Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree31Likes

Traxxas 2wd Slash Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 07:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kutless
Does your esc get hot running that big motor on 3s?
Honestly, I didn’t temp it with a temp gun, but it was cool to the touch. It definitely did not “thermal shutdown”. I have not run more than two batteries back-to-back though.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Yesterday I purchased the Slash kit to build with my son and that comes with the Titan 12T brushed motor. I'm thinking it's likely I'll want to upgrade that to a brushless. So my question is, it seems like I can go through the traxxas.com\powerup program and get the VXL-3s and Velineon 3500 for $125. Also looks like maybe I can get the vxl-6s with 2200kv motor, though I'm not sure that is designed for or would fit the slash, but that's $165. Should I just go that route or should I look at alternatives like something from castle creations or hobby wing whom I've seen mentioned in this forum or something else?
Old 06-17-2020, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by steveko23
Yesterday I purchased the Slash kit to build with my son and that comes with the Titan 12T brushed motor. I'm thinking it's likely I'll want to upgrade that to a brushless. So my question is, it seems like I can go through the traxxas.com\powerup program and get the VXL-3s and Velineon 3500 for $125. Also looks like maybe I can get the vxl-6s with 2200kv motor, though I'm not sure that is designed for or would fit the slash, but that's $165. Should I just go that route or should I look at alternatives like something from castle creations or hobby wing whom I've seen mentioned in this forum or something else?
If it ever gets back in stock, this combo beats that Traxxas "Power Up" option in a number of ways:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...123-02/p618580

1) It costs less outright
2) It is a better motor and a more tunable ESC (for when you get to that point)
3) You don't have to pay to ship your Titan Motor and ESC to Traxxas
4) You can sell the Titan motor/ESC for $25-$35 to further cut down the cost of the castle combo

And if you don't need a waterproof ESC you can find earlier Sidewinder combos for less than the $123

If you don't want to wait for it to come back in stock, PM me.
purplegrape likes this.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ta_man
If it ever gets back in stock, this combo beats that Traxxas "Power Up" option in a number of ways:

1) It costs less outright
2) It is a better motor and a more tunable ESC (for when you get to that point)
3) You don't have to pay to ship your Titan Motor and ESC to Traxxas
4) You can sell the Titan motor/ESC for $25-$35 to further cut down the cost of the castle combo

And if you don't need a waterproof ESC you can find earlier Sidewinder combos for less than the $123

If you don't want to wait for it to come back in stock, PM me.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. That's almost exactly the one I was leaning towards wile looking at castle creations website. I was looking at the sw4 4110-3800 and it look like the link you added is a sw sct...I'm not exactly sure what the diff is between those (sorry I can't post a link yet, but it's part CSE010-0164-05), but the both had the 4110-3800 motor. It's also out of stock. I'm not in any super hurry though as I think it'll be fine to get comfortable running with the stock titan 12t for a bit....Assuming I don't blow that motor out quickly.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:54 AM
Tech Initiate

I ended up getting a Hobbywing Max10 SCT 3660SL 3200Kv. My LHS had that in stock and it seemed like a decent option. Not exactly how it'll compare to one of those Castle combos, but it was in stock so I grabbed it. Now I need to learn how to solder. What connectors would you put on the ESC? I was leaning towards XT60. Any real pros/cons to any of the various connectors? The one battery I have has traxxas connectors, but only because that's how I ordered it, my other 2 venom lipos have xt60 and came with a couple adapters. I currently only own traxxas vehicles, but I don't imagine that'll be the case for long which is why I was leaning XT60.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by steveko23
I ended up getting a Hobbywing Max10 SCT 3660SL 3200Kv. My LHS had that in stock and it seemed like a decent option. Not exactly how it'll compare to one of those Castle combos, but it was in stock so I grabbed it. Now I need to learn how to solder. What connectors would you put on the ESC? I was leaning towards XT60. Any real pros/cons to any of the various connectors? The one battery I have has traxxas connectors, but only because that's how I ordered it, my other 2 venom lipos have xt60 and came with a couple adapters. I currently only own traxxas vehicles, but I don't imagine that'll be the case for long which is why I was leaning XT60.
Definitely xt60. Very easy to connect with no sparks like Dean's connectors, and very easy to solder. I switched all of my vehicles over to xt60 from Dean's
Old 01-30-2021, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I am looking To convert my slash into a buggy. I have searched and have some questions. What 17mm adaptors traxxas or another brand? I have the protrac suspension and was wondering what experience people have with wing mounts and mounting them. I plan on running a lexan wing also. Does anyone have the strc top shaft to run the ae slipper? And lastly do the bell cranks from the 4x4 with the servo saver fit the slash 2wd?
thank you in advance

also what bodies are out there?
Old 01-30-2021, 05:11 AM
Tech Regular

Noticed you have a Mini-B. I'm going to get one of those when they come brushless given the esc/receiver are connected.

Honestly, you can convert your slash into a buggy, but you're honestly better off using that $ toward a quality 1/10 2wd buggy with the Losi or Associated.

Keep the Slash as a great SCT (tires are everything for it), and put $ toward a new ACTUAL buggy.

A converted Slash is neither a SCT or an actual buggy, just a frankenmonster that can't be raced easily compared to 2wd buggy or SCT

past racing, the buggy will perform far far better. buggys are about speed and precision. Not commonly associated with Traxxas.

FYI, I love the 2wd slash owning both the 2wd and 4x4 and B6.2.

Fun to go back and forth between the competition buggy with it's fast and precise steering and control and then having fun with a slash on the track.

a Slash buggy gets you neither IMO
Old 01-30-2021, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

We were looking to convert all of our 2wd dusty unused 2wd sc to light ebuggies. For some fun racing
Old 02-03-2021, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default No Range

My son has the Pink Addition Slash. The other day, he went to use it and it would only have range of about 5'. Has any of you experienced this issue? Is it a bad transmitter or a bad receiver? I don't have another slash to swap components to narrow down the issue.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
My son has the Pink Addition Slash. The other day, he went to use it and it would only have range of about 5'. Has any of you experienced this issue? Is it a bad transmitter or a bad receiver? I don't have another slash to swap components to narrow down the issue.
Make sure you have good batteries in the radio and that the main battery is fully charged.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

In addition to Andy's recommendations, Open up the receiver box and make sure the antenna wire is still attached to the receiver and full length (not cut/torn) if the wire is compromised range will suffer.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

I double checked the batteries and even put new ones in. That was my first thought. I then shook the transmitter to make sure I didn't hear any broken parts inside. After that, I took out the receiver and checked the antenna, which was all good. Next, I opened up the receiver to make sure the antenna was connected inside. I guess my next move is to open the transmitter to make sure the antenna is connected inside of it.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
I double checked the batteries and even put new ones in. That was my first thought. I then shook the transmitter to make sure I didn't hear any broken parts inside. After that, I took out the receiver and checked the antenna, which was all good. Next, I opened up the receiver to make sure the antenna was connected inside. I guess my next move is to open the transmitter to make sure the antenna is connected inside of it.
How about the main truck battery? Lipo?
Old 02-04-2021, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Andy Koback
How about the main truck battery? Lipo?
It's a Lipo.
I swapped it out as well as the transmitter batteries. I tested all the batteries also and they are good. In fact, I am using them in another transmitter and car right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.