Search
Like Tree55Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carbon madness
With the lower # motors or higher powered motors you use gearing that is just a little higher then what you would with say a brushed motor of about equal performance. However with the lower powered motors like the 10.5, 13.5, 17.5, etc you have to gear them to the moon to get the motors in their power band.

As for pic's of that track, here are some pic's on my cars on that track (well last years layout anyways)

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...3/RC%20racing/
Yup, just moved from a 32/78 to a 33/78 on my b4 with novak 13.5, still isnt getting over 130F.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Is the 76 spur for the RB5 the same as the zx5 4wd?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks guys, the track I run on has about a 80' straight. I will try to get some pictures of the layout.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tater salad
Yup, just moved from a 32/78 to a 33/78 on my b4 with novak 13.5, still isnt getting over 130F.
How long are you running it before the temps are taken? I am running a 28/78 with Novak 13.5 and in a 6 min main it is barely warm to touch. Am I missing out on power like this?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

im running a 32/78 with a 13.5 and its just warm but i think im maxed out on the gearing. ive remember reading about using a 76 kyosho spur.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jube
How long are you running it before the temps are taken? I am running a 28/78 with Novak 13.5 and in a 6 min main it is barely warm to touch. Am I missing out on power like this?
About the same amount of time, and now that i think of it it barely gets to 115F not 130, sorry
Old 11-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mandy116
im running a 32/78 with a 13.5 and its just warm but i think im maxed out on the gearing. ive remember reading about using a 76 kyosho spur.
You should be able to put a 33 in, i was able to. Ive heard that you have to run the kyosho slipper pads or cut dowm the stock ae ones to fit in the kyosho spur
Old 11-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

http://teamnovak.com/tech_info/infor..._motor_doc.pdf

NOTICE TO NOVAK BRUSHLESS MOTOR USERS
Novak motors have been designed to handle the rigors of any form of electric racing, from touring cars to off-road trucks and buggies.
Through multiple forms of testing, customer reports and inspection of damaged motors, we have determined that the maximum external safe operating temperature for Novak brushless motors is 175⁰F (80⁰C). Motors that run at higher temperatures have sustained internal damage.
This internal damage can render the motor inoperable if you continue to run it and will ultimately result in burned or melted coil(s) inside the motor.
This type of damage to the motor is not covered under Novak’s product warranty.
From our testing and experience, keeping the external motor operating temperature under 160⁰F (72⁰C) will provide the best performance when the car is handling well. At this temperature, the motors’ racing life will last a long time and should require only occasional replacement of the bearings and rotors.
Precaution about Advanced Timing:
Use of Novak brushless motors with non-Novak ESCs that have advance motor timing can result in excessive current draw, which will increase the motor temperature above the safe operating temperature. As most of these ESCs do not have a thermal overload protection for motors, continued operation will result in internal damage to the brushless motor.
This type of damage is not covered under the product’s warranty.
Precaution about Over-Gearing:
Motor temperature is the ONLY way to properly set the vehicle gearing. Over gearing the motor will result in excessive operating temperatures, which may result in internal damage. This type of damage is not covered under the product’s warranty.
All Novak Motors are hand-wound, assembled and tested at the Novak’s facility in Irvine, Calif. Each motor (yes, 100%) is meticulously inspected and tested for internal shorts, as well as run extensively before final packaging.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jake S
http://teamnovak.com/tech_info/infor..._motor_doc.pdf

NOTICE TO NOVAK BRUSHLESS MOTOR USERS
Novak motors have been designed to handle the rigors of any form of electric racing, from touring cars to off-road trucks and buggies.
Through multiple forms of testing, customer reports and inspection of damaged motors, we have determined that the maximum external safe operating temperature for Novak brushless motors is 175⁰F (80⁰C). Motors that run at higher temperatures have sustained internal damage.
This internal damage can render the motor inoperable if you continue to run it and will ultimately result in burned or melted coil(s) inside the motor.
This type of damage to the motor is not covered under Novak’s product warranty.
From our testing and experience, keeping the external motor operating temperature under 160⁰F (72⁰C) will provide the best performance when the car is handling well. At this temperature, the motors’ racing life will last a long time and should require only occasional replacement of the bearings and rotors.
Precaution about Advanced Timing:
Use of Novak brushless motors with non-Novak ESCs that have advance motor timing can result in excessive current draw, which will increase the motor temperature above the safe operating temperature. As most of these ESCs do not have a thermal overload protection for motors, continued operation will result in internal damage to the brushless motor.
This type of damage is not covered under the product’s warranty.
Precaution about Over-Gearing:
Motor temperature is the ONLY way to properly set the vehicle gearing. Over gearing the motor will result in excessive operating temperatures, which may result in internal damage. This type of damage is not covered under the product’s warranty.
All Novak Motors are hand-wound, assembled and tested at the Novak’s facility in Irvine, Calif. Each motor (yes, 100%) is meticulously inspected and tested for internal shorts, as well as run extensively before final packaging.
Yup, and thats the problem, with the stock slipper set-up we cant even reach anywhere remotely close to 160F. Im currently maxed out at a 33/78 with a 13.5 and gtb.
Ae really needs to make some smaller spurs that use the STOCK slipper pads, i run on a small track so top speed isnt much of an issue and im still clearing everything with no problems so i havent done the mods to put on a smaller spur.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tater salad
You should be able to put a 33 in, i was able to. Ive heard that you have to run the kyosho slipper pads or cut dowm the stock ae ones to fit in the kyosho spur
+1 The 76 spur for a zx5 will fit. I have been running this on a b4 with trimmed ae slipper pads for a few races with no problems.

