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

This one is unlike any other I’ve run. Higher and wider. My 2w buggy has no problem with it. My 4w is getting better, 3rd time here. But lift to much going across the top and good chance you’ll roll down
Awesome. Certainly something you need to have confidence in what your plan is before you get there........
staiguy likes this.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by River19
Edited (because I wasn't thinking again ): Generally with wall rides with tight corners at the top, the main thing to remember is do NOT touch the throttle - not even slightly - until you are on the way down. If you accelerate on the way up or across the top you will lose all steering. If you find yourself wanting to use the throttle early, you haven't carried enough speed onto it.
RogerM and River19 like this.

Last edited by Will27; 04-28-2024 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:04 PM
Tech Prophet

This wall at Island is basically full throttle. It’s sounds like Freestyle, now called Zero RC Raceway, plans to have something similar next fall.
staiguy likes this.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:45 AM
Tech Prophet

4th trip to Rug Burnerz. This layout gonna be a struggle for my cars.

River19 likes this.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:02 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

anyone try the aka rivet tires on 2wd and 4wd buggy? If so, what has been your impression of them versus say a jconcepts fuzzbite or proline Harpoon? Also, in comparison to other brands compounds, how do the soft and mediums feel? lastly, do the two compounds both come with grey foam or does the soft come with white foam?
Old 05-06-2024, 06:00 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Cain
anyone try the aka rivet tires on 2wd and 4wd buggy? If so, what has been your impression of them versus say a jconcepts fuzzbite or proline Harpoon? Also, in comparison to other brands compounds, how do the soft and mediums feel? lastly, do the two compounds both come with grey foam or does the soft come with white foam?
Think I’ve only seen the white foam on the AKA. My wheeler likes them. Only run one set on 2w. Harpoon seemed hard to find lately. Liked them.
Cain likes this.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:35 AM
Tech Prophet

Stayed local at HobbyTown, Batavia

Pins vs foams on 4w. No changes. Back to back
Buckland and staiguy like this.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

@billy - damn I wish my tracks carpet looked that nice. They definitely need to plan a re-carpet. I heard from the owner, have you seen the prices of new carpet?! Even heard from ppl here that the price is way high.

@river - like what billy said confidence really is key (like most racing but REALLY important for wall rides). On a long wall ride, with a 2wd buggy, throttle = staying straight and dropping the throttle = the back end dropping out. Bad throttle inputs with not enough power will usually cause you bobble up and down in a zig zag line. Each wall ride/track is setup different for different lines. Last long wall ride track people made 2-ish lines. One fast and low line that you are barely affected by the wall ride, BUT its a harder transition for the 90 degree turn with a big chance of side roll. If you went higher and arc your line (throttle up about half way, let the throttle out a little to bring the buggy down to exit) it was a smoother transition to 45 degree exit. Too high and you got airborne. Think of that talladega nights scene where ricky bobby gets airborne - generally not good and a confidence killer. Lots of the 17.5 guys asked around, do you full throttle through the wall ride? 21.5 is "slow" enough you can full throttle through it all with little problems. Once I went too high and my 17.5 buggy fell like 10 feet on its side. Luckily nothing broke but a real shake up before the main race.

A short wall narrow wall ride I find a little easier. There is a lot of braking action naturally due to tires and going up hill. You may not need to brake or brake very little. Find a "braking point" where you lift off the throttle and you can coast past the corner apex and throttle out the way down. Too early and you are likely to roll near the top. Any steering input is usually at the top of the corner apex or on the ground after the wall ride. I tend to let the car settle before big steering inputs/corrections. The plus of this technique is I DO NOT YIELD during these more technical parts. I dont care if you are faster or gunning me down IN THAT SECTION, after my car settles I will let them pass in a safer, for me, area no problems. I generally take the corner wider so they can pass by faster and easier. Usually the more impatient drivers will either crash behind me or get kinda mad on ONLY the stand. "Move stai!, im trying to get by!" Sometimes I get an unlucky spot in the buggy train and I just cant let people pass until 5 seconds later due to rhythm sections, tight areas or a straightaway. I generally see it as they are the better drivers and can more easily move around me rather than me drive around them and crash out causing more problems.
River19 likes this.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:21 AM
vr6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I have been running aka tires exclusively after multiple days of testing all the carpet tires that are currently available. i run both 2wd and 4wd stock classes
the reason i did was because i was switching from foam tires to rubber and wanted to find out what worked best for

all testing done on CRC black carpet, no sauce
JC tires are really great but tire wear is super high and all the fast guys seem to replace them after about 3-5 packs, so not ideal if on a budget and want to be competitive an only available in one compound too. Chinese made
Rawspeed tires are decent with grip and tire wear but because of mismatched compounds, tire patterns, just was not ideal for me
USA made

Proline, no complaints, tire wear great and options with compounds and tire patterns
USA made

Aka rivets i ran both compounds and found that i liked medium with gray foam in 2wd and like the soft compound with white foams in 4wd, and still run this setup when possible
there is or was, not sur if fixed yet, when released, all medium tires came with gray foam and the soft came with white foams, and yes, they are different

now it seems they went to one foam, WHITE, for all tires and have had talks with HH and the AKA rep in California and zero results have come out of my conversations with them, aka rep being the worst

all in all, i like the aka tires a lot, tire wear is great, quality of the rubber is great too and USA made
Cain, Billy Kelly and River19 like this.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vr6
I have been running aka tires exclusively after multiple days of testing all the carpet tires that are currently available. i run both 2wd and 4wd stock classes
the reason i did was because i was switching from foam tires to rubber and wanted to find out what worked best for

all testing done on CRC black carpet, no sauce
JC tires are really great but tire wear is super high and all the fast guys seem to replace them after about 3-5 packs, so not ideal if on a budget and want to be competitive an only available in one compound too. Chinese made
Rawspeed tires are decent with grip and tire wear but because of mismatched compounds, tire patterns, just was not ideal for me
USA made

Proline, no complaints, tire wear great and options with compounds and tire patterns
USA made

Aka rivets i ran both compounds and found that i liked medium with gray foam in 2wd and like the soft compound with white foams in 4wd, and still run this setup when possible
there is or was, not sur if fixed yet, when released, all medium tires came with gray foam and the soft came with white foams, and yes, they are different

now it seems they went to one foam, WHITE, for all tires and have had talks with HH and the AKA rep in California and zero results have come out of my conversations with them, aka rep being the worst

all in all, i like the aka tires a lot, tire wear is great, quality of the rubber is great too and USA made
While not carpet related, I have a pair of AKA Voids sitting on the shelf waiting for a time to be broken in and tried for our indoor clay, might have to give them a shot next. Of course I have a good supply of banded out JC ellipses in soft compound which once slicked out are perfect for our clay as well as the Smoothie 2's and RawSpeed Slicks etc.

For carpet I am still running Nessi's in the rear and Pin Swag fronts on my 2wd......

staiguy Thanks for the explanation on approach on the wall rides as well as Billy Kelly thanks. In the Northeast I have yet to encounter a wall ride like that for indoor carpet. I am sure they are coming.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:48 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

thanks for the info everyone on the aka's. The prolines I know someone who tried locally and they do work great, but definitely $$$. I may pick up a set to try out and see how wear is in general.

Speaking of proline tires, what exactly waht is the difference when running a Z compound versus the CR ones? what did they change?