Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quick question for you guys... running the stock 48 pitch spur gear, what pinion/FDR should I shoot for for a duo 13.5?

Cpt.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
The thing I find interesting about gear diffs, is people talk about the being "very tuneable for different surfaces" by changing the oil.
Now, to do that you have to drain the oil and put new stuff in, which MAY be a 5 minute job, IF you don't make a mess.
With a ball diff, I jsut pop one ball joint, stick a driver in one outdrive and an allen in the other and tweak. No more than 30 seconds, and I can do it with everything hooked up and the car on the ground.
So, WHY does this "tuneability" thing always come out with gear diffs? What am I missing?
I agree... sure its tunable but its going to be some time to get it in and out. Everyone I've talked to just says it drives different, so I'm curious... I ordered one today and I'll try it one saturday when i have a few hours to mess with it.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
The thing I find interesting about gear diffs, is people talk about the being "very tuneable for different surfaces" by changing the oil.
Now, to do that you have to drain the oil and put new stuff in, which MAY be a 5 minute job, IF you don't make a mess.
With a ball diff, I jsut pop one ball joint, stick a driver in one outdrive and an allen in the other and tweak. No more than 30 seconds, and I can do it with everything hooked up and the car on the ground.
So, WHY does this "tuneability" thing always come out with gear diffs? What am I missing?
Tightening a ball diff is not tuning, if you over tighten a ball diff there's no upside, it just gets worse. Using fluids to tune a gear diff has a usable effect.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Quick question for you guys... running the stock 48 pitch spur gear, what pinion/FDR should I shoot for for a duo 13.5?

Cpt.
cant really run what you need with stock spur. You should get the 75t spur or around there.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Tech Legend

Captain America

32p/72s(B-4)
Old 09-05-2009, 12:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I have a short question, I remember back a bit a guy posted how to put quick change hubs on the front of the T4. If somebody knows, could you refresh my memory? I know a guy who was wanting to do it... Of course after he saw the qc's on my RT5
Old 09-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
I have a short question, I remember back a bit a guy posted how to put quick change hubs on the front of the T4. If somebody knows, could you refresh my memory? I know a guy who was wanting to do it... Of course after he saw the qc's on my RT5
You a PM
Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America

Cpt.
For my Ballistic 13.5, I've been told to run 78T Spur + 24T Pinion, give or take a tooth depending on the track.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
That makes them tunable and they do work well in 1/8th because that class of vehicle allows for things to be built more heavily than 1/10th racing currently demands. There's still inherent binding under load, all of the gears in a gear diff naturally want to spread apart when power is applied, that doesn't happen in ball diffs. Perhaps someone will come up with a way to make silicone oils more slippery (they're not great lubricants) with some kind of additives..
Where do you get this bind, i've run everything with gear diff and never notice it?

Also if you want you can add some grease to your silicone oil, works very good for diffs.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i think we start our indoor season this thursday. anyways, i got a ballistic 8.5, what are you guys geared at for the 8.5 motors? we running on a short and tight track. im running the b4 btw.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by not home
i think we start our indoor season this thursday. anyways, i got a ballistic 8.5, what are you guys geared at for the 8.5 motors? we running on a short and tight track. im running the b4 btw.
24/78 area.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Legend

UK

Spend the gears with out the top half of the gear cover .
They will push out of the pin slots rather easy correct ?

This the force Dave is refering to .....

When you put the cover back on and apply real power, this force is ampified quite a bit and as a result the gears & pins can bind against each other....

more power or torque ?
worst the problem gets .....

This why Nitro can get away with , gas motors have low torque compared to electric.....

prediction

coming soon for your 1/8th scale E ...

ball diffs !!!!

With out you will be left in the dust....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 09-05-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Captain America

32p/72s(B-4)
Ok, Ill start there... thanks Geo.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
Where do you get this bind, i've run everything with gear diff and never notice it?

Also if you want you can add some grease to your silicone oil, works very good for diffs.
It's not so bad that anything locks up, they're just not quite as smooth under load the way they are now which is why the AE guys are finding the ball diffs to be a little faster still. They obviously work pretty well in 1:1 cars so the potential must be there. Ball diffs have been working so well for so long in 1/10 electric that I don't think anyone has spent any effort on improving the existing gear diffs. Ball diffs are very light too. It doesn't hurt that AE's diff is so dialed that it can be assembled and set almost perfectly every time just by following the instructions for tightening.

Question: I got a composite chassis from a friend to replace the graphite one I have. He used shoe-goo to glue down his radio gear and it's still in the chassis, I like servo taping. Anyone know how to remove shoe-goo without damaging the chassis?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
UK

Spend the gears with out the top half of the gear cover .
They will push out of the pin slots rather easy correct ?

This the force Dave is refering to .....

When you put the cover back on and apply real power, this force is ampified quite a bit and as a result the gears & pins can bind against each other....

more power or torque ?
worst the problem gets .....

This why Nitro can get away with , gas motors have low torque compared to electric.....

prediction

coming soon for your 1/8th scale E ...

ball diffs !!!!

With out you will be left in the dust....
Yeah right. Ball diffs in 8th scales your a tool. They can't handle the, and there not tune able like gear diffs. And the ball diffs can't handle that much power e-8 scales or nitro. Gear diffs are they way for 8 scales. You should now that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.