Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by porkchop
the only time i have see anything like that happen is wires crossed or the wrong charger settings.
I am thinkin that this all was due to improper charger settings... My charger doesn't even ask for a charging amperage, I just put in the size in mah and hit go the charger does all the calculations... Only with NiMH packs would I ever screw around with amperages. Then to hear of a battery puff and explode right out of the box would make me wander what is going on? I have never had that happen and only had a couple packs puff on me and I have gone through probably 30 or 40 packs since the switch over from NiMH.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thecman26
I am thinkin that this all was due to improper charger settings... My charger doesn't even ask for a charging amperage, I just put in the size in mah and hit go the charger does all the calculations... Only with NiMH packs would I ever screw around with amperages. Then to hear of a battery puff and explode right out of the box would make me wander what is going on? I have never had that happen and only had a couple packs puff on me and I have gone through probably 30 or 40 packs since the switch over from NiMH.

What type of Charger do you use? Because most of the newer chargers ive seen you plug the battery in set it to 2s or 3s w.e cell count it is then adjust the Amps to 1c or more if possible. I know my venom charger thats how it works I always charge at 5amp's highest setting it will charge. Also most chargers wont charge a Lipo in any other mode they have fail safes. Same with if wires are crossed it auto detects the issue and wont charge. I run the venom Pro charger.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I don't own any of the new Orion packs, but it seems like the people having problems have them pretty early, ie in the first dozen charges. This used to be a fairly common occurance as distributors were bringing in new cells. Every once in a while a manufacturer will have a bad batch. This is what the warranty is supposed to cover. Just because you have never seen it doesn't mean they are doing something wrong. You're a little too quick to jump to Orion's defence IMO.

If Orion had actually backed up their warranty instead of blowing them off they wouldn't be complaining. To me the fact that Joe has to come in here to find out what is going on is a BAD sign. He should know that people have been calling customer service with reports of failures.

the only time i have see anything like that happen is wires crossed or the wrong charger settings.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Like I said my charger might have kicked to Nickel. I'm not calling Orion and saying its their fault or asking for a new battery. I was just commenting on what happened. I have a new charger coming in the mail as we speak. It was just sad to see all that money go up in smoke.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by thecman26
Every charger is different and I wouldn't want a charger that didn't let you change the amps on it. All the people pushing 10amps into their battery's to charge them in 30min are just ruining the life of their battery.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I really hate the "it's never happened to me, so the problem must be you and not the product" mentallity. So ignorant.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

May or may not have been discussed on here... but has anyone used the larger associated shocks on the scte with any success??? seems like the would work... I would have just searched the forum but there are wayyyy to many pages! Thanks for any input... I was thinking of swapping shocks and giving it a try. I'm running the TLR chassis and CF shock towers...
Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAHAN
May or may not have been discussed on here... but has anyone used the larger associated shocks on the scte with any success??? seems like the would work... I would have just searched the forum but there are wayyyy to many pages! Thanks for any input... I was thinking of swapping shocks and giving it a try. I'm running the TLR chassis and CF shock towers...
haven't heard of it. maybe the reason is because i read about those shocks leaking all the time. there's nothing wrong with the stock SCTE shocks, in fact they're quite good.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I run with Joe and his team drivers at the track, and he never said that just because it has never happened to him or his team It can never happen. He just stated that he has not seen this problem personaly and then asked to hear the problems with the pack. Yea orion dont have the greatest customer service, but the guy already said he may have charged it on a nimh setting which could have popped the pack. Sounds like to me that Joe wants to hear our experances with the packs to relay that info to Orion and maybe help the guy out. So why beat the guy up over that????
Old 12-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

this is why I recommend people to buy the best charger all the time. We invested so much into lipo, most of us own 4-5 lipo or more. Let say $100 a pack that is at least 4 5 hundreds dollar investment . A good charger will make lipo last longer and has many fail safe built in.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MAHAN
If you are changing the shock , why not get the 1/8 shock from Losi buggy
Old 12-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omenwolf
I run with Joe and his team drivers at the track, and he never said that just because it has never happened to him or his team It can never happen. He just stated that he has not seen this problem personaly and then asked to hear the problems with the pack. Yea orion dont have the greatest customer service, but the guy already said he may have charged it on a nimh setting which could have popped the pack. Sounds like to me that Joe wants to hear our experances with the packs to relay that info to Orion and maybe help the guy out. So why beat the guy up over that????
that's not at all whom I was referring to.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

I asked him if he wanted the pack but he never answered me. I wish I could have seen the full potential of this pack. The pack charged through the whole cycle without getting hot or anything. I checked it every 10 minutes or so. I went and took a shower and when I came back it was puffed. The battery was in my truck so I loosened the straps and it blew so I grabbed a oven mitt and threw it out the back door. The Dynamite Speedpack I bought at the track yesterday has been through 3 cycles on the same charger with no problems. I bought a Proteck Prodigy 610 and a power pack last night.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

My post was in response to porkchop, not Joe himself.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

wow, you guys are making me nervous with all of these exploding pack stories. i have a racer's edge, venom pro and some other charger and all of them have similar software loaded where it asks to confirm if its a 2S battery, etc.

i was actually considering getting rid of all 3 and just getting the orion 4 port ac charger, but now i'm having second thoughts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.