I actually don't gear the 13.5 that deep though. I took a few teeth off the pinion and got quicker - but I am on a pretty tight track. Accelerates much quicker and runs up to the jumps better. Only runs 110-120 degrees. But, I may be missing something as I am still figuring out this BL/Lipo/indoor stuff.... It seems the buggy is much faster than I am. LOL!

MHOR in Denver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuGyZT5kP6Q
Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You could also use a Losi spur gear with their pads to get a 76 spur on the b4
Old 11-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

MHOR is super tight... been there many times.

I would gear it off of lap times and how easy it is to drive... for mod anyway.

I have yet to thermal in any of my cars since switching to Venom systems. MY GTB's thermal'd all the time.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

The following was posted by another member here in the Northwest but some good info, gonna give it a shot for the T4 as well but he is speaking to the B4....... Most of the links dont work? but just search for that part and you will get it......

"Now that more people are using 17.5's in prep for the ECT this winter, I've had a few people asked me how to mount a smaller size spur gear onto the b4(or XXX) and retain the slipper clutch...

Obviously there is a "slipper eliminator" out there. But our cars have the slipper clutch on the car for many reasons; diff life, transmission wear, handling, and weight bias...

Below I have created a list of parts, mostly AE parts and 1 Losi part to make this conversion.

These parts you will need to acquire:

T3 Slipper Plate (outer)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LX3446&P=SM

T3 Slipper Pad
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LX3447&P=SM

T3 Spur Gear Bushing
http://aedownloads.com/downloads/item_photos/6599.jpg

T3 Slipper Spring and Nut
http://aedownloads.com/downloads/item_photos/6587.jpg

T3 Spur gear screws
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2862&P=7

Losi Hydra Drive Spring Cup and Spring Kit
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/15126

This part you will already have-

B4 Slipper Plate (Inner)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEAD0&P=SM

On the Losi part A-3124. You will need to cut one end of this spacer flush, make sure you keep the side that is "keyed" the same way as the top shaft. Once this is cut you are ready to assemble the slipper clutch.

I have created a transmission blow apart drawing. This drawing shows the basic assembly of the slipper clutch.

Also shown in this drawing are the new parts used in the assembly, these have been highlighted yellow.

Here is the link for the blow apart drawing-
(SEE ATTACHMENT)

I originally assembled and it is geared at 31/69. It seems to be pretty close for the power band. But I would recommend carrying a 30,31,32 pinion selection..."

Worth A Shot

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...8dd56a_o-1.jpg
Old 11-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Talking

Hey,

I know everyone is talking about gearing for 13.5 or even higher bl motors, but I have a different setup and very new to the whole bl thing. In fact, I haven't even run it yet!

Here's what I have...
Associated B4
LRP Sphere Comp ESC
Orion 3200 Lipo
Speed Passion 17.5 BL Motor
Gearing is set at 23/81

Can someone help with what kinda gearing I should be using please?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TorchAZ
Hey,

I know everyone is talking about gearing for 13.5 or even higher bl motors, but I have a different setup and very new to the whole bl thing. In fact, I haven't even run it yet!

Here's what I have...
Associated B4
LRP Sphere Comp ESC
Orion 3200 Lipo
Speed Passion 17.5 BL Motor
Gearing is set at 23/81

Can someone help with what kinda gearing I should be using please?

Thanks in advance!
For that motor you'll need the smallest spur and largest pinion you can find, seriously. Have a look here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...5-new-134.html Guys are running 68 - 71 tooth spurs with 30-32 tooth pinions to get the 17.5 moving. It requires a little creativity with the slipper setup but it seems to be doable. Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.