Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by larlev
He prob hasn't driven outdoors in 2 yrs.
That and with a 2650KV he is limited on a big track with just a 21T pinion. A 23T would likely provide enough top end to do some serious damage on a larger track....that or step down to a 17T and run 3s battery.

On the smallish tracks, it is pretty hard to keep up with an 1/8th scale motor coming out of the corners if you can keep it hooked...just gobs of torque!!!

Chris is just fast....
Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J. Schwarz
That and with a 2650KV he is limited on a big track with just a 21T pinion. A 23T would likely provide enough top end to do some serious damage on a larger track....that or step down to a 17T and run 3s battery.

On the smallish tracks, it is pretty hard to keep up with an 1/8th scale motor coming out of the corners if you can keep it hooked...just gobs of torque!!!

Chris is just fast....
He mentioned that the t8 2650 on 21t/no timing was still plenty fast on the large outdoor track. Going from indoor lighting to out door dark spots is hard to do. He did tq though and had a big lead in the main. Then started catching pipe when he would lose it in the dark spots.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jim R
Well, I went out to A-Main and i was a day late and a dollar short. Anyone know where I might find a SCTE? I'd like to have one for a big race next weekend.
If you can't find one I have a extra one that is slightly used with MMP/3800 combo. PM me.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cackswayn
He mentioned that the t8 2650 on 21t/no timing was still plenty fast on the large outdoor track. Going from indoor lighting to out door dark spots is hard to do. He did tq though and had a big lead in the main. Then started catching pipe when he would lose it in the dark spots.
Ya, give him a few more times out and he will once again be smoking the field. Like J said...he's just fast period.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default night driving advice

Here's a vid of the new layout at Revs. Fun layout, but can be tough on SC trucks. New layouts are always a little tough at first.

I was having issues, especially under the lights, on the backside triple triple. I was taking it as a double single triple (which is a good line), but there were times from the driver stand where I just couldn't line it up or I would lose orientation of the truck for a second and it would cost me in turns or setting up for jumps (you'll spot at times where my cornering is slow, or obviously the second time I hit the triple I was way off line).

Those of you that run on larger tracks where sight can be an issue, especially at night under lights, other than more practice, is there anything you do to make it easier to stay consistent?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I can't watch youtube on this computer but a bright body always helps to see your car better at night. White or yellow bodies for night racing I found are best. Something bright. After that it is just practice. Not much can be done to help with loosing your car in blind spots. I try and position myself on the drivers stand to be closest to the hardest spots on the track. If there is a tricky triple or whoop section or something that is a little harder the the rest of the track try and get the best angle on the drivers stand for that section to maximize your view. In the end, pratice will help you learn how to control your car during that black out period to be more consistant. Cut the track and do that section over and over a couple times if you can is another trick just so you get that hard part down.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Might be dumb question.....Is it legal to have a bright LED right on the roof? Just a thought

Or maybe some reflective stickering on roof...I know I'm blind as a bat at night as it is.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Salad....can you imagine the force that is being generated on those blades?

Any of you guys in a HOT climate? Here in Texas it is hot already, real hot....my trusty 1415 w/MMP is temping 165-170 running just a few minutes. Just fried my daughters little Titan 550 motor in her bandit after a 3 minute play session. Temped the street and it was 130.

Just how effective is cutting body holes along bottom of window and a few in back? Is it normal to gear down when your in a hot climate?
I feel your pain on the heat issues. Not the weather. I was getting too hot with a 20t so I went down to an 18 and I was still getting a lil too hot on 3s. I ended up cutting more holes in my 810 cover and dropped down to a 16t. I'm trying it today after work.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 218 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
7075 chassis when its release.
do you have an idea of what the new chassis will cost?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SEF
Here's a vid of the new layout at Revs. Fun layout, but can be tough on SC trucks. New layouts are always a little tough at first.

I was having issues, especially under the lights, on the backside triple triple. I was taking it as a double single triple (which is a good line), but there were times from the driver stand where I just couldn't line it up or I would lose orientation of the truck for a second and it would cost me in turns or setting up for jumps (you'll spot at times where my cornering is slow, or obviously the second time I hit the triple I was way off line).

Those of you that run on larger tracks where sight can be an issue, especially at night under lights, other than more practice, is there anything you do to make it easier to stay consistent?
There's 3 things you could try, that I have found helps me out quite a bit at night.

1. Super bright body. Flo Yellow is the very best hands down.

2. Have a black straight stripe on the top of the truck from the hood all the way back. Having a straight orientation line lets you pick up subtle changes in direction better.

