Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlandon
Problem here guys and need some thoughts. I'm a good way into my build and I'm having some odd issues with the tranny. It is bound up really bad. First issue was that the diff gear had burrs all over it and the mesh was awful. I cleaned it up and it seems to be good enough for now. Next issue is the screw that goes through the top of the diff case and threads into the motor plate does not line up. I had to force it in. At this point the gears are still relatively smooth for not being broke in yet so i am feeling pretty good so far. Now the real issue comes when with the slipper/spur assembly. As soon as I apply pressure to the slipper spring by threading on the nut it begins to bind. I remove the slipper/spur assembly and everything is smooth again. Everything looks good per the manual. I have been on the 22 platform since it came out and this is my 5th build (22, 2 x 22t, 22sct)...I have unassemble, assembled and rebuilt these same parts many many times and have never had this issue. I was at my wits end last night about 11pm and had to walk away and will be revisiting tonight after work. Just looking for any thoughts you guys may have after a frazzled night last night before I get back to it tonight.

Thanks
I had a problem like this and it was because I overtightened the screws going thru the case. I backed the off a little and they worked fine.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hobbyten
I had a problem like this and it was because I overtightened the screws going thru the case. I backed the off a little and they worked fine.
I have ran into that also. I took them completely out and only had half the case on and it is still binding. Thanks, I should have mentioned that in my original post.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by abinder
Just a thought; how much drag brake are you using. It's possible that the rear wheels are 'locking-up' somewhat and causing the rear end to slide around when you let off of the throttle.

Allen
I thought the same thing. I dont tun any drag brake.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tmo420
I thought the same thing. I dont tun any drag brake.
If you have a ball diff, maybe the ball diff is too tight and acting like a drag brake.
(Just another thought.)

Allen
Old 10-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

Rinninf gear diff atm
Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlandon
Problem here guys and need some thoughts. I'm a good way into my build and I'm having some odd issues with the tranny. It is bound up really bad. First issue was that the diff gear had burrs all over it and the mesh was awful. I cleaned it up and it seems to be good enough for now. Next issue is the screw that goes through the top of the diff case and threads into the motor plate does not line up. I had to force it in. At this point the gears are still relatively smooth for not being broke in yet so i am feeling pretty good so far. Now the real issue comes when with the slipper/spur assembly. As soon as I apply pressure to the slipper spring by threading on the nut it begins to bind. I remove the slipper/spur assembly and everything is smooth again. Everything looks good per the manual. I have been on the 22 platform since it came out and this is my 5th build (22, 2 x 22t, 22sct)...I have unassemble, assembled and rebuilt these same parts many many times and have never had this issue. I was at my wits end last night about 11pm and had to walk away and will be revisiting tonight after work. Just looking for any thoughts you guys may have after a frazzled night last night before I get back to it tonight.

Thanks
Posting this in case anyone else runs into this. I figured out the issue. Sent a PM to Frank R and he got back to me with this.

"We have updated the slipper plates to have a taper on them that may be interfering with the tranny case. We have also update the tranny case, but I think you might have new slipper plate paired with an order tranny case which is causing this issue. All you need to do, is use a body reamer to open up the top shaft exit hole from the outside of the case just a bit. This will effectively give the tranny case the update we have made to it, and everything should fit together fine after that."

I reamed out the opening a bit and it is fine now. Thanks Frank!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Hey everyone, got a quick question for you. I run a 22 and 22T, love them both. Far better than my AE's were. One of the guys at the local track was telling me he runs a lead weight between the trans and back of the battery case. I have searched around on build threads and I can't find anything on it. Has anyone heard of this being done ?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

sounds similar to the ballast weight run by the AE guys. TLR has the tranny weight option but that's not in that location. I'm guessing he means he puts weight behind the battery instead.

I personally don't run either.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run 1/2 oz. On top of trans-camber plate and 1/4oz behind the battery
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer1812
sounds similar to the ballast weight run by the AE guys. TLR has the tranny weight option but that's not in that location. I'm guessing he means he puts weight behind the battery instead.

I personally don't run either.
Thanks Racer. He actually gave me two of the weights So I looked on the amain site and they look the same. He did show me where he sticks them. I'm doing the tranny mod right now and I just don't see how he gets it in there without forcing it in there. If it's not a normal mod I'm not going to mess with it. Thanks again !
Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Hey guys Im having trouble with the rear end washing out on me. What are you guys doing to help with forward bite in low traction conditions? The track I run on is hard packed clay and its pretty slick. Should I run pins or something like the suburb? I usually run suburbs in the front.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sunco1
Hey guys Im having trouble with the rear end washing out on me. What are you guys doing to help with forward bite in low traction conditions? The track I run on is hard packed clay and its pretty slick. Should I run pins or something like the suburb? I usually run suburbs in the front.
I am having the same issue but u run mid motor. Its better now after changing ti lighter oil in the rear. U also run more camber in the rear than normal.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmo420
I am having the same issue but u run mid motor. Its better now after changing ti lighter oil in the rear. U also run more camber in the rear than normal.
I'm running rear motor and I already have light oil in my shocks. I'm running 27.5 with white springs. Im also running -2 camber in the rear
Old 10-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chase1472
most of the TLR guys 22T are prototypes. They have been driving them for past 3 months at my track each ones a little different depending on what version they have. Some have the side guards some don't.
Does anyone know if those side trays are being be made for the public to buy ? I'd buy that in hearbeat to get rid of body clips like on the 22. So much easier using velcro. Thanks
Old 10-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by copey70
Does anyone know if those side trays are being be made for the public to buy ? I'd buy that in hearbeat to get rid of body clips like on the 22. So much easier using velcro. Thanks
Mitten might have what your looking for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.