Search
Like Tree458Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon11m
Went to Underground RC in Syracuse NY this past saturday for my first race on carpet in a couple of years. Track surface was interesting, surprisingly less grip than the soft clay track that I'm used to. the track is inside a mall and apparently CRC carpet doesn't meet the fire safety requirements needed so they used a different low pile black carpet that's not crazy high grip like I was expecting. Both my mod buggies weren't all that great, mostly due to being on the wrong tires. I was using used tires for the day since I was just using it as a practice day before the trophy race they're hosting this saturday and am saving my new set of tires for that.

My stadium truck on slicks actually worked really well though, I was running silver compound smoothie 2s and they had good grip and also just felt nice to drive. I'm used to carpet setups generally being tight with a very locked in rear end but with these slicks the truck could actually slide around corners a bit which is how I like to drive. Fastest lap was within a few hundredths of the fastest time on that layout and I managed to TQ and win the class. I'll have to wait and see how it handles on actual carpet tires this weekend but if I were to race here regularly then I think I would just run slicks so I'm not wearing out tires every 2 weeks. Even if they're a tenth or two off pace I'd rather run slicks for club racing just to save on tire costs.
Awesome !!!

Carpet is another world these days. I'm starting my re-learning curve on CRC black carpet that appears to be sticky as hell as my car with JC Concepts pins and carpet fronts has as much grip as I need. Initially I had too much toe in dialed up front and it was darty and grippy as hell, dialed in some adequate toe out and it is much smoother and predictable.....but each carpet apparently varies just like dirt.....what works in one place may not work in another. It's always a tire game.....$600-700 in the car then $250 in tires lol......

I was contemplating running my TLR on both carpet and the other local-ish) packed clay indoor but the thought of dialing in a. carpet setup then swapping things back and forth has me thinking perhaps I will go 4wd for clay with the 22X-4.......these are the twisted thoughts I have.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by River19
It's always a tire game.....$600-700 in the car then $250 in tires lol......
That's part of why I was so interested in how the slicks did on my stadium truck, if they're really close in pace to a pin tire then I'd much rather run a slick, they should last many times longer than any pin would

I was contemplating running my TLR on both carpet and the other local-ish) packed clay indoor but the thought of dialing in a. carpet setup then swapping things back and forth has me thinking perhaps I will go 4wd for clay with the 22X-4.......these are the twisted thoughts I have.
The interesting thing with this carpet was that I kept mostly the same setup as I was using on clay, I only swapped diff setup and lowered ride height slightly for the carpet and the rest stayed basically identical so going from one to the other wouldn't be too bad. There may be a tiny bit more speed to get out of a dedicated carpet setup but I don't think it would be too much
River19 likes this.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Awesome !!!

Carpet is another world these days. I'm starting my re-learning curve on CRC black carpet that appears to be sticky as hell as my car with JC Concepts pins and carpet fronts has as much grip as I need. Initially I had too much toe in dialed up front and it was darty and grippy as hell, dialed in some adequate toe out and it is much smoother and predictable.....but each carpet apparently varies just like dirt.....what works in one place may not work in another. It's always a tire game.....$600-700 in the car then $250 in tires lol......

I think I’ve been on 16-17 different CRC black carpet tracks. All have different levels of grip. Some absolutely require the use of tire sauce. Some can run without.

Overalll the Fuzz bite tires work on every black carpet track.

banx and River19 like this.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default Fair points.

Good to know the setups weren't totally different.

I also have enough I'm trying to do by diving into he 2wd buggy world and the TT-02 world at the same time as those 2 platforms open up the most racing options locally with the others being dirt oval and 4wd buggy.

Might as well focus on getting my collective crap together on those before talking myself into another car lol
Old 03-25-2024, 04:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Good to know the setups weren't totally different.

I also have enough I'm trying to do by diving into he 2wd buggy world and the TT-02 world at the same time as those 2 platforms open up the most racing options locally with the others being dirt oval and 4wd buggy.

Might as well focus on getting my collective crap together on those before talking myself into another car lol
I’m sure most other would change all kinds of thing track to track. I’m just not good at tuning. I don’t charge much for grey carpet, or even the occasional turf track. I’m used to running vehicles the few that have tried struggled to run a single lap. But I can run consistent, not try to chase a fast lap. Stay on 4 wheels and out place plenty with faster/and properly set up buggy.

I did on road also for the previous 3 years. It will definitely improve your off road driving skills. But also can drive you crazy. Consistency is still important, but only gets one so far. I did 44 on road races last year, with 64 carpet off road races. This year I’ve done 1 on road. Being 4-5 laps down took the fun factor away
River19 likes this.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I’m sure most other would change all kinds of thing track to track. I’m just not good at tuning. I don’t charge much for grey carpet, or even the occasional turf track. I’m used to running vehicles the few that have tried struggled to run a single lap. But I can run consistent, not try to chase a fast lap. Stay on 4 wheels and out place plenty with faster/and properly set up buggy.

I did on road also for the previous 3 years. It will definitely improve your off road driving skills. But also can drive you crazy. Consistency is still important, but only gets one so far. I did 44 on road races last year, with 64 carpet off road races. This year I’ve done 1 on road. Being 4-5 laps down took the fun factor away
Yeah I am going to go with the consistency approach for the buggy......smooth is fast, pick good lines and when I'm in the groove open it up a little more, but honestly from my practice session yesterday, the difference between really goosing the throttle in the short to medium straights and possibly overcooking a turn and getting off line vs. running a smooth line with good pace but not pushing it is negligible right now for me. I would rather concentrate on smooth lines and let the speed come........in theory I can slow the parts consumption as well.........emphasis on "theory".

That's a good amount of events......good for you, make the most of it!!!!!
Old 03-26-2024, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I cut off almost a full second when I spent 1/2 the day driving my 21.5 buggy around the track. The 17.5 seemed like a rocket ship in comparison, but with good throttle control and easing into the speed is what made cutting that second possible. Through most of the turns and rhythms, the 21.5 and 17.5 are almost identical. A good smooth turn onto the straightaway with the 21.5 was just as fast as a the 17.5 twitching around the turn. A smooth turn onto the straight with the 17.5 was FAST. Practicing, noting, and really controlling my inputs (throttle AND steering) made me faster. I also took time to practice taking different lines. I found my fastest line and noticed other people starting to take the same line . I'd like to think the other guys are giving me little tips here and there to coax more competition out of me. With a baby, time is a luxury :/ but I still manage to find some time. With less time on the track, my cars are in REALLY good tip-top shape :P
River19 likes this.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:15 PM
Tech Prophet

Yeah I am going to go with the consistency approach for the buggy......smooth is fast, pick good lines and when I'm in the groove open it up a little more, but honestly from my practice session yesterday, the difference between really goosing the throttle in the short to medium straights and possibly overcooking a turn and getting off line vs. running a smooth line with good pace but not pushing it is negligible right now for me. I would rather concentrate on smooth lines and let the speed come........in theory I can slow the parts consumption as well.........emphasis on "theory".

That's a good amount of events......good for you, make the most of it!!!!!
If we hadn’t had to cancel close to 40 local races do to lack of turnout, should be been a lot higher.

I tend to have to react to my buggy. Sometimes the same turn is never the same. But after running in multiple states, I’ve found CRC carpet can be very different track to track. This also affects how I run. Track A I might have very limited brakes, track C I can also spin out from brake grabbing.

I hate DNF. And I’m not crashing, or breaking parts just to get that fast lap. And far too many I’ve seen can’t seem to go more then one heat without wanting to completely change everything. Never seen to give a change a chance

I race faster than I can practice. Practice is just learning the layout. Since I try to not run the same layout twice.
River19 likes this.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Current track layout

Old 04-01-2024, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by staiguy
Current track layout

ayyy a local to norcal, may have some questions for you when i get my car together, been out of rc for a long time, just diving head first back in
staiguy likes this.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Planning to drop by PDX RC Underground this weekend as part of a roadtrip for spring break. Father and son will be driving B6.4s for fun. Thinking about a few packs. Didn’t get a chance to get my B7 painted.

Anything I should know? Any setup tips? Preferred tires? I have Pin Swags, Fuzz Bites and rear Sirens on hand.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Anyone know of somewhere in the US to buy these?

https://www.1066rc.com/product-page/2wd-slim-tyre-jig
Old 04-04-2024, 10:19 AM
Tech Prophet

Took back to back weekend off, unplanned. A number of tracks I’ve gone to run dual programs. Some change layout completely between on and off road. Some run the same with just minor adjustments. This one worked for both. And both my TC and buggy had similar problems in the same spots

Old 04-04-2024, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shortcut3d
Planning to drop by PDX RC Underground this weekend as part of a roadtrip for spring break. Father and son will be driving B6.4s for fun. Thinking about a few packs. Didn’t get a chance to get my B7 painted.

Anything I should know? Any setup tips? Preferred tires? I have Pin Swags, Fuzz Bites and rear Sirens on hand.
I'd jump on their FB group and ask some questions. It's one of my local tracks, but I haven't been out in a while. There's likely a hot new tire that I'm not aware of. Pin Swags and Fuzz Bites with get you around the track, the fresher the better. I've not tried Sirens. I think people are still liking the Nessi. Make sure your car is clean and you're running a chassis protector (I'm sure you're set if you've run carpet before. The track owner is great, I'm sure he'll help get you sorted out when you get their.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Fair assumption that most folks are running sway bars of some level when running on carpet?

I just added a set and chose the thickness based on an existing setup sheet for the same chassis but was curious what others are running.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.