Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

"How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch"

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Tech Addict

why is this thread labeled Important? over half the thread topics here are about cars that don't even have ball diffs and it has much less views/replies than many of the other threads on the first 2 pages.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

because a gear diff sticky would be of less use?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

dude, don't hate. if you're jealous, why don't you create a "how to properly build and break in a gear differential"

lol j/k
Old 11-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jasonwipf
why is this thread labeled Important? over half the thread topics here are about cars that don't even have ball diffs and it has much less views/replies than many of the other threads on the first 2 pages.
Because many people have issues with ball diffs because they don`t know how to correctly build and/or break in a ball diff .

Gear diffs are simple and a monkey couldn`t screw them up .

Don`t like it , don`t read the thread . Simple as that .
Old 11-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I found this thread very useful. If it was not were it is, I probably would not have found it. I thank the person that did all the work for us and also the mod for placing it where it belongs.

You will never please everyone and you will always have people voice negative comments.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For the most part, its the RTR's, lower end RC's, and Traxxas that do not come with a ball diff of offer one as an upgrade. Go to any RC forum site and you are gonna see a bunch of questions about ball diffs and shock building tips. Thats why nearly all rc forum sites have them posted as a sticky thread. To help the masses. Great thread fellas.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default diff in backwards

Is it just me or didn't he put the diff in backwards. the screw that you tighten should be on the left (the opposite side as the slipper nut.)
Old 11-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fenx42
Is it just me or didn't he put the diff in backwards. the screw that you tighten should be on the left (the opposite side as the slipper nut.)
it should be on the same side as the slipper nut
Old 11-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I didnt see anything but has anyone installed a ball diff on 2wd slash... Are they suspose to be noisy... Sounds like its slippen ball diff is tight and a quarter turn out on the slipper.....never used a ball diff... So any help would help
Old 11-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the excellent video and write-up!

Anyone know what's in "motor cleaner spray"? Is that specifically for RC model motors? I live in Germany (and I'm a noobie ) and haven't come across that stuff...
Old 11-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LD50
Thanks for the excellent video and write-up!

Anyone know what's in "motor cleaner spray"? Is that specifically for RC model motors? I live in Germany (and I'm a noobie ) and haven't come across that stuff...
not sure but its good stuff... it doesnt harm plastic. a friend used standard motor or brake clean spray and it melted some of his plastic...

edit: here's a good discussion on the subject

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...y-cleaner.html
Old 11-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

First off, thank you very much for these videos. I had my first short course race last weekend and had problems with the diff in my SC10. Today I rebuilt it following the instructions in the videos but my diff feels very gritty. The only thing I can think of is that I reused the diff balls for the rebuild. Is it possible that they have gotten damaged and that is what's causing the grittiness? What else could it be? I don't think I tightened the diff too much but would that cause it to feel gritty?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

First off, thank you very much for these videos. I had my first short course race last weekend and had problems with the diff in my SC10. Today I rebuilt it following the instructions in the videos but my diff feels very gritty. The only thing I can think of is that I reused the diff balls for the rebuild. Is it possible that they have gotten damaged and that is what's causing the grittiness? What else could it be? I don't think I tightened the diff too much but would that cause it to feel gritty?
That is a possibility...

The first thing I would do is make sure you have new hardware[such as the balls, rings, and washers]

Then try the process over again, it is possible that the balls have developed flat spots from previous adjustment...

Racer53
I didnt see anything but has anyone installed a ball diff on 2wd slash... Are they suspose to be noisy... Sounds like its slippen ball diff is tight and a quarter turn out on the slipper.....never used a ball diff... So any help would help
Is it screeching, or making crunching, barking noises???

Screeching could be the slipper clutch needing to be tightened more[especially if you have a fast motor]

Crunching or barking is the diff slipping, you'll need to rebuild the diff and make sure it's not slipping in the break in procedure...

Finally, if none of this helps, try taking it to the local hobby shop and see if they can help...Problems with diff's can be hard to diagnose without the seeing the diff in person...

Racer53
Old 11-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer53
That is a possibility...

The first thing I would do is make sure you have new hardware[such as the balls, rings, and washers]

Then try the process over again, it is possible that the balls have developed flat spots from previous adjustment...

Racer53
I should have mentioned that I used the Associated rebuild kit when I did this diff so all of the hardware is new. The diff seemed smooth until I started rotating the tires in opposite directions. Now if feels very gritty with some spots worse than others. You can almost feel it catching in some places.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fenx42
Its just you, your backwards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.