Tune With Camber Links >

Tune With Camber Links

Like Tree65Likes

Tune With Camber Links

Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
That's my point. There are too many variables using the solid shock method still. Yes you are eliminating the shocks and springs but there is still slop, chassis flex, arm flex, tire flex, etc. affecting the outcome. If all these come into play in one form or another you will be adding weight to the car to corner weight it incorrectly. It just seems ridiculous to worry about 1/2 ounce on an 8 pound car.

I corner weighted my losi 22 with the shocks on and the rear was eqaul within a few grams. The front was off 50 grams side to side. It turns equally well both ways and the rear end doesn't step out under acceleration. Good enough for me and 99% of the rest of us without getting totally anal about stuff. If I can't feel a difference with a 3 pound buggy then I'm not even going to waste my time with my 1/8 scale.

If you really want to check corner weight put the chassis on scales with equal length standoffs. Take as many variables out as you can. I just hope the chassis is perfectly flat or you will be chasing your tail again.
you dont think you can feel 2oz on a 1/8 buggy? on a 22 or any 2wd is even more critical to me any way but my background is onroad so i am biased towards good balance and i like to think i can feel the difference! at any rate its a good argument and we all learned something i hope

Larlev, someone was supposed to send me Losi shocks but i havent recieved them yet and i cant remember who it was.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If chassis flex is an issue with static balancing on a bench then you are probably using a wet noodle for a chassis!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Moving on now, im not going to argue about it anymore its like religion and politics, if you dont want to believe than you will not. amazes me how the nay sayers have not even tried it but seem to already know it wont work!

[/IMG]
When it comes to math and science it's never about faith.

Last edited by Shocker; 08-04-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Sorry. My mistake on the conversion. I meant 15 grams not 50. Either way it was 1/2 ounce different.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

...and the thread has officially gone downhill. Thanks guys. It's been fun.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanx marcus for doing the test. While i personally dont have the solid shocks i still enjoyed learning something! There is math and then there is actually doing something. Some are content on armchair quartebacking but you took the time to try someone elses idea and then share the results with us. So thanks man !
Old 08-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
...and the thread has officially gone downhill. Thanks guys. It's been fun.
Before everyone unsubscribes, I'll throw in that I've read and reread this and did the spring test on my TLR 22. With a video camera slowed to 1/16 speed my result was that any combination of red or orange fronts combined with white, yellow, or pink springs showed just about the same result: no major porpoising. The testing was done by pushing the car down at the front/rear balance point and watching which end went up faster. I tried the test by dropping it from a few inches high, but that seemed to be a less reliable way to get a consistent result. There was some VERY minor front or rear bias with certain spring combos, but it took a slo-mo replay to catch it. Not sure if that would translate into feeling a performance difference on the track if it's so minor. Red front with Yellow rear seemed to be the same frequency (kit settings, imagine that!) as was Orange front and Pink rear. If anyone came up with other results, I'd be happy to hear it.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

I got some severe porpoising with certain combos on my car and very small differences with other combos so I'm not real sure what it is about the 22 that allows that. This was without oil right?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Fredswain, sorry for helping sidetrack your thread. Most will agree that there is a ton of very good info here. I know I have learned a lot from your posts and hope you continue with them.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
I got some severe porpoising with certain combos on my car and very small differences with other combos so I'm not real sure what it is about the 22 that allows that. This was without oil right?
Correct, without oil. Just springs and brand new rebuilds of all the shocks before the testing.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mantis, I will try to do what I can to send you a shock.
As you prob know the SCTE is the most popular truck right now and I would bet sets will sell like crazy once done.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Last edited by MantisWorx; 08-04-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Tech Addict

I still think this still a positive thread. I've been following it just to get new ideas and possibly 'unlearn' what I thought was true. I've learned a few things And sometimes I just have to agree to disagree and move on... This IS a forum for discussion, and from what I see you guys are just disagreeing on one point. That point is "How much detail makes a difference you can feel/measure on the track"

But I do agree all the things discussed do make a difference, some of the things are not worth my effort however. For some they might be worthwhile.

If you want to end the debate on this corner balance accuracy and how far you want to go. Define how accurate we need to be using raw numbers. See if it's even possible within the time take and money you want to spend. Once that's defined either do it or move on...

Keep in mind my interest is offroad, some of the theories discussed here, at least to me, are impractical due to the balance of time/cost/fun.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Shocker
When it comes to math and science it's never about faith.
Trevor, I could argue there are exceptions. :P

The SETI group (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) has been looking for alien life for years with no real proof aliens existed in the first place.

http://www.space.com/2451-faith-fact...-religion.html
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

lets just say our peice and move on. this forum has taught me alot and i refer to the original ideas quite often. If you dont like or agree with a way of doing things say it say y argue it once and move on. its really pretty simple.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.