Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chucko
Thanks for your help. also what springs are you using ?Thanks larlev

Indoor...Silver(f), Green(r). Outdoor....Red(f), Red(r)

Forgot to add....shocks are built with zero rebound on indoor setup

Last edited by larlev; 07-29-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brushless420
I have to give you guys at Losi mad props. With all the crap you receive here and still provide valuable info and outstanding product support. I received 2 sets of diff pins rather quickly after filling out the online request form some time ago. Then today unexpectedly received two sets of diff rebuild kits via UPS. Losi has the best customer support bar none. Ive been in the hobby for 25+ years and can undoubtably say Losi always takes care of its customers. I've owned every conceivable RC from 1/5th scale to 24th scale from a variety of companys and have never received better service and support. Additionally considering Losi makes some of the best products in the industry you have to hand it to them. Thanks guys. Have a great weekend! I know I will while running my SCTE, 8ight, and E LST XXL.

I agree.. Great service
Great truck and wonderful support here !!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

One of the Tekin team drivers I've talked to is using Green front and Red rear with the stock shocks.

Thanks for your help. also what springs are you using ?Thanks larlev

Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Puffing of lipos

Originally Posted by larlev
The point he was making was it happens to ALL c ratings....only buying a 40c or higher lipo is not needed. I know guys that also run 25c batteries all day long...and they do run hard every week.

Maybe you were unlucky, had a bad one, or both.
I'm kinda new to the lipo lingo, but what is happening to the lipo when it puffs up? Is it still safe to use it?
Old 07-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nEoNidas
I'm kinda new to the lipo lingo, but what is happening to the lipo when it puffs up? Is it still safe to use it?
Well, techincally I am saying no, lol. But I guess it would depend on how puffed it is. If the case comes apart on a hard case lipo, you really shouldnt use it anymore. If it swells a little, that is pretty normal for those running in the desert.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Brushless420
I have to give you guys at Losi mad props. With all the crap you receive here and still provide valuable info and outstanding product support. I received 2 sets of diff pins rather quickly after filling out the online request form some time ago. Then today unexpectedly received two sets of diff rebuild kits via UPS. Losi has the best customer support bar none. Ive been in the hobby for 25+ years and can undoubtably say Losi always takes care of its customers. I've owned every conceivable RC from 1/5th scale to 24th scale from a variety of companys and have never received better service and support. Additionally considering Losi makes some of the best products in the industry you have to hand it to them. Thanks guys. Have a great weekend! I know I will while running my SCTE, 8ight, and E LST XXL.
I agree.. Great service
Great truck and wonderful support here !!!!!!!!

Yeah but be careful what you say b/c around here some pencil pushing internet hobbits may not take a likeing to that on this thread by saying that your just kissing the factory guys asses and there is no need to do that!!Maybe they just want attention and props?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Puffy lipos

Originally Posted by hacker07
Well, techincally I am saying no, lol. But I guess it would depend on how puffed it is. If the case comes apart on a hard case lipo, you really shouldnt use it anymore. If it swells a little, that is pretty normal for those running in the desert.
I was using Orion 5000 45c batteries, had three. Two of the three opened up the hard case. The last one is puffed up. I used these mainly in my sc10. I bought a speed pack 5000 50c, used it twice, and now it's puffed up. I just don't want the truck to burst into a ball of fire going down the straight. The speed pack puffed in the my Losi scte. I feel like I'm spending $ on good batteries, but they r suspect.
I was also running the trucks at west coast, hardly the desert, but it was pretty warm in there.

Last edited by nEoNidas; 07-29-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

I was using Orion 5000 45c batteries, had three. Two of the three opened up the hard case. The last one is puffed up. I used these mainly in my sc10. I bought a speed pack 5000 50c, used it twice, and now it's puffed up. I just don't want the truck to burst into a ball of fire going down the straight. The speed pack puffed in the my Losi scte. I feel like I'm spending $ on good batteries, but they r suspect.
I was also running the trucks at west coast, hardly the desert, but it was pretty warm in there.
If your puffing that many packs and a new one at that too you best be checking your gearing. Sounds as though your working it too hard or your esc isnt in lipo mode (where it shuts off the power at a given voltage that is safe)
Old 07-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Let me give you my personal experience here. I tried our 40c pack and it did alright for a bit and then popped open the case. When I say it did alright, I mean the case of it rounded in 3-4 runs but then lasted for about 6 months that way and then split the case. The 60c packs we have, I have been running since I got them, so i guess about 8 months or so and they rounded but havent had a single one pop the case. So, I continue to run them. These trucks try to pull a lot of amperage out of these packs so it does stress them. High quality packs seem to be a must unless you just get plain lucky elsewhere. I would think a 50c pack would be good but at 5000mah versus a 6000mah, 60c pack, it is a lot less amps.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Definitely something else is up in your case. Lipo's should not puff up on you like that. I also use Orion's and have had great success with them.
To be honest the Turnigy packs have been extremely good especially for the $27

Check esc settings and set lipo cutoff to 3.2v..safer than using default 3.0v and better for lipo in long run. Also check and see what the lipo temp is after your main. I'd be curious to see how hot they are getting..is your motor/esc temping ok?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What generates the most heat in Speed controller, motor and battery? High speed runs or lots of short bursts as in zipping around twisty tracks stopping and starting?

I woul think that lots of brake and throttle vs long high speed runs, but whats the consensus?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by evilllempire
i just puffed a 5000 30C Blue Lipo in the SCTE with MMP/3800......how is that reading too much into this stuff?

It happens....you are lucky or you don't run your car hard enough, or both
Well maybe you had a defective pack because I drive the snot out of my SCTE.

My batteries usually come off the truck at around 120 degrees or so. Never had an issue.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Grandturk
What generates the most heat in Speed controller, motor and battery? High speed runs or lots of short bursts as in zipping around twisty tracks stopping and starting?

I woul think that lots of brake and throttle vs long high speed runs, but whats the consensus?
Brakes are by far the biggest killer of these ESC/Motor/Batteries. You pretty much always want to run the minimum brake you can at each track layout and this will greatly help keep the heat down.

This is followed by being over-geared.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Grandturk

Correct

High speeds generate more airflow......constant short burst and braking cause heat...as with any motor or electronics.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A few things to know about lipos
1. don't charge right after running your car. let the battery sit for at least 20 min to cool down before charging.
2. breaks and short blasts over heat, learn to drive in calm mode.
3. don't charge the battery and let it sit. if its not going to be used let it sit at 60%. over charging and letting it sit will puff it out.
4. using a smaller c rating then the esc can use will puff a battery..(bigger is better)
5. a heavy car or truck putting more of a strain on your motor will puff a battery.
6. a smaller motor will puff a battery if your running lets say a 10.5 when you should be running a 8.
These are just a few IMO that will do it.. there are 100 more. I am sure some one will also post a few more to help. Good Luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.