Wiki Posts
Search

Stock motor confusion!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Stock motor confusion!

I have an Epic Binary2 Pro Stock Motor now. I can tell that there is a huge variety of "stock" motors available, but I don't see a great way to compare them.

Does anyone know if a car mag or site did a comparison dyno type test between different "stock" motors?

Reading the marketing jibber jabber makes it nearly impossible to compare motors even against motors from the same company!

I'll be driving offroad on a somewhat tight lined track with a Losi MF2, so I'm interested in more torque than RPM. I will be racing stock only, not modified.

Thanks for the assistance!
Old 10-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If your looking for torque go with a P2K. Will really help on a tight track due its its great torque. The Binary is way to rpm-ish for a tight off-road track. Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

I think the Binary 2 is the best stock motor out there. It's got loads of RPM, that's true, but it also has excellent torque.

Every stock motor has its own unique characteristics, and these can be changed somewhat by individual tuning. One guy's screamer is another guy's boat anchor. If you start with the best and latest technology, it stands to reason you can tune that motor to be the fastest in your vehicle.

Once the motor is tuned, you've got to gear it right. And, in off-road stock, the name of the game is keeping the RPMs up. So, use your dyno to tune it for max torque (it's got RPM to start with), gear it right for the track, and carry speed through the corners.

You'll do fine.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

p2k-most torque
p2k2-good torque and rpm
monster hp-more rpm
binary 2-most rpm

have only ran trinity stock motors so cant help with any others, but this should help get you started!
Old 10-04-2004, 07:11 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I agree with Taz888 on this. The RPMish motors are also harder to gear
Old 10-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

the P2k is arguably the best stock motor on the market. You can gear it for rpm, and still have loads of torque. Personally, that is all I run...
Old 10-04-2004, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'd run them in my truck but I can't find any. And I'm in no mood to search for one. My favorite motor is the MHP. I can tune the living cr@p out if it. Gearing is also a huge part of how the motor will preform. I'll adjust the gearing by a few tenths to get a desired effect.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

YoungChazz-A Binary doesnt have a load of torque.No matter HOW you gear or tune it.Sorry
Guys it's the intial design of the motor that gives it what it has.
Tuning,gearing and so on of course helps but thats like saying take that diesel motor out of that 1 ton Pickup and put in a 4 cyl and reduce the gearing.NO THANKS.

For truck on a short tight track the following motor's are of choice.

Orion Core/Peak Hellfire-Nice motor's that actually will last you longer magnet wise due to better quality but harder to gear.
They are a lil more picky on the gear but when you hit it they are VERY NICE Motor's and handle heat and abuse ALOT better than what trinity has to offer.

Trinity P2k or someone's TUNED version of it.
Trinity P2k2 or someone's tuned version of it.
While a monster is a VERY Nice motor you wouldnt catch this in my truck if the track is tight.Truck/Tight doesnt = MHP.
Every Step trinity has made since the introduction of the rebuidable stock motor has been pretty much for RPM.
When you put HEAVY SPRINGS in a RPM motor and gear it low it does NOTHING but decrease effic and overheat the motor.
Use the motor thats MADE for your application and save the headache.

XYZ is right on his motor list.To complete it out if you see some older motor's it's like this:
Paradox-Torque Monster=Great for Tight tracks in any type of racing.

P2K-Lil less torque than the Paradox with added RPM

Green Machine 3-Nice RPM motor thats kinda fragile to overheating in offroad.Great for 1/12th scale.

Pk2-Probally the most balanced stock motor for Small,Medium sized offroad tracks and small to medium Onroad tracks.

Revenge of the Monster-More RPM than the older stock motor's with a decent amount of torque.Fan Favorite in offroad on BIG tracks and the MOST popular motor in sedan.

Binary 2-Even more RPM than the Monster but a lil more picky on gearing that other Trinity Motor's.Most people prefer the monster over this motor.
Could work well on Free Flowing tracks in Sedan and Offroad BUGGY.Not intended for Truck.
Works great in 1/12th scale.

Guys putting HEAVY Crowbar springs on a RPM Motor to get torque isnt what I call tuning.You loose soo much RPM you should have just got the RIGHT motor for your application.

I hope this info helps and hope all you guys have fun in the hobby.
Les
Old 10-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

I liked P2K2's in truck and Monsters in buggy..but what do I know?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

500....sorry, had to do that!
Old 10-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I went to the local hobby shop after work and ended up with a P2K2. Ironically TexRacer gave me some helpful information on another r/c forum that I posted the same question on! He get's around!

edit: I mean its ironic he is on both message boards and saw my thread, not ironic he posted helpful information LoL.

The big test comes in pre-race practice. That's when we will find out if my soldering skills were good enough to get a running motor!

I did notice that for some reason the P2K2 I got had soldered the brushes directly to the tabs instead of having them screwed down.

Was it okay to solder the motor connection wires on the same tab as the brush wires? I think I accidentally partially tinned a portion of a brush wire with my glop and go solder technique too

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Yea your fine and it's actually BETTER to solder on that side due to being direct in a way.As long as you dont get solder up the shunt of the brush so much that it wont flex or move when the brush starts to wear then your fine.

P.S.I just like to help.People on one board may need see this helpful info as you did.lol.Goodluck with the motor.
Was it for a T4 or a XXXT?

Aaron-What do you know?Enough and when it comes to driving can you share a lil.Dude's hella fast.

Les
Old 10-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Les - Thanks for the props!

Read this next month's issue of Xtreme R/C for a little bit of driving advice from yours truly..and if that doesn't help, hit me up and I'll spill all my wheelin' secrets!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

I have a subscription to Xtreme.....but I don't want to wait a month! so...Screw that....I'll hit you up now! PM me!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:12 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Good choice on the motor. The only thing with the P2k2 and pretty much any trinity motor is that the magnets aren't as good quality as say a Reedy or Orion motor and you will probably need to zap them every so often. But the P2k2 is a really great motor all around.

Trinity is supposed to have a new stocker in the works that may have some Big Jim input on it, hopefully more balanced instead of screaming RPM. Should be out in November is what I hear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.