R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   tips and upgrades HB D8 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/500462-tips-upgrades-hb-d8.html)

bundyracer 04-06-2011 03:16 AM

tips and upgrades HB D8

4 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone i recently bought a HB D8 with a teckno conversion and just wondering if anything needs to be upgraded in it? i have just bought rubber boots for all the cvd's and thats pretty much it. The car is not the hara edition but has some upgrade parts. Heres some pics for reference. Please do reply and any other racing tips or upgrades would be great thanks for your help and time
Matt

bigben1165 04-06-2011 05:58 AM

check out the vorza thread, since an e-D8 is about the same thing. i have a vorza with a V4 conversion also. i can let you know what upgrades i have if you want.

NitroXray80809 04-06-2011 06:17 AM

Hot bodies are really good stock i think, but the shock towers are weak and i would go to the longer rear shocks. Also keep a few spare cvd rebuild kits or buy tekno cvd's as the stock ones tend to wear fast. Other good upgrades is aluminum rear hubs but they aren't really needed.

Cain 04-06-2011 07:33 AM

from what I have read, you can extend the life of the CVDs by using boots and greasing the CVDs inside.

The longer rear shock tower would be a very good upgrade with the longer rear shocks.

The foam dust guard mod for the servo saver may be another good one to do.

bigben1165 04-06-2011 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 8922810)
from what I have read, you can extend the life of the CVDs by using boots and greasing the CVDs inside.

The longer rear shock tower would be a very good upgrade with the longer rear shocks.

The foam dust guard mod for the servo saver may be another good one to do.

what does the longer rear shock tower/shock combo do for the buggy?

Cain 04-06-2011 08:24 AM

I went with it based on the setups available, but I am assuming its better jump and bump handling. Default on the hara

bboard 04-06-2011 11:09 AM

Get rid of that plastic servo horn. The HB aluminum horn wont strip and will line up the steering linkages right

NitroXray80809 04-06-2011 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by bigben1165 (Post 8923089)
what does the longer rear shock tower/shock combo do for the buggy?

The long rear shocks and tower are just a good racer upgrade, the stock shocks are great but for bumpy/rutted tracks it makes handling a whole diffrent story. It doesn't change jumping other then it wont slap as hard but mainly helps the buggy be more stable in rought areas.

Cain 04-06-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by bboard (Post 8923877)
Get rid of that plastic servo horn. The HB aluminum horn wont strip and will line up the steering linkages right

got a part number?

One other thing, and this is from Shark on the D8 Hara conversion thread but going with the M2C pins up front will keep the front end together better than the stock pin setup. You can also run Mugen hingepins in the rear diff area and the mugen outer pins on the a-arm work too. just buy them from a parts reseller on ebay as they are about $15 then for all the mugen pins.

De Racing guards on the chassis are good too as well as there rear a-arm mudguards

NitroXray80809 04-06-2011 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 8923961)
got a part number?

One other thing, and this is from Shark on the D8 Hara conversion thread but going with the M2C pins up front will keep the front end together better than the stock pin setup. You can also run Mugen hingepins in the rear diff area and the mugen outer pins on the a-arm work too. just buy them from a parts reseller on ebay as they are about $15 then for all the mugen pins.

I have never had a hingepin issue with my d8 but for servo horns i use the losi one and bend it up just a little and works perfect. Just get needle nose plyers on one side and bend with another pair. Takes only 30sec if you do it right and won't fail.

bundyracer 04-06-2011 02:14 PM

yeah i am going to put grease in the boots to hopefully extend the life of my cvd's. seems like heaps of people like the longer rear shock tower and the longer rear shocks i might have to have a look at them.
thanks for all the replies
Braden

bundyracer 04-06-2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 8923961)
got a part number?

De Racing guards on the chassis are good too as well as there rear a-arm mudguards

Well I have the De chassis skids coming also the DE racing mudguards. they should be here soon from amain
matt

NitroXray80809 04-06-2011 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by bundyracer (Post 8924685)
Well I have the De chassis skids coming also the DE racing mudguards. they should be here soon from amain
matt

The skids for rear are terrible with stock shocks it causes like 2 or 3mm less travel which is bad since the d8 only has so much travel as is. It wont hurt to scratch the chassis a little lol. Im honest though if ur ganna race dont use the skids (in rear) unless you have long shocks because it makes te car even more unstable.

bundyracer 04-07-2011 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 (Post 8924910)
The skids for rear are terrible with stock shocks it causes like 2 or 3mm less travel which is bad since the d8 only has so much travel as is. It wont hurt to scratch the chassis a little lol. Im honest though if ur ganna race dont use the skids (in rear) unless you have long shocks because it makes te car even more unstable.

Yeah well we will give them a try and see how they go. I dont really want to scratch up my nice tekno chassis lol. but it happens especially when racing:lol:

B.A. Racer 04-07-2011 06:41 AM

its really not much but shock covers are nice...to me they save me a huge hassle on cleaning up the shocks and keeps the shocks looking very nice:nod: