Search

Viper esc Good and bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:10 AM
WRR
Tech Adept

Default Viper esc Good and bad?

The official thread are so long!!!

Want to know peoples experiences so far with this speed controller. Thinking of buying a Viper combo and use it in a 4wd off road modified class.
Whats good and whats bad? Programming and drive ability? Durability?

Been running LRP for years now but want to try something new and do not want replies like " Buy a tekin instead or buy a Hobbywing instead"
As the title said.

Thanks
//Alex
Old 08-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Just get a Tekin.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

As for the Viper, I haven't run one yet but have seen a couple and they look pretty good. Might be worth a try.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

8000+ posts. is that possible?? you legend!!!

viper maybe good maybe bad?

Originally Posted by wingracer
Just get a Tekin.
save your thinking and typing time for practice.
+1
Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 AM
WRR
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by daverobbo5
save your thinking and typing time for practice.
+1
I am a thinker
Still need more advice though.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

I have never heard anything bad about the Viper esc......I am currently running a Ko Propo BMC v1.5 and it's the best unit I have ran to date.....amazingly smooth/fast speedo!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:50 PM
WRR
Tech Adept

More feedback please. Really interested in this combo. Anything on the motors too?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've had the VTX10/17.5T combo since about June in a 2WD buggy.

I find the progauge easy to use. The motor temp shut off works as planned. Plus they have these PWM frequencies you can set. I've played with them a little, but haven't noticed a difference. It's probably just me and my poor driving skills.

The biggest seller for me was the progauge, the nice plus was that it was a little cheaper than Tekin (I have the Tekin RS/17.5T in my SC).

There are little things like the on/off switch is nice in that it is covered, but next to it is the progauge programming port which is wide open. Wish they would have just provided a little rubber plug for that. Also, I wish they would have provided a sensor wire hold down for the motor side (like Tekin does).
Old 08-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ok i like tekin before i ran this thing. man i know the the tekin guy's are going to get me.but hands down viper no more need for my laptop at the track. it's so smooth and user friendly.i hope they put a 8th scale one soon.oh and u can check servos and batts with the progauge.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Mine will be here tomorrow. A local MN guy is having good luck with his witch led me to buy it. Plus i wont have to drag the girlfriends labtop to the track.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

You guys probably already know this, but you do not have to have a computer to set up a Tekin.

The ProGauge is super cool though!

Last edited by RcRacer27mx; 08-23-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

works well
you can change setting with programmer, don't need computer

I would get whichever the top drivers at your track run and have them help you tune. I have had good luck with viper and tekin team drivers helping

I just don't see any advantage over tekin unless you hate computers and don't have one available
Old 08-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by RcRacer27mx
You guys probably already know this, but you do not have to have a computer to set up a Tekin.

The ProGauge is super cool though!
And you don't have to take your laptop to the track, honestly I set my ESCs and really don't change them much. If you love to tweak setups then you shouldn't be complaining about taking a laptop or netbook, I see tons of people with them at the track. Some people, on the otherhand, are a bit obsessed with adjustments and really overdo it sometimes lol.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 267 (98%+)

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
And you don't have to take your laptop to the track, honestly I set my ESCs and really don't change them much. If you love to tweak setups then you shouldn't be complaining about taking a laptop or netbook, I see tons of people with them at the track. Some people, on the otherhand, are a bit obsessed with adjustments and really overdo it sometimes lol.
Tekin for the WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Super smooth, easy to work with, use either preset profiles (8 included) or use the ProGauge to make your own adjustments. Temp cut offs for the esc and motor to protect both, bec adjustments depending on servos you are running.

Run 17.5? - look at the results of major events lately - you will see the Viper name. Not bad for the new kid on the block (about a year old).
Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have been running a viper esc and 10.5 motor in my sc truck for about 6 months now. I was running a mmpro and novak motor and i have never looked back. very smooth with lots power.
MUST SEE VIDEO.... Qual'ed 4th. The 1st half of the video i was battling for 2nd then the 2nd half i was battling for 1st. very exciting video. The battle for 2nd was with a silver Kyosho and the battle for 1st was with a green and black Kyosho. I got the win by .036 of a second.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.