Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI RS4 Rally

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Default Can some one identify this one?

Gday IH8VTEC and anyone else following along. This thread has inspired me to build a rs4 rally for my nephew so we can race each other. They are getting scarce or at least when I decide I need one. This one is one I found last night. It looks like a rs4 road chassis but looking closer at it. I do wonder now if I have got lucky and got myself a proper rally to start with. It has rally tires and the wheels like mine. Maybe the bumper foam was added. No body work of course. Not sure how far I will go on this. I was putting mine together this week and I couldn't find my little man driver top piece either!. Seems everyone looses these bits. I hope I do because I think its a possibility. I could make some molds and make some thin carbon fiber bottom plates and top pieces. Here is the ebay page for you guys to examine.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=370662853909
Old 10-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FatBattery
Gday IH8VTEC and anyone else following along. This thread has inspired me to build a rs4 rally for my nephew so we can race each other. They are getting scarce or at least when I decide I need one. This one is one I found last night. It looks like a rs4 road chassis but looking closer at it. I do wonder now if I have got lucky and got myself a proper rally to start with. It has rally tires and the wheels like mine. Maybe the bumper foam was added. No body work of course. Not sure how far I will go on this. I was putting mine together this week and I couldn't find my little man driver top piece either!. Seems everyone looses these bits. I hope I do because I think its a possibility. I could make some molds and make some thin carbon fiber bottom plates and top pieces. Here is the ebay page for you guys to examine.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=370662853909
Hey FatBattery, You have a lucky nephew!

I would say that is a RS4 sport chassis. judging from the way the camber links mount in the rear. If it is a 200mm wide set up I think it will be rather easy to convert to a rally. Might be as simple as shaving the front steering knuckle a little and mounting some longer shocks. If you can post up some more pics when you get it.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IH8VTEC
Hey FatBattery, You have a lucky nephew!

I would say that is a RS4 sport chassis. judging from the way the camber links mount in the rear. If it is a 200mm wide set up I think it will be rather easy to convert to a rally. Might be as simple as shaving the front steering knuckle a little and mounting some longer shocks. If you can post up some more pics when you get it.
Tar I will do. A few questions while I am here. Is it true I need standard nitro front arms? and I guess there is no chance of the nice alloy nitro steering kit fitting? I can get a one way for 50 which is going to hurt because I need 1 too. And I have to find a slipper clutch. They are the big things. I am sure there will be lots more. You know how expensive rebuild s get. Custom screws. Would love a new pair of chassis. Mine is broken at the servo saver. If I can get some cf sheet at the right price . I will make a pair. I hope it stands up to punishment better then the sand viper I built him. No end of hop up parts could withstand him.. I think it will. There tough little cars. Perhaps I might have to keep it for supervised use only until he grows up a bit. He is only 12.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WOW, THats alot to cover! OK, lets see if i can help you out:

A few questions while I am here. Is it true I need standard nitro front arms? and I guess there is no chance of the nice alloy nitro steering kit fitting?
I wouldn't run any metal arms, they would likely bend and not ever be straightened. Stick to plastic.

I can get a one way for 50 which is going to hurt because I need 1 too. And I have to find a slipper clutch. They are the big things.
I wouldn't worry about a one-way. A Slipper is nice, but could be difficult. I would try and find a 1 piece Robinson Top Shaft.

Custom screws.
I picked up some Stainless ones at a local hardware store. Not cheap, but nice.

Would love a new pair of chassis. Mine is broken at the servo saver. If I can get some cf sheet at the right price . I will make a pair.
For the Carbon Chassis try this:
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/cars/hpi/fl_rs4ral.html

Perhaps I might have to keep it for supervised use only until he grows up a bit. He is only 12.
Its not a bad age, just know that parts could be difficult.

MOmo
Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

I do hope I can find slippers. Surely I can find something to fit. I have one in mine. I wouldn't want to be with out one. I use all stainless hexes in my custom amps I build. After using good screws and good hex drivers. I could never go back. Stainless screws can be had off ebay UK very cheaply. Also the standard 3mm can be had in a heliciol kit too. Very handy I suspect for tamiyas. Not that I have tried it. But I stripped one in my tamiya build So I plan to buy one. Its often A good idea in motorbikes for eg to run heliciols from the start. Thanks I will get back in here when progress starts on the rs4. I have a aftermarket pikes peak body. If i decide not to convert it to much . This would be ideal. An awesome car.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Battery Layouts ???

