Brushless Question sensored vs. sensorless >

Brushless Question sensored vs. sensorless

Brushless Question sensored vs. sensorless

Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Brushless Question sensored vs. sensorless

Quick question....

Do you know What would happen if I where to hook a sensored novak motor, like an HV 7.5, up to sensorless ESC like a side winder????

Im figuring on less throttle sensitivity because of the sensor wire not being hooked up. But will the esc power the motor??
Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

yes it is, you gonna get a delay, like glich because doesnt have comunications btn motor and esc.ok so you need esc sensored
Originally Posted by Freshchester
Quick question....

Do you know What would happen if I where to hook a sensored novak motor, like an HV 7.5, up to sensorless ESC like a side winder????

Im figuring on less throttle sensitivity because of the sensor wire not being hooked up. But will the esc power the motor??
Old 10-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my understanding is that it will act like a sensorless motor. go to manufactures site and see what it says.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Quick question....

You will likely get no more delay than if you were using a regular sensorless motor with the sidewinder.

I have run a Novak 8.5 and Novak 7.5 (the 540 size cans, not the HVs) with Castle Sidewinder ESCs. They both worked fine.

There is a tradeoff with the HV7.5, though: One one hand, the lower the KV (as in the HV7.5 which is only 3000KV), the harder it is for the sidewinder to start a sensorless motor. On the other hand, because of the longer rotor, there will be better magnetic feedback (compared to a 540 size can) and that make make it easier for the ESC to start the motor. Hard to know in advance whether the effects will exactly cancel each other out of if one will predominate (compared to the higher KV 540s that I used).
Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
You will likely get no more delay than if you were using a regular sensorless motor with the sidewinder.

I have run a Novak 8.5 and Novak 7.5 (the 540 size cans, not the HVs) with Castle Sidewinder ESCs. They both worked fine.

There is a tradeoff with the HV7.5, though: One one hand, the lower the KV (as in the HV7.5 which is only 3000KV), the harder it is for the sidewinder to start a sensorless motor. On the other hand, because of the longer rotor, there will be better magnetic feedback (compared to a 540 size can) and that make make it easier for the ESC to start the motor. Hard to know in advance whether the effects will exactly cancel each other out of if one will predominate (compared to the higher KV 540s that I used).
Thanks for the info

Any thoughts on 2s vs 3s and is running this setup going to beat up either the esc or the motor???

Basically is the stuttering detrimental, or just annoying??
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Thanks for the info

Any thoughts on 2s vs 3s and is running this setup going to beat up either the esc or the motor???

Basically is the stuttering detrimental, or just annoying??
I think 3S with a HV7.5 would be too much for a sidewinder, but that is just a guess. I run a MMP and HV7.5 or HV6.5 in a CRT.5 conversion.

Stuttering is just annoying unless it gets to be excessive, then it is very damaging to ESC/Motor/Battery. Doesn't usually get "excessive" with today's controller software, but I suppose it can happen.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Addict

Yes it will delay. I tried it and that motor myself unsensored and it was undrivable.