Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TOYS ARE ME
The 24.5 came from the truck manual that came with the truck.

Casper, The same manual states 17t pinion for a 5.5t motor. Do you agree or do you have a better number that works the best with this motor?

Thanks for your help
That is way too low. Not sure why that is in there?

Our testing came up with those numbers running non boosted/timing ESC settings. We are finding some of the tekin motors are running very hot. Others work great at the "losi recommended" gearing. So I think it depends on the motor and ESC settings. I will say this though if I would to put a 5.5 in my truck today I would us a 17T pinion. I have a 16 on my 4.5 right now.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The 24.5 came from the truck manual that came with the truck.

Casper, The same manual states 17t pinion for a 5.5t motor. Do you agree or do you have a better number that works the best with this motor?

Thanks for your help
The manual was printed wrong, was supposed to be 29.5. As for the gearing, a lot of that depends on motor/esc. I would start at 15 and go up from there.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Finally got my Elite kit installed. I didn't realize the stock drive shaft for the SCTE was too long, so I had to get a Ten-T drive shaft.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SEF
The rear is stock geometry. I've had no problems with getting full travel or setting droop for the rear, since the stock rear shocks are significantly longer.

The front SNR towers have the stock mounting holes and also holes which are about 9mm above the stock holes. This allowed me to set droop, ride height, get full travel, and use stiffer springs.

PM snrscion if you have more specific questions about the his towers.
Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
The manual was printed wrong, was supposed to be 29.5. As for the gearing, a lot of that depends on motor/esc. I would start at 15 and go up from there.
I've landed at 15 running the RX8 and SC4 5.5T on a small, indoor, high grip track. Started at 17 and have worked my way down. Seems like whether I run 5 min quals or up to 10 min I am coming off at 95-100 degrees on the ESC and 160-175 on the motor running the 15 tooth pinion. Running a 55c 6100 mah 2s pack. Check your temps often in the beginning no matter where you start to be safe. Have fun!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Help, cannot get my ride height in rear to 31mm-shock spings (black)spring topped out at top. Moved batt back. Still way off. Rear cabon fiber shock tower. Stock set up states 24.5 No way in _____ could I ever come close to that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Running a Novack ballistic 550 5.5t motor and a 17t pinion. Runs fine but is this the best setup for 2s pack?
I have found that running the front springs in the rear works great for me.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SEF
Had a good weekend in short course taking the TQ and win at race 2 of the TLR series at Revelation Raceway (large 1/8 scale track with 200 ft straight).

They allow 3s and any motor, so I was using a 2650 motor and a Thunder Power 3800mah 50C battery and I made a 10 minute main and motor came off at 130 with batteries and esc barely warm.

The part that made driving easier was mounting some big bore shocks to my SCTE. I mounted some Hot Bodies shocks which are more durable than stock, have more spring options, and the damping feels much better. Great for bumpy tracks with large jumps.

The problem with mounting large 1/8 scale shocks is that you don't get full travel up front. The shock bottoms out before the chassis does.

So I had Steve over at SNR graphite http://www.snrgraphite.com/ make some custom towers for me. These towers have raised front shock mounting holes. If you don't know, SNR makes the best towers for the Jammin (just search the Jammin thread). The towers I have are one piece towers and mounts which use the Jammin body mounts. Steve also makes towers that can use the stock body mount, and his towers also have the stock shock mounts if you want to use the stock shocks.

Nope, not sponsored, SNR just makes really nice stuff. PM snrscion for more info.

I'll try to post up some better pics since the quality of these aren't so great.

And yes, those are both the long and short ackerman bars in carbon.
I qualified third and came in second for the main but i think i would have done alot better if my shock ends would have not pulled off during the qualifiers but it was my fault I didnt have my droop screws set properly. LOL SEF and i took off from the pack in our new SCTE trucks wish we got that one on video even with the diff pin issue this truck DOMINATES!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default steering bellcrank

Originally Posted by hacker07
ryan, does SCTE share the same steering bellcrank as 8ight? thanks in advance!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm still at a loss as to why everyone is putting 1/8 scale shocks on this car. The stock shocks seem awfully good. I know all of us who had jammins think shock upgrades are a must since those were so undersized, but I think I'm going to stick with the stockers on this rig. It's already heavy enough, no need to add bigger hardware and especially the weight of extra oil in those big shocks will add to the weight of the truck.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Owl
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by chiro972
I'm still at a loss as to why everyone is putting 1/8 scale shocks on this car. The stock shocks seem awfully good. I know all of us who had jammins think shock upgrades are a must since those were so undersized, but I think I'm going to stick with the stockers on this rig. It's already heavy enough, no need to add bigger hardware and especially the weight of extra oil in those big shocks will add to the weight of the truck.
I also think they are fine, but I also was one of the few to leave my Jammin stock.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiro972
It`s just R/C nature to Upgrade or play R/C engineer or Crew Chief!!
The stock shocks work well ,I have not even touched mine and the truck handles perfect box stock fluid,springs ETC.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b121774
That's funny I just got off the phone with them as well and the guy had no idea about this. He told me June
There is no way Losi is gonna let this sit till June,they will lose many people that have not yet gotten this truck but want to.I hope that they just source them locally instead of some overseas deal!Any body including Losi can contact a screw machine shop to have these made just about anywhere,even you! The quantity they are looking at will bring the cost down to maybe a dollar a set, but for a single set or three probably a lot more!!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
I ordered the 2 pack already, just looking for something a little more durable. The Tekin fan seems kind of fragile. I even had it lose blades in an onroad 1/8th scale GT. :\
Wow!! Really??? I'll need to check my GT8 and Losi 8 Buggy then. Thanks for the info. So what did you go with that will connect with no problem. I may use that as a replacement when the time comes.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Guys if runtime is an issue take a serious look at your total package. The esc, motor and battery all play a part here.

If the motor is running hot check your drivetrain for free'ness and make sure your gear mesh isn't too tight.

While not all batteries are created equaly just because you're is a "6000mah" for example doesn't mean you're getting it all. Pay attention to how much mah your charger is putting back into the battery.

Also if you're using the Rx8 esc add some current limiter. Try 80 to start. I doubt you'll notice it at all speed wise but your motor temps will drop and your runtime will go up.
Thanks good info!!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
He's right!! How's your speed on a 12T, not that you really need speed on a Short Course but my Slash 4X4 did kind of spoil me in regards to speed with this same setup.

I'm running a 14T/40 with my Tekin SC4x 4.5T / RX8. I'm getting about 7-8 minutes and I'm using a 6500 mAh 2S Lipo. I've decided to order a 5.5T.
Strange... I'm running 15T/40, RX8, SC4x 4.5T, with a Dynamite 6000 I was able to finish a 10min Main, no problem. The motor is running a little hot (175), like some people here. I plan to try a heatsink next time I'm at the track to help with temps. The RX8 and the battery are just warm to the touch. Also might try gearing up to 16T - like someone here suggested, this might mean the motor is undergeared.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.