3. Stand on a bucket or stool. Elevation always helps your visability. May not be a big advantage at your particular track, but tracks with driver stands on the verge of being too low....it REALLY helps. And, of course, when visability is at it's worst, like at night, is when it helps the most. It's amazing to me how much an extra 2 feet can make
Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Might be dumb question.....Is it legal to have a bright LED right on the roof? Just a thought

Or maybe some reflective stickering on roof...I know I'm blind as a bat at night as it is.
No it is not , and it is very distracting to the other drivers .
Old 06-07-2011, 10:03 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Casper
I can't watch youtube on this computer but a bright body always helps to see your car better at night. White or yellow bodies for night racing I found are best. Something bright. After that it is just practice. Not much can be done to help with loosing your car in blind spots. I try and position myself on the drivers stand to be closest to the hardest spots on the track. If there is a tricky triple or whoop section or something that is a little harder the the rest of the track try and get the best angle on the drivers stand for that section to maximize your view. In the end, pratice will help you learn how to control your car during that black out period to be more consistant. Cut the track and do that section over and over a couple times if you can is another trick just so you get that hard part down.
I've since switched my paint scheme to have a lot of fluorescent yellow. Definitely helps. Looks like I just need to practice until I get it down. On this track it is very difficult to stay on line sice ruts are constantly forming and traction can change significantly. Having a good spot on the drivers stand is key. It's the worst mind game I play on myself when I don't get on the stand early enough for a race to get the spot I want.

I've seen plenty of SC races where they have headlights of flood lights for scale realism. May not be a bad idea at night since the lights at Revs aren't the brightest.

Originally Posted by Ridley
There's 3 things you could try, that I have found helps me out quite a bit at night.

1. Super bright body. Flo Yellow is the very best hands down.

2. Have a black straight stripe on the top of the truck from the hood all the way back. Having a straight orientation line lets you pick up subtle changes in direction better.

3. Stand on a bucket or stool. Elevation always helps your visability. May not be a big advantage at your particular track, but tracks with driver stands on the verge of being too low....it REALLY helps. And, of course, when visability is at it's worst, like at night, is when it helps the most. It's amazing to me how much an extra 2 feet can make
I'll have to try the straight line tip. Obviously at this track, the driver's stand is plenty high, but yes for other tracks, stools are used more often.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kerby
Don't have time to compile data.....same indoor track, same layout, same motor and ESC set-up.....175degrees with grease 140's when I changed to 5-5-3. As far as handling, the grease pushed like crazy and didn't rotate well through the corners. The grease is definately thicker than my current set-up of 5-5-3. Maybe I'm one of the lucky souls that received a better truck...lol...I switched out my pins after 3 packs....40-50 packs on it before I did diff rebuild and everything looks perfect....no wear on my blocks, gears like new and it's smooth as butter.
Where or what kind of track are you running? I'm running at OCRC which is a high bite indoor clay track. My experience with the grease out of the box, was that it pushed on fast on-power turns, but would rotate like a top in off-power turns. It was kind of difficult to get used to at first and I found it looping out at the end of fast parts of the track where you break such as at the end of the straight. But was fantastic on tight turns where you rotate into them and power out of them. It did take a while to get used to and it also felt a little inconsistent. But it seems a bit more consistent now that it's gotten broken in and heat cycled many times over, I've gotten really used to it and like it a lot. I still haven't run oils yet and have been running the grease since I got the car the first week it came out, so I don't have anything to compare it to other than my 1/8th scale car. I do like it though as of now. Once more parts become available, I'm going to build new diffs with either 5-5-3, 5-5-2 or 3-3-2 and keep the old ones filled with the grease, so I can go back and forth and see what I like the best. I know Ryan's working on trying to get the grease packaged to make it available to those who do like the feel of the grease better than oils.

Originally Posted by SEF

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
I have a tough time seeing my car and it's orientation on large tracks, so I paint all my bodies with Flourescent Yellow on the front of the car and a different color on the rear (mine being blue), so I can tell which orientation it is facing. It's particularly helpful on corners in the far reaches or dark spots where you switch directions and have a likelyhood of spinning out. Back when I ran onroad, I'd also ran LED headlights up front and red LED tail-lights to be able to see the orientation (I was running at Rev and as you know it's a huge track with lots of dark spots). On another note, the new layout at Rev looks SUPER FUN!! I haven't been there since I ran onroad way back when they ran onroad there. I go to OCRC and my car's are always nice and clean afterwards, but this layout makes it look like it might be worth having to break it apart and clean it afterwards lol Maybe I'll have to take a drive out just to check it out sometime soon.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
No it is not , and it is very distracting to the other drivers .
I've never heard of any track not allowing a person run due to LED's or reflective stickering. I'm not sure what ROAR's stance on it is, but I doubt unless you're running at Tebo, Cavalieri and Mayfield's level would any track not allow it. Even at the big races, in the sportsman classes I'm sure they'll overlook it. Now as far as it being distracting to other drivers...I'm not that good of a driver, I'll take any advantage I can get...hmmm...maybe I should start running some LED's
Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
On another note, the new layout at Rev looks SUPER FUN!! I haven't been there since I ran onroad way back when they ran onroad there. I go to OCRC and my car's are always nice and clean afterwards, but this layout makes it look like it might be worth having to break it apart and clean it afterwards lol Maybe I'll have to take a drive out just to check it out sometime soon.
4x4 SC is starting to grow a bunch at Revs. It's nice to push these things to the limits at large tracks like this. Sure, my truck is dirtier running here than say a nice indoor clay track like WCRC or OCRC, but a little Simple Green, WD-40, and the air compressor makes the truck shine like new in just a few minutes. You should try out the track, it's a blast, and the nitro buggy guys are always wondering how these SC trucks are going so fast these days.

And man, onroad at Revs, that was way back in the day before I even moved to LA...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.