Wiki Posts
Search

New to Forum, classic Tamiya owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to Forum, classic Tamiya Vanquish owner

Hi.
New to forums So My first post is basicly a help.

I have aquired a car, a classic I believe.

I am wanting to get it back to tip top condition. I need new shocks as it sits as low as a road car and wont return. The shocks are oooold
The center distance of the shocks are as follows.
front 67mm centre ish
rear 82mm centre ish
Im wondering if I can go slightly larger without affecting handling.

Body looks origional but very tatty now and the speed thingy is suspect. It goes past the extreems and sticks from time to time. not fun as its a bloomin fast car.
Is it possible to change it from mechanical to digital without it messing up the car?

I will upload some pics and Would be very interested if anyone could tell me what they think it might be and what year.

Stu
Attached Thumbnails New to Forum, classic Tamiya owner-er1.jpg   New to Forum, classic Tamiya owner-er2.jpg   New to Forum, classic Tamiya owner-er3.jpg   New to Forum, classic Tamiya owner-er4.jpg  

Last edited by Teaman; 12-31-2010 at 02:11 AM. Reason: title
Old 12-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

It's a Tamiya Vanquish. 1990-ish. Quite an interesting car.

The shocks are probably fine. You can use spacers on the springs to increase the ride height. The Yellow ones will be a vintage part and might turn up on eBay, or you can use some black ones from the modern Tamiya shocks. Might be worth rebuilding them with fresh o-rings and oil.

You can replace the mechanical speed controller with an electronic one, no bother. Mechanical speedos are a nuisance.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Tech Rookie

not sure I dare use it now or should I say let my son near it.

gonna get new shocks as I've been hunting on fleabay but my main bug is body shell. the wing is damaged and I think I'd like to have it looking new. Sticker kits aren't a problem.

thanks very much for telling me what it is, made it easyer to find bits.

Stu
Old 12-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Oh ya brings up some memories of when I had my frog.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Rookie

As for the speed controller.

Do I need a specific one for the standard motor or can I possibly buy any.
for example, this one on fleabay
300498827361 (cant post links but that item number)

bought some shocks. 84 60mm oil damper shocks. less than 18 pounds sterling for the 4.

Still struggling with teh body shell so going to pop to the local model shop and see what they have. Failing that I shall fiddle and make a metal rear spoiler or a roll cage made from thicker guage welding rods
Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i have never heard of that esc..
i know you are in the UK but these are two inexpensive esc's that will run a stock motor down to a 19turn quite nicely.
i have used both esc's in backyard drifter cars.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Control-Esc-1

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rd-Reverse-ESC
Old 12-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i have no idea how that powertrain is.. but if you are looking for a very inexpensive stock tamiya upgrade for that buggy, you could use a black can tuned stock motor

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/ProductD...M53068&click=2

they are like 16 bucks and way nicer than that silver can motor.
there are obviously much nicer motors available but 16 bucks is a good way to go.
im willing to bet that the brushes on that silver can are shot to hell.

this is a stock tamiya esc that comes with a few tamiya kits w/ the black can motor

TEU-101BK

item 290402487276

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2904024...=263602_304662
Old 12-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok. I now have new shocks on the way plus 2 4800mah batterys +trickle chargers.
Should be enough to power the car or my tanks for enough time untill I or my son tbh gets bored.
Just bought that stock electric speed control also.(Thanks Monkee, uk fleabay had one also.)

I've been looking further into all this with the vanquish and It would appear to me that there a bit rare.

Would it be wise to sell the car rather than buy bits for it and use it as I believe it will get broke by my son.

A collector will be more carefull as they will know what they have.

If I was to sell it how much would I be looking at selling it for.

I know I'm UK but I can get an idea.
to ebay it or not to.

The batterys I've bought wont go to waste as I'd use them in my tank

Stu

Last edited by Teaman; 12-14-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: buying stuff.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 AM
Tech Rookie

well my son has loved this car and played with it for the past couple of days usingf the old ni cad batteries. new speed controller works a treat (tamiya part) but unfortunately he has just managed to break one of the front wishbone parts.
9005285 Part C.

damned if I know where to get this paert from for a non extortionate price.
Think it might be wise to just repair it and sell teh car, buy him a newer car with the money made.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Teaman
Hi.
New to forums So My first post is basicly a help.

I have aquired a car, a classic I believe.

I am wanting to get it back to tip top condition. I need new shocks as it sits as low as a road car and wont return. The shocks are oooold
The center distance of the shocks are as follows.
front 67mm centre ish
rear 82mm centre ish
Im wondering if I can go slightly larger without affecting handling.

Body looks origional but very tatty now and the speed thingy is suspect. It goes past the extreems and sticks from time to time. not fun as its a bloomin fast car.
Is it possible to change it from mechanical to digital without it messing up the car?

I will upload some pics and Would be very interested if anyone could tell me what they think it might be and what year.

Stu
Wow, i am jealous. Clean it restore it and put it on a shelf. Wait for the improved 2011 Avante.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:10 AM
Tech Rookie

been thinking now Ive actually mended it.
I shall buy him a new tamiya car or one that takes same batteries
then sell the vanquish.
Its just not worth it. If he damages anything else he's stuffed.

Anyone want to buy it?
theres one on fleabay at the moment at an unrealistic £300
if I put it on there what would be a reasonable reserve?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:59 AM
Tech Initiate

The best thing about Tamiya is how repairable thay are. Mostly black plastic so super glue works a treat.Tamiya parts are really interchangable between the models. Don't be scared to be creative, it's not like a real car which is going to hurt somebody if not done right. If you drive it and it all falls apart, so what! In my opinion, half the fun of this hobby is building, repairing and trying new things!

Alternatively to glue, Tamiya do a putty, or there is this stuff in auto motive stores.. In Australia it is called Def-con. it is a 2 part clay type material. When you mix the two parts together it goes as hard as metal and it can be filed down, sanded, drilled and painted. Simply mix the two parts together, join to or mould to the shape of the broken part with your fingers, let it set, give it a quick sand and paint. You'll never see the repair!

Mind you it has a bit of weight to it. The Midnight Pumpkin my little one uses now weighs 3 times what it used to! and it really hurts when she plows it into my feet at a 1oo miles an hour! It's like having a house brick thrown at your ankles!

Last edited by bigsimmo77; 12-31-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi! I'm kinda new to this R/C world as well, But have been involved in other R/C endeavours...I have a Vanquish that I bought almost 21 years ago while in Japan. I took it on a cruise with me and had a lot of fun with it, raced it overseas as well and did pretty well, I'd say my winnings paid for the thing. Anyway, I have an ESC/BEC/Reciever unit that needs replacing, I also need batteries, My question is what can I put into it?? The transmitter and the insides would have to be replaced with newer stuff, and I need advice, what will it take?? I would like to make it brushless, but don't know enough about the new stuff out there to make any good guesses...Can anyone help???