Wiki Posts
Search

tips and upgrades HB D8

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bundyracer
hi everyone i just recieved a 40mm fan for the teckno motor mount just wondering how i change the plug on the end? the wires are a bit thicker on the new fan but i think i can slide them into the old fans plug? heres some pics. i think u can tell which fan is the bigger one lol
thanks matt
press on the gold connector in the black holder, and pull one wire at a time and they will pull out. Then get the other fan and cut the white connector off right where it shows the wire coming out of and then cut it. Then with wire on the new fan the one which had the white connector on it, fray the black and red wires about 1cm. Then get the fan that u pulled the gold connectors out of (the gold connectors should still be attached to the wires) and pull the gold connectors off them really gently. Now once they are off and you have your new fan with the 2 wires frayed 1cm, twist the frayed wires then one at a time push the gold connectors on and when both are on nicely and they dont feel like the wire will just fall out of the gold connector push them into the black plug in the same two spots you had them in before and your finished. Plug the plug into ur rx and enjoy a nice big fan.

The other option is to cut the new fan white plug off and fray the 2 wires about 1cm and then get the old fan and cut the plug off at about no where under half way of the whole length of wire and you will now have a two fans with no plugs on them and the new fan will have two wires that are frayed 1cm. You can now put the old fan in ur spares box and that little white plug, and get ur black plug that has had it wires cut down half way of the original length when it was attached to the old fan. Now you want to fray the two wires 1cm. You will now have a fan with frayed wires and a plug with frayed wires on the end of it. You will now need 2 pieces of heat shrink, slide one over the red or black wire of the fan and all the way to the end to make it easier to work with at the end, and then slide one piece over the red and black wires of the fan and slide it all the way to the end aswell. Now what i like to do is twist the red frayed wire on the plug and the red frayed wire on the new fan around eachother and then soldier the two red wires together and then do the same for the black ones. Now lets say i have the piece of heat shrink on the black wire i slide it down to where i soldiered the black and black wire together and i heat it up and make sure its on good. Now slide the last piece of heat shrink thats around both of the red and black wires to where they both have been soldiered together and heat it up and you now have a fan that is ready to be plugged in

Hope this has helped you.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ok thanks everyone. I managed to just twitch the wires together and put a bit of heatshrink around them. I will solder it later on when I get my hands on a soldering iron. I was going to test how much it drops the temps of the motor but I just remembered we don't have any grease in the cvd's so they will wear. Or will they be alright? I would only be going up and down our road and not hard taking off just getting up to speed? What do you guys think will they be alright just to test the fan?? I will probably pull most of them off to have a look at them. I know the front diff one has a fair bit of slop but it looks like the pin is too small for the hole so I'll have a look at that later? Just wondering will they be alright just to test the fan?? Please let me know so I can maybe test it and I can tell you guys how good the fan actually works? Thanks alot I will wait to hear from you guys.
Matt
Old 04-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

for a test run personally I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Yeah I think I'll try it a bit later. Thanks also I just thought since we have the fan it might hit the losi 8ight-e illuzion body that's on it's way? Does anyone know if it will or will not hit?? Thanks
Matt
Old 04-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
for a test run personally I wouldn't worry about it.
Hey mate you have a PM about the parts u have for the d8
Matt
Old 04-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yeah I think I'll try it a bit later. Thanks also I just thought since we have the fan it might hit the losi 8ight-e illuzion body that's on it's way? Does anyone know if it will or will not hit?? Thanks
Matt
the problem i have found with a lot of fans is just that, they are right up against the body when mounted. i havent done any research but that has to decrease the efficiency of the fan to function.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bigben1165
the problem i have found with a lot of fans is just that, they are right up against the body when mounted. i havent done any research but that has to decrease the efficiency of the fan to function.
Yeah I might be able to cut a slot out or something or even better not using a fan but then my motor temps will be a bit high but I havent tried the car at the local track yet so I shouldnt jump to conclusions
Old 04-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

CAIN you have a pm prices please!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yeah I might be able to cut a slot out or something or even better not using a fan but then my motor temps will be a bit high but I havent tried the car at the local track yet so I shouldnt jump to conclusions
cutting a small vent hole in the body sounds like a good idea! didnt think of that.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

So how is everyone doing with there D8's?

I actually just got mine together. Its been one crazy year.