Anybody tried running using saddle packs (want to try Lipo's) in a rally ? If so how have you done it and any pics to show ???

It says you can on this link but dont know how it is done............

HPI Archive page..........sorry i could'nt post the link !!!

Also as i stripped to clean and rebuild my RS4 Rally what upgrades would you recommend for it, not sure whether to run old school electrics or go the BL route ???

cheers
Old 11-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dexter24
Anybody tried running using saddle packs (want to try Lipo's) in a rally ? If so how have you done it and any pics to show ???

It says you can on this link but dont know how it is done............

HPI Archive page..........sorry i could'nt post the link !!!

Also as i stripped to clean and rebuild my RS4 Rally what upgrades would you recommend for it, not sure whether to run old school electrics or go the BL route ???

cheers
I think normal lipos should come close to fitting as the standard battery pack would. I am pretty sure my turigy lipos are longer then proper hard case lipos and they just fit but not properly. They push the body a little out. Using Velcro to stick saddles each side of the belt makes more sense now that I think about it. Go with a 17 turn or something especially if you want to keep your people top on and stay cool.Making a little vent in a good place and adding a cloth filter and putting a little cooling fan at the other end pulling air wouldn't be hard to do. 17 turn brush less would be a good size though with a 5000mh or bigger you could run for up to 20 minutes at a time I think. Not that I am a expert others will have more accurate info on this.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:56 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Guys! i just want to share my RS4 Rally

its got CF chassis & top deck
CF front & rear shock tower
RPM arms, RPM purple ball cups
slipper clutch
aluminum bellcrank
aluminum front & rear hub
MIP shiny CVD front & rear
MC 330 esc
4200 shorty lipo
HPI Pirreli rally tires
Attached Thumbnails HPI RS4 Rally-img_3046.jpg   HPI RS4 Rally-img_3047.jpg   HPI RS4 Rally-img_3048.jpg   HPI RS4 Rally-img_3050.jpg   HPI RS4 Rally-img_3051.jpg  

Old 11-22-2012, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

more pics
Attached Thumbnails HPI RS4 Rally-img_3052.jpg   HPI RS4 Rally-img_3053.jpg   HPI RS4 Rally-img_3054.jpg   HPI RS4 Rally-img_3055.jpg  
Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

that looks really nice. thanks for sharing!

how is the Shorty lipo working out? looks like it clears the belt ok.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by miles514
more pics
Awesome man any tips on where you picked up the slipper and cf parts?

Last edited by FatBattery; 11-22-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Awesome
Old 11-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Guys!

The shorty is perfect for this car, its light and touches the belt but not that much. I just secure it with a velcro.

The CF parts, slipper and everything were there when I got the car from a fellow racer who quit RC a long time ago. Its got a box full of partsand a brand new set of inner body which I recently painted. I just bought the focus body from Bankok and there it is...

I think I still have a spare slipper here somewhere...

Last edited by miles514; 11-23-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

I tried putting Lipo into mine (Turnigy 5000) and its a little long. I also have some Orion Lipos, (3200 and 4800) and both are tight.

I notched the battery holders hoping that I could slide a lipo in, but its just too tight. I need to actually measure the space.

I wonder if Soft case Lipo is the way to go. What Lipo are others using? I get batteries from Venom, I think my best bet is to compare the space and measure a lipo that comes close to fitting.

MOmo
Old 11-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MOmo
I tried putting Lipo into mine (Turnigy 5000) and its a little long. I also have some Orion Lipos, (3200 and 4800) and both are tight.

I notched the battery holders hoping that I could slide a lipo in, but its just too tight. I need to actually measure the space.

I wonder if Soft case Lipo is the way to go. What Lipo are others using? I get batteries from Venom, I think my best bet is to compare the space and measure a lipo that comes close to fitting.

MOmo
you dont want to stick soft lipos in tight spots trust me on that mate. You will short them. I think I had a 300 35 soft turigy but it is too long and most certainly will do it no good. The saddles has to be the best way to go surelly?
Old 11-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MOmo

MOmo
I discovered that my shorty lipo (from my tamiya F1) fits perfectly on my rs4 rally, I just make a velcro enclosure at the side and a foam underneat the top deck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.