Like Tree31Likes

Traxxas 2wd Slash Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up Good Drivng Dom!!! :)

Originally Posted by HighLife420
Raced today with my MIP and i have it fully dialed atm. Perfect for my local track.

Im using the stock setup with a few changes.

Using B in the rear camber link and the hubs are fully back. I also run only 1 degree of toe out in the front. I'm running 553 right now but might go 7 in the center.

Truck felt GREAT. No reason to change a thing unless the surface changes.

Took 1st in my qual before the rain started =) Had one of the fastest lap times ive had on this track.
Sad end to a good day!

Old 07-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I ran the full Matt Olsen set up for the first time today at Mikes new track. There is a long 270 degree sweeper at the end of the straight and this set up makes it very easy to carry corner speed all the way through it. I made quite a few inside passes there today. The set up has a slight on power push that I prefer. Oddly, most of the other racers that ran the kit at Mikes really don't feel comfortable with it yet, although they were all working on their own setups. I will help any of them that will accept my input. I spoke with one racer that was having problems with the Bypass shock setups. He was up to 80 weight oil to get enough pack. Another racer gave up on the Bypass pistons all together. The one common thing among all the drivers with Bypass problems is that they were all running emulsion, not bladders. My thoughts are the Bypass works correctly or better with bladder shocks. I let quite a few of the faster guys, Ryan Lutz being one of them, drive my truck and they all loved it. They all said "it's easy to carry corner speed and it jumps and lands great". I noticed that I can get on the throttle quite a bit sooner than my old set up. Well done Eustus and the MIP team.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi b
I ran the full Matt Olsen set up for the first time today at Mikes new track. There is a long 270 degree sweeper at the end of the straight and this set up makes it very easy to carry corner speed all the way through it. I made quite a few inside passes there today. The set up has a slight on power push that I prefer. Oddly, most of the other racers that ran the kit at Mikes really don't feel comfortable with it yet, although they were all working on their own setups. I will help any of them that will accept my input. I spoke with one racer that was having problems with the Bypass shock setups. He was up to 80 weight oil to get enough pack. Another racer gave up on the Bypass pistons all together. The one common thing among all the drivers with Bypass problems is that they were all running emulsion, not bladders. My thoughts are the Bypass works correctly or better with bladder shocks. I let quite a few of the faster guys, Ryan Lutz being one of them, drive my truck and they all loved it. They all said "it's easy to carry corner speed and it jumps and lands great". I noticed that I can get on the throttle quite a bit sooner than my old set up. Well done Eustus and the MIP team.
The guys that were running 80wt were they running the mip towers or stock towers?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I tried running the bypass pistons on my BCE chassis. I could not get enough pack either. It dawned on me the other day that I have been running emusion for close to a year.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi b
So you are running Matt's exact shock settings with bladders in correct and liked the results? Do you feel this set up would work well on a smaller track that's a bit more on the rough and loose side?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcgod
The guys that were running 80wt were they running the mip towers or stock towers?

MIP

Last edited by losi b; 07-24-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 07-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jcbudny
So you are running Matt's exact shock settings with bladders in correct and liked the results? Do you feel this set up would work well on a smaller track that's a bit more on the rough and loose side?
Exact setup except for Pro 4 4000kv motor and Bowtie SC tires. I would think that this setup would work on a tight track very well. You might want to go down a bit in the diff oils. It's a very easy to drive setup. It does push slightly on power but I prefer a little push in all of my cars. The push tends to mask my mistakes.

Last edited by losi b; 07-23-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Rewording
Old 07-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default quick question

So i just picked up the pro4mance kit and am going to build it tomorrow and i want to make sure if i want to build for rebound i put the valves on top correct. And by doing this it gives faster rebound right. One more question do i put them in the same order as i would for compression. Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Yes. Running the shocks with the valve on top is rebound. The valve on the bottom it will be on compression.

Running it on rebound will let the car rebound faster and compress slower. Running it compression the shock will compress faster and rebound slower.

Also you build it exactly reversed. Washers and all.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by HighLife420
Yes. Running the shocks with the valve on top is rebound. The valve on the bottom it will be on compression.

Running it on rebound will let the car rebound faster and compress slower. Running it compression the shock will compress faster and rebound slower.

Also you build it exactly reversed. Washers and all.
Thanks that is what I needed to know.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was able to race my MIP SCTE this weekend and it felt pretty good. Changed directions real well and quick. My car did look and feel somewhat bouncy in sections though. I run on a hardpacked indoor clay and it is pretty smooth. Im wondering if I need to slow down the rebound to smooth it out or go with thicker oil. Any insight would be helpful. My current setup is:

Oil: AE45/40-F/R with Blue valves .007 for rebound.
Springs: MIP Yellow/Blue Front(3.9)-F/R
Diff: 5/5/3
Sway: Thin Black/Silver-F/R
Ride Ht: 26/26 body off
Old 07-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by impp83
I was able to race my MIP SCTE this weekend and it felt pretty good. Changed directions real well and quick. My car did look and feel somewhat bouncy in sections though. I run on a hardpacked indoor clay and it is pretty smooth. Im wondering if I need to slow down the rebound to smooth it out or go with thicker oil. Any insight would be helpful. My current setup is:

Oil: AE45/40-F/R with Blue valves .007 for rebound.
Springs: MIP Yellow/Blue Front(3.9)-F/R
Diff: 5/5/3
Sway: Thin Black/Silver-F/R
Ride Ht: 26/26 body off
It depends on the dampening or pack. If only the rebound is unfavorable, try using thicker valves to slow it down. But if the dampening is a bit harsh, go ahead and run a lighter weight oil but the rebound may be a bit faster as well.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The dampening is not harsh at all I was actually going to try AE50/45 or 45/45 F/R and see how that feels. There are quite a few tight sections so I don't want to lose too much low speed steering by running too heavy shock oil. In general though how would you know if the rebound is too fast or too slow?

Originally Posted by J_Bone
It depends on the dampening or pack. If only the rebound is unfavorable, try using thicker valves to slow it down. But if the dampening is a bit harsh, go ahead and run a lighter weight oil but the rebound may be a bit faster as well.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mckenzies
So i just picked up the pro4mance kit and am going to build it tomorrow and i want to make sure if i want to build for rebound i put the valves on top correct. And by doing this it gives faster rebound right. One more question do i put them in the same order as i would for compression. Thanks
When running bypass on rebound Matt's setup shows just one valve being used. If you use the whole stack like the directions show your rebound will probably be the same as compression. Not enough rebound force to flex the whole shim stack. I ran the single blue shim on rebound and it worked well.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by impp83
The dampening is not harsh at all I was actually going to try AE50/45 or 45/45 F/R and see how that feels. There are quite a few tight sections so I don't want to lose too much low speed steering by running too heavy shock oil. In general though how would you know if the rebound is too fast or too slow?
I would try 50/45. That's what I ran on a fairly bumpy track and my truck wasn't bouncy at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.