Search
Like Tree31Likes

Traxxas 2wd Slash Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
If it is totally stock that means you have wider hexes on the front than the rear (the grey hexes on the front of a Slash are wider than the black hexes on the rear).

You could get a pair of the black/rear hexes and that might be enough. Or you could find ones that are even narrower. I'd guess you could take 3-4MM off each side with the right hexes.
Edit: The hexes must have settled a little deeper after removing and replacing the wheels a few times, and now there is a slight amount of play. The nuts must have bottomed out on the axle, but a spacer would probably fix that.

Thanks again. That seemed to do the trick, letting me get down to about -2 camber in the front.

Last edited by BugleBoy10; 11-22-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BugleBoy10
No RPM arms. Totally stock except for the wheels and tires. It could simply be that the 1mm is the straw that broke the camel's back. One more thing: he's using the Fox body, which I believe is off of a 4WD model, but I don't know if those have any different dimensions as the 2WD body.
You have a picture?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dave_S
You have a picture?
Here it is after swapping for the black hexes. You can see the fronts still stick out a bit, but they suck in just enough when the shock compresses.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I’m racing my truck in a spec blinks class, with a 17.5t motor. I think I killed my ESC today. I’m wondering if a HW Justock 35a (260a burst) would do the job for now. Thoughts?
Old 11-24-2018, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I’m racing my truck in a spec blinks class, with a 17.5t motor. I think I killed my ESC today. I’m wondering if a HW Justock 35a (260a burst) would do the job for now. Thoughts?
find out what the amp draw of your motor is then get an esc based on that.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I'm glad someone is racing a Traxxas. Do you ever win against other Brands?
Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by ussprinceton
I'm glad someone is racing a Traxxas. Do you ever win against other Brands?
i don’t always totally lose, but first place is rare. That may, however, have more to do with me being half blind.
jrfoell likes this.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you have your Slash set up with the LCG chassis and the pro line ProTrac suspension kit, have proper tires for the track and have your shocks dialed in, and you're a good driver, you can do well with the slash. 90% of it is just being a good driver that doesn't crash. I've seen guys at the track with TLR and associated trucks that can't drive for nothing get mad because they get beat by a slash. I love it when a Slash wins the mod a-main against all the other name brand race specific trucks. That makes me smile.
jrfoell and RazorRC like this.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Chadly
Guess I'm first in this thread. A buddy I work with is selling me a RTR 2WD slash with battery and 2.4G controller for $75. Its got a lot of upgrades like motor, shocks, and some other stuff I dont remember. I think its a good deal, but as a noob I know absolutely nothing about the slash. I just ordered a lunchbox re-re kit which is my first kit ever for $100, so I am thinking this is a killer deal on the slash.

Anybody have some basic info on the slash there care to share? Is this a good deal? Any advice on upgrades?

Thanks, love this site. I have days and days of reading to do.
I it's a brushless vxl you are gonna want to get TSM if it doesn't already have it.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Punter69
I've gone got me a slash to race with. If I go into a modified class what sort of motor/esc combo is the most popular and fastest?

The truck has velineon at the moment with 2S Lipo. I also just bought an ebay special that has Havoc 3s and Ballistic 8.5t installed. How much faster is this than the velineon, if at all?

Thanks for any advice. I'm going to enter my first race this weekend after being a track basher and nitro user for all my life but never racing so i'm keen to not get left behind!
Pretty sure you’re going to want to modify a slash heavily to compete in a typical mod SCT class. LCG chassis, control arms, shocks, etc. As suggested above, speak to the track about their rules and where your truck would be competitive.

Had my local track still run a Spec Slash class, I would have bought one of those.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by RandomUserName
I it's a brushless vxl you are gonna want to get TSM if it doesn't already have it.
If it’s in decent condition, that a pretty good deal. Given the price, I’d guess it’s got a brushed motor. not much to know otherwise.

As far as a previous post suggesting TSM (Traxxas Stability Management) I offer an alternative idea - learn how to drive it before leaning on electronic nannies. If you do use them, try to use minimum settings. It’ll make you a better driver and if you ever get into racing, it’s most likely against rules.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, my local track is running the stock Slash class. These are the rules for the class.

- Stock Chassis
- Stock tires and wheels. Must have razor blade at minimum height tread across the tire.
- Stock electronics except can use different transmitter and receiver.
- Stock Body (Can be one that comes with truck or direct replacement custom painted)
- Any 2s lipo
- Traxxas Aluminum shock caps permitted
- Traxxas Aluminum caster blocks permitted
- Traxxas Aluminum rear hubs permitted
- Tire sauce permitted
- Any servo map price of $50 or cheaper is allowed. Must be able to show advertised price online or in store.
All replacement parts must be replaced with stock OEM Traxxas parts. If they are not then the vehicle is illegal. We want the racers to police themselves. If you see someone using something they should not be then say something to them,. It is meant to be an entry level class to get racers into the hobby. Come have fun. That is what this class is all about.

With this info, I plan on upgrading the aluminum parts, getting a better transmitter and servo, and using a ProTek R/C 2S 120C Graphene + HV LCG 6100mAh LiPo Battery. With the information I’ve learned over the past few weeks, I think I’ll be ok with the battery but is there anything else I can do, other than practice, to get more out of the truck?
Old 02-10-2019, 02:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

It’s all setup now. If your truck has adjustable camber/steering links, there’s a lot of room there. Adjusting the gearing (if allowed) so you get maximum go without overheating is a no brainer. When they say stock electronics, are they talking brushed motor only, or they including the VXL equipped trucks? That’d make things VERY lopsided.

Anyway, look around for a setup sheets and work from there.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Brushed only and I have the setup sheet with a few to start from. I figured I’d start with a basic setup and get to the track for some practice. Set the gearing and slipper then fine tune it. I was hoping there is something I can do to the shocks or transmission to get a little more out of it. You know, work in the grey area a little.

Last edited by RDNKTaz; 02-10-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RDNKTaz
ProTek R/C 2S 120C Graphene + HV LCG 6100mAh LiPo Battery
Best to double-check with your track before you get a HV battery. Our track has a maximum charge voltage of 8.44 for all 2S classes. It would be hard to tell on club race nights if you're racing legal on a battery that should be charged to 8.7v.

Actually, nevermind - I just found this announcement http://www.roarracing.com/blog_post.php?pid=2272 I'll be snooping on other setups for sure to see who is / isn't running HV

I went with a shorty for my Slash... gives more options for weight distribution - just use foam to space it out.

Last edited by jrfoell; 02-11-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.