Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
Thanks for the thread bump man! I can't wait till next season. It's always nice when you get a brand new kit, got that kind of "new car smell" to it. Scte is still a great truck despite it's flaws. I have had many great moments with it. Now that i think about it, the scte was my very first race truck.
First race truck? That explains a lot. Why you are always talking bad about the scte. I started racing in the late 80's and it was more of who could actually finish a race let alone win one. So I guess as time has progressed I have just learned to be thankful for a rc truck that doesn't break every race. I'm sure some people remember when the traxxas 4x4 came out and then became obsolete when the jammin scrt came out. Then the scte came out and then the scrt become obsolete . I think the reason being is because of the big difference in engineering. I don't think there is a very big difference between the losi and Tekno but we will see.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm in the same boat as Pygmy, MIP's shipping to the UK is a bit much
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by huzzler
First race truck? That explains a lot. Why you are always talking bad about the scte. I started racing in the late 80's and it was more of who could actually finish a race let alone win one. So I guess as time has progressed I have just learned to be thankful for a rc truck that doesn't break every race. I'm sure some people remember when the traxxas 4x4 came out and then became obsolete when the jammin scrt came out. Then the scte came out and then the scrt become obsolete . I think the reason being is because of the big difference in engineering. I don't think there is a very big difference between the losi and Tekno but we will see.
I can say at Tekno's home track, the last bigger race they had, there were 4 tekno trucks, 1 trying to run blocker, 3 losi's finished up front...lol. But this is nothing against their truck, it is new, they are probably still figuring it out. And the tekno 8th scale has its given issues as will the short course, as does the losi...they all do, lol. As long as you are happy and get to keep running, thats what matter most.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by huzzler
First race truck, not first truck at all. I have had at least 5-6 other vehicles i have owned. I have raced nitro truggy as well. Why do i get flamed for saying i want to try another brand next season. Nowhere in that post that you quoted me on , did i mention ANYTHING about the tekno truck. Nice that you did that to me, instead of the guy talking about the mugen shortcourse. I just think if you get the buggy that shares 80% of the parts with the shortcourse truck, why would you go with another brand of sc. As i have stated before, i'm not buying anything until i see what the other brands have to offer.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Matt,
Thanks for the explaining that. I will have to put that on my Christmas list HA HA

Originally Posted by s14det
Sorry to have to ask this, but why couldn't you just not put a lower/higher pinion to get the same result. I have never understood gearing in the way of changing out spur gears instead of just changing the pinion size.

Changing a spur gives you a more refined increment of change. So for instance:

Going from same spur to different pinion
40 / 14 = 2.857
40/ 13 = 3.077
2.857/3.077 = .9327 .... 1 - .9327 = 6.7% Differential

Now going from the same pinion to a different spur
40/14 = 2.857
41/14 = 2.928
2.857/2.928 = .9757 .... 1 - .9757 = 2.4% Differential

(check gear chart below as well)

As you can see it does make a difference just in a smaller amount than a pinion would. Have you ever wanted a little more or less but haven't been able to accomplish that with pinions? Basically you can look at the spurs as splitting a pinion in half like going from a 13 to a 13.5 pinion if one existed.

Hope this helps clerify a little more of what the spurs accomplish

The noise reduction is only an added benefit of the spur but not its soul function. The new spurs are a tuning function not just a noise reducer.

They are more than proven by winning the Jconcepts nats series finals, Jconcepts Clash, OCRC Surf City Classic, and Shortcourse showdown finals. The spurs have been run the whole time with many comments that the truck is unbelievably quick and violently fast when it hits the track.

Try them out you wont regret it.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I was just rebuilding my rear differential in my SCTe. After the build the spider gears (not ring and pinion) feel tight/notchy. I used a new diff case with glued inserts but reused the internals. Is this normal?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Default Rear diff noise

I have clicking noise coming from the rear on hard braking, and as many have suggested, one of the rear pinion bearing had a bit of play in it so I have swapped in a new one. The noise however didn't go away, it still makes a loud click on braking. The ring and pinion gears show no abnormal wear. Any suggestion for next step (shimming)?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dtr
I have clicking noise coming from the rear on hard braking, and as many have suggested, one of the rear pinion bearing had a bit of play in it so I have swapped in a new one. The noise however didn't go away, it still makes a loud click on braking. The ring and pinion gears show no abnormal wear. Any suggestion for next step (shimming)?
Are you sure the noise was coming from the rear? Did you check the pinion bearings?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I doubt a quieter one is more efficient to a significant extent. Delrin is a bit softer that causes the quietness I believe and a little give as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dtr
I had the same problem. Ring gear showed some wear so I replaced it and bearings. Still clicked. Finally a new case and re shim solved it.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dtr
Your break could be set too high, turn it down some , will slso reduce motor heat, worked for me
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Casper
Are you sure the noise was coming from the rear? Did you check the pinion bearings?
Now that you ask, I'm not sure, haven't checked it up close. Just in a similar case my 8ight rear diff had to be reshimmed and it solved the problem. I have checked the rear pinion bearings and changed one of them.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY
Your break could be set too high, turn it down some , will slso reduce motor heat, worked for me
It is turned down to 40 or 50%, i set it at lowest that would slow me down enough at the end of the straights.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thefatkid
I was just rebuilding my rear differential in my SCTe. After the build the spider gears (not ring and pinion) feel tight/notchy. I used a new diff case with glued inserts but reused the internals. Is this normal?
It is possible that when gluing them, you didnt get the inserts seated all of the way. It is more likley that the little squares are not put in or seated all of the way. I always have to push those in when cases are new to fully seat the gears.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
I doubt a quieter one is more efficient to a significant extent. Delrin is a bit softer that causes the quietness I believe and a little give as well.
The quietness comes from the spurs being machined and not molded. You get more of well refined spur when they are cut. Also the material is not delrin but nylon.

The spurs give you a variety of gear ratios contrary to what you already have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.