Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Could be a low voltage from the batteries too. What cells are he running. My friend had the same issues and found out it was a voltage issue.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

He's using GP 4200. we could check the cells tomorrow. But when it's not glitching he still almsot outruns me so I didn't think about bad cells.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I vote for RX, because the servo is glitching at the same time. I would try another servo first. Just trust me I worked at a hobby shop for a few years.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What about a bad receiver?????
Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Tech Champion

We were thinking along the same lines as you guys. He tried a second rx, exact same kind, and had the same problem. We tried a Futaba 3PK with spektrum and the spektrum Rx and had the same problem. Would this lead to the ESC? That is the only thing we haven't tried changing.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Make sure to clean the recievers out. I have had this problem a couple times this summer and i pop the reciever apart and there is dirt under the circut board after i clean them out they are fine. The novak's have that big capacitor but maybe there is something wrong with it you could plug an external one into the reciever just to see if maybe that could be it! The dirt has gotten me before though so try that first. hope you get ti figured out there is nothing worse than a glitch!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

also maybe clean out the speed control it might have dirt under the board to.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Tech Champion

Cool. Thanks guys. And wish us luck. I like racing with this guy cause he is just faster than me and it gives me a challenge plus makes him stoked to be able to just edge me out when we get to the mains. I'm having too much fun in this electric class.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:40 AM
Tech Adept

I have had many problems like this before and 90% of the time it was a servo. Look at those closely. Replace them if you can. Unfortunately there is no exact science to glitching except try everything once then do it several more times.
Good luck.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RURC
I have had many problems like this before and 90% of the time it was a servo. Look at those closely. Replace them if you can. Unfortunately there is no exact science to glitching except try everything once then do it several more times.
Good luck.
Any idea why the servo? Is it causing a voltage drop? I'm lost with this deal. I have the exact same setup except for radio and RX. I use spek. in my 3PK. I can't even get mine to budge slightly. Today we are gonna try hooking his stuff to my speed control and hope for no glitches. That way he can send his ESC to Novak. IDK My BFF Jill.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Electrical problems can be really weird sometimes, on my old 1/8th Buggy I was fighting a nasty glitch (random bursts of full throttle have a way of unnerving you) and came across a gash in the insulation of one of my steering servo's wires. Didn't cut the wire and wasn't exposed to any conductive surfaces nearby, just an exposed segment of wire. Covered it with some electrical tape and problem solved. Fixed a throttle issue by patching a harmless wire that went to the steering servo. Strange, huh?

I had a real rash of problems back when I had my RC10T3. I'd run an entire winter season on a Futaba MC330CR ESC, Novak XXL FM receiver, and a Hitec HS-645MG servo, no issues. Summer came, I packed it away. Next fall I run a few packs in the driveway to shake the cobwebs loose and suddenly the servo's movement to the right gets really slow. I pick it up and flip the switch to turn it off...and it doesn't. Then I just about burn myself on the transistor tabs, followed by the ESC making a lot of beeping noises and LED flashing. Unplugged the battery and let it sit for an hour. Plugged it back in and now nothing works. One 645MG and one MC230CR later and I race the whole season, again with no problems.

Until I pull it out of storage the following fall, and the exact same thing happens again. Only this time I got to it before it killed the ESC. Replaced the Hitec servo with a similar Futaba model and raced the season. Then in the spring I traded my T3 as a rolling chassis so I could get a T4. The guy that got my T3 put his own electronics (including a HS-645MG servo) into it and raced it at my home track that fall. About halfway through our first point season, he gets hit with the same problem. I'm watching just before his race starts and he pulls off the track, and I see the same telltale symptom of the steering servo not traveling to the right at full speed. Blew up the servo, and I think it killed his ESC too.

Ever since I've had people tell me the HS-645MG is a great steering servo, they've had theirs for years in their monster truck or doing throttle duty on an 1/8th Buggy, but I just can't bring myself to trust them. Still can't, actually. Weird stuff...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Wow. Lots of bad things. Now I'm scared. I just put a 645 in my GT2 two days ago. Wish me luck. For my buddy, I'll take everything off his T4 and inspect it. I did check the wire bundle from ESC to RX that travels under the batterys. I couldn't see any broken, bent, or frayed wires. We also tried the short bundle included with the Novak system. No fix. This problems showed up three weekends back. We had him cover the chassis with electrical tape and he was able to race the next two weekends. But yesterday in practice "Oops" it's back again. I'll check every mm of wire today.

When bench testing yesterday we didn't hook the servo up. We had the ESC, RX, battery, and motor laid out on the wood bench to completely eliminate the carbon chassis. Something is not happy, we just can't figure it out. I appreciate everyones comments. We have more items to check for now. thanx
Old 09-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

if he is using the factory team chassis, you need to line the battery tray, or the battery will short on the tray, and this causes glitching sometimes. i had this happen last year before i learned this.

Originally Posted by air8
We had the ESC, RX, battery, and motor laid out on the wood bench to completely eliminate the carbon chassis
oops didn't see that....if the esc ever got wet, i have had that cause glitching before (stupid me drifting an old tc3 on ice)
Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

@air8 - Well to me it's a fine servo, for exactly 1 year anyway. Then it blows up your truck

After the 2nd one I emailed "Technically Support" at hitec with my story and they told me the servo motor might've gone bad, "send it in and we'll replace it". 2 bombs going off the same way, and unknown to me at the time, a lit fuse in the truck I just traded? No thanks, I'll try a different manufacturer.

I already had a Futaba ESC so I figured if my problem was some freakish compatibility issue, I'd get a Futaba servo as well. Been running the same S3305 ever since.

Last edited by OTE_TheMissile; 09-07-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
@air8 - Well to me it's a fine servo, for exactly 1 year anyway. Then it blows up your truck
LOL. Same thing happened to my JR9000t on sunday. Don't have the receipt though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.