Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

does acetone hurt the tire / wheel /insert

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I boil, rims come out clean and CA debonder takes the glue off the tires if I'm saving those.
I was saving the rim on this one but they come off the same cut or not.

http://youtu.be/L6As0M9AcoQ
Old 11-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Tech Rookie

On YouTube a poster by the name of squirrel a sponsored pro-line driver posted a how to remove tires from rims. Either by boiling or baking.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=RC10Nick;12758355]you mustn't live with anybody else. baking tires off fumes the whole place up.]

Lets both do our methods in the kitchen and see who makes more fumes lol. After baking the glue chips right off extremely easily. I re-use the foams with no issues but to each his own.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I just cut down the middle of the tire once its no good, take the foam out, and then soak the tire and rim in acetone for an hour. No issues for me there. I dont really know why people want to take tires off of rims just to remount the tires.. I only take tires off of rims to reuse the rims, not the tires.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lodhammerdin
I just cut down the middle of the tire once its no good, take the foam out, and then soak the tire and rim in acetone for an hour. No issues for me there. I dont really know why people want to take tires off of rims just to remount the tires.. I only take tires off of rims to reuse the rims, not the tires.
Same here but I do re use the foams , used foams usually feel better on my 1/8 anyway.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Removing tires from wheels

Depending on where you drive,foams wear out quicker than the tires them self...resulting in the need for tire removal without damaging the tires.The method that I feel works really well,but takes a little more time than what you guys have been talking about in this forum,is floating your tires in acetone,not actually soaking them...bucket,acetone in the bottom,shelf for tires to sit on,and a lid to keep fumes inside

The process takes anywhere between 24 and 48 hours depending on how much acetone is in the bucket...so if your not in a hurry and are looking for an easy way to remove tires from wheels,try this,you might like it
Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

What surface are guys running on that a tire will outlast a closed cell foam?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
What surface are guys running on that a tire will outlast a closed cell foam?
+1, that shouldn't happen
Old 11-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fq06
I boil, rims come out clean and CA debonder takes the glue off the tires if I'm saving those.
I was saving the rim on this one but they come off the same cut or not.

http://youtu.be/L6As0M9AcoQ
It really pulls all the glue off the wheel? That is the worst part about baking...

Hmmm...
Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BillyT.
It really pulls all the glue off the wheel? That is the worst part about baking...

Hmmm...
I call BS on it pulling all the glue off the rim, you can see tire "bits' left on the rim in the video.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

I'm a fan of Acetone when just looking to get a dead tire off a rim. But NO CA I've ever used has come off in Acetone in an hour

I don't want to say bad glue job or bad CA but I don't know how you could get them off that fast with Acetone..?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

I've had foams wear out before the tires. I acetoned the tires, sealed in an old paint can with the tires elevated out of the solution with shot glasses for about 48 hours. Fumes dissolved the glue and tires came off clean. New foam, remounted and the tires hooked.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Naters
I've had foams wear out before the tires. I acetoned the tires, sealed in an old paint can with the tires elevated out of the solution with shot glasses for about 48 hours. Fumes dissolved the glue and tires came off clean. New foam, remounted and the tires hooked.
acetone , even its fumes dries out the oil
in the rubber and ruins the tire

Just skin the tire off one side of the rim with a X-knife .

Easy to do and only takes a few minutes..
Old 11-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
I call BS on it pulling all the glue off the rim, you can see tire "bits' left on the rim in the video.
Actually, it does. I turned the rim to show the one piece of CA that was hanging on I guess because a little bit if the foam got CA on it. That popped right off with the twist of an exact blade.

There is not much glue left if any on the tire on the outside, some left on the inside of an SCT tire. I will post a short video of the tire after soaking in debonder for a little while. Touch less and zero CA with a clay tire left in perfect shape.

Acetone prices have gone up quite a bit, water is free and debonder is not that much $.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fq06
Actually, it does. I turned the rim to show the one piece of CA that was hanging on I guess because a little bit if the foam got CA on it. That popped right off with the twist of an exact blade.

There is not much glue left if any on the tire on the outside, some left on the inside of an SCT tire. I will post a short video of the tire after soaking in debonder for a little while. Touch less and zero CA with a clay tire left in perfect shape.

Acetone prices have gone up quite a bit, water is free and debonder is not that much $.
Well see then it didn't ALL come off No need for a vid unless you want to, I believe you.

Maybe if a guy is doing one or two stets of rims boiling may be better/faster. Don't know never tried it as it seems like more work to me.

Only thing I want to save is the rim and CC foams so cut the tires off and put 10-15 sets of rims in a bucket at a time. Day or two later I pull the mout and wipe an CA "slime" off. (and always wipe with motor spray before remounting tires!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.