Radio recommendations.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radio recommendations.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Tech Addict

Ive never actually actually driven with a M8 and I know its the most popular choice, but I have to say that thing is very hard to navigate. After using my 3pk, trying to change any setting on a m8 is a real pain. The M8 is also kind of outdated when it comes to features, it isnt high speed or PCM and it has less of the more advanced features. Most those features really arent necessary for anything but 1/5 scale, but a few can come in handy. For example on the 3pk you can set a second dual-rate to the button on the grip so that if you get stuck you can hold the button to over-ride the dual rate setting and get full steering travel. The M8 also doesnt have any buttons or dials that allow you to adjust settings while driving, and as far as I know its buttons arent programmable. Im not saying its bad, it must be the most comfortable and the best radio for actual driving since most of the best drivers use it, but it is outdated compared to other companies top of the line radios.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Tech Regular

The M8 is arguably one of the easiest radios to program that is on the market today. The 3PK is a close second, IMO.

Last edited by speedydave; 11-13-2004 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

I just found the way that you have to scroll through everything to find a setting very annoying (mabey there is a better way?), and stuff like how you have to turn the wheel to say if you want to adjust left or right EPA. Everything is also abbreviated, so there are some setting which I dont normally use that I wouldnt recognize, and you just see a number when you change stuff, on the 3pk in many settings it gives you a graph to show you what is going on and the number appears righ next to the specific setting rather than at the bottom of the screen. I like the way each setting gets a full screen as well, just makes it easier to look at. Its all prefrence, just stating my opinion. There must be some reason 9 out of 10 pro drivers continue to use the M8.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:52 PM
Tech Elite

It's incredibly easy to set up an M8..I'd much rather move a cursor back and forth a few spaces than skim through menus, submenus, sub-submenus, etc.

The M8 has an adjustable frame rate, yet every team driver I've seen with the radio has the response switched turned down; I don't think there's any reason to have a faster reacting radio. And I don't know of one person who can beat me on a regular basis that tunes their radio while driving, so having tuning buttons on your grip is a moot point. The signal strength of the M8 is second to none.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
No, merely an opinion.

But when 9 of the top ten drivers in the U.S. run it..it's close. It is the oldest of the current crop of high-end radios and still voted the favorite by the magazines and people who buy their stuff.

Good answer.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

surikarn uses a 3pk...........and so do i
Old 11-14-2004, 07:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Surikarn gets paid to use that radio..Did you get a Pro4 yet..
Old 11-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like futaba radio's too, but for some reason I like the comfort of the m8. My buddy also has a really old radio that is good because it isn't goverment regulated. The range on it could go so far until you couldn't see the car anymore.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Every top-end radio, like M8, 3PK, Helios, and R1 will perform almost equal. The deciding factor should always be feel and comfort. You don't want a radio that doesn't fit your hand or is too heavy to your liking. Just try the different radios form someone at your track, and find wich one you think you will be most comfortable with!
Old 11-15-2004, 07:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey gang!

Thanks for all of the insight! Looks like it's time to start grabbing radios and weeding out how many of the bells and whistles I need and don't need. Still looking for opinions and suggestions so post away!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I bought an Airtronics MX-3S. The ability to change frequencies without a crystal comes in handy. It can handle multiple models also. I think I paid around $175.00.

I compared it to other synthesized radios but others were significantly more expensive.

The m8 is overpriced in my opinion. $410 approx for an m8 with the Novak synthesized frequency module. Maybe when youre a sponsored driver or independently wealthy the cost isnt so bad though .

I had a thread on here basically asking why the m8 was used so much by the pros. No one really pointed out a reason why its head and shoulders better than any other radio. Most of the responses were that it felt good in the hand or it has super signal output. In other words, subjective opinions.

Go with what feels the best to your hand and your budget. The most expensive isn't always the best for you!
Old 11-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Tech Lord

I think radios like RC cars is all subjective,But I own an M8 and a MX-3,To me the wheel feels better on the M8(movement)and the M8 does have a few more features that I do use in my nitro car.I did not get the synthesized M8,Another reason why I just bought an M8 is I will be able to get the DSM system from Spektrum in January..No more crystals for me either..or glitches or antennae sticking out of my car or changing channels,The cost is not bad either, $150 for the system and mid $70's for a reciever..Thats why I would not get any synthesized M8,Their is better technology just around the corner..
Old 11-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
It's incredibly easy to set up an M8..I'd much rather move a cursor back and forth a few spaces than skim through menus, submenus, sub-submenus, etc.

The M8 has an adjustable frame rate, yet every team driver I've seen with the radio has the response switched turned down; I don't think there's any reason to have a faster reacting radio. And I don't know of one person who can beat me on a regular basis that tunes their radio while driving, so having tuning buttons on your grip is a moot point. The signal strength of the M8 is second to none.
Ok, whatever floats your boat. I personally think the menu system is much easier to use, but different people like different stuff. I dont mean changing settings while actually driving, but it can be done during practice and if during your practice laps before a race your car feels too twitchy or something like that you can quickly turn down the EXP or change another setting before the start.

I just think its a little weird that in an industry where people buy the latest and greastest whenever it comes out, that people stick to the old faithful when it comes to radios. It's proably because most people have been driving with an m8 for years, and nothing else will feel right to them now.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Tech Lord

I have had people comment on my "weird" Helios KO.. But the Futaba "radar " looking 3PK was not to comfortable and I did not like where the screen is,But It does have a bigger screen than most other high end radios and I guess you would get used to where its at.But The KO and the Futaba allmost have to much info..
Old 11-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

AE Racer, i thought you switched to a m8 when you got your bk2, i also noticed that jason did the same thing, is there just something that the m8 has for losi's and the 3pk has for associated's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.