Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phil75
Ok guys I've had terrible luck with the ball diff from this kit. I've tried to rebuild it time after time and it's sandpaper!!! So I'm switching to the gear diff. I don't care if i costs me seconds or not!! Just ordered losi's complete gear diff (losa2954) and have a few questions.

1. Is this diff ready to bolt in and ready to race??
2. Does it have fluid or grease In it?
3. What do i need to do to make it the best it can be??

Thanks
I just installed the same gear diff in my 22.

All 3 questions are basically tied to the same answer.

It does come completely assembled with diff fluid in it. It is completely ready to run as is. In my case, I wasn't sure what weight fluid comes pre-installed. So I rebuilt it before installing it in my car and put 3k weight fluid in it. 3k fluid felt about the same as a properly built/set ball diff.

As far as improving on it, the only real option is to change fluid to suit your track/style.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Couple pics of mine--Paint by Off-the-Hwal--

Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Milk50

It does come completely assembled with diff fluid in it. It is completely ready to run as is. In my case, I wasn't sure what weight fluid comes pre-installed. So I rebuilt it before installing it in my car and put 3k weight fluid in it. 3k fluid felt about the same as a properly built/set ball diff.

As far as improving on it, the only real option is to change fluid to suit your track/style.
Thanks for the response on this as I have been dealing with the same issues with my ball diff and I would like something that is a little more reliable and will last longer than one day of racing.

Follow-on question... do we actually know what fluid the diff comes stock with??

When you rebuilt it with 3K weight fluid, how much did you put into the diff itself? Just trying to make sure that I don't put too much or too little in. What do you recommend?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Does a gear diff need broken in?? If so how do i do this??
Old 02-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by phil75
Does a gear diff need broken in?? If so how do i do this??
No I don't believe that you would follow the same type of process of breaking in a ball diff. It is my understanding that the gear diffs are good to go once they have the fluid of your choosing in them.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mdutcher
Thanks for the response on this as I have been dealing with the same issues with my ball diff and I would like something that is a little more reliable and will last longer than one day of racing.

Follow-on question... do we actually know what fluid the diff comes stock with??

When you rebuilt it with 3K weight fluid, how much did you put into the diff itself? Just trying to make sure that I don't put too much or too little in. What do you recommend?

Thanks!
Again, no idea what comes stock. I asked around and didnt get an answer, so I just replaced the fluid.

I filled the cup 25% before I put the gears in. Then filled it up to 80% and put the other out drive back on.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sean B.
I find the ceramic thrust balls get just as notchy as the standard ones after a certain amount of rebuilds. They may last a bit longer. I couldn't recommend, or justify the price of the Bfast stuff to anyone. Its just not necessary.

As long as you have good carbide balls, prep your rings good, and break in and set the diff properly, it will be very smooth and lasting
I have had the same set of BFast ceramic thrust balls in my car since I built it in April of last year. I just rebuilt my diff a couple weeks ago, and after running a couple weekends (including triple A's at the local trophy race), it is still as smooth as the day I rebuilt it. One thing that may lend to the thrust balls in my diffs lasting so long is that I burnish my thrust washers. I think this is key to keeping the thrust balls in good condition. That and a liberal amount of black grease.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by h8thatadmin
I have had the same set of BFast ceramic thrust balls in my car since I built it in April of last year. I just rebuilt my diff a couple weeks ago, and after running a couple weekends (including triple A's at the local trophy race), it is still as smooth as the day I rebuilt it. One thing that may lend to the thrust balls in my diffs lasting so long is that I burnish my thrust washers. I think this is key to keeping the thrust balls in good condition. That and a liberal amount of black grease.
What motor?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by e_lu_sive1
yeah i use it on all my rigs..good to go
Cheers^^^

BTW theres some nice lookin buggy in here
Old 02-29-2012, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

After reading page after page of ball diff questions, suggestions, tips, tricks, and work arounds for the 22, I would like to make a few observations.

Most of the people here fall into two groups. Those who have years of experience with ball diffs and those that don't.

Most of the posts from people without any ball diff issues also boast about their years of experience, and usually suggest the person with a problem ask a local pro to help them out. There again the solution seems to be to have the person without experience or knowledge seek out a person who has both.

The second group of which I am a member, know how to build a diff, but lack the "feel" to get it right and thus prolong the life of the diff. So we build and rebuild our diffs, try parts from other manufactures, after market suppliers, and generally waist our money trying to get it right. Then when we get it right, it does not last very long.

My questions are... Has anyone with little diff experience ever "got it right" and been happy over a period of time with their diff build? Is all of this trouble with building the diff correctly a Losi issue, or a hobby wide issue? To answer part of my own question, I have never spent as much time on a diff as I have with the 22. But to look on the bright side I am getting that much needed "experience".

And finally, I suggest Losi make a prebuilt, pre "broken in" diff that the rest of us can use and enjoy without issue.Or maybe a diff building service where you send your diff in, and get it back ready to go.

Gotta go. Time to rebuild my diff, again. This time I am going to follow one of the how to videos and see if that helps.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zipperfoot
After reading page after page of ball diff questions, suggestions, tips, tricks, and work arounds for the 22, I would like to make a few observations.

Most of the people here fall into two groups. Those who have years of experience with ball diffs and those that don't.

Most of the posts from people without any ball diff issues also boast about their years of experience, and usually suggest the person with a problem ask a local pro to help them out. There again the solution seems to be to have the person without experience or knowledge seek out a person who has both.

The second group of which I am a member, know how to build a diff, but lack the "feel" to get it right and thus prolong the life of the diff. So we build and rebuild our diffs, try parts from other manufactures, after market suppliers, and generally waist our money trying to get it right. Then when we get it right, it does not last very long.

My questions are... Has anyone with little diff experience ever "got it right" and been happy over a period of time with their diff build? Is all of this trouble with building the diff correctly a Losi issue, or a hobby wide issue? To answer part of my own question, I have never spent as much time on a diff as I have with the 22. But to look on the bright side I am getting that much needed "experience".

And finally, I suggest Losi make a prebuilt, pre "broken in" diff that the rest of us can use and enjoy without issue.Or maybe a diff building service where you send your diff in, and get it back ready to go.

Gotta go. Time to rebuild my diff, again. This time I am going to follow one of the how to videos and see if that helps.
Good post, I will say this..I have a few years under my belt, and have used ball diffs for most all of them, and this (22 diff) seems the most sensitive one of the lot. I did notice this when I rebuilt the last one. The 2 center gear bearings are not exactly a precision fit on the outdrive. I dont know if this causes an issue, but I haven't noticed it on other brands before..Raises a question in my mind..
Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have great luck with.

12 ball xxx gear
AE carbide diff balls
AE thrust washers and balls

Everything else stock from the 22. Then break it in and set it per the Castellano method on youtube. Dont bark it The better the break in the longer it will last.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dmatter
I have great luck with.

12 ball xxx gear
AE carbide diff balls
AE thrust washers and balls

Everything else stock from the 22. Then break it in and set it per the Castellano method on youtube. Dont bark it The better the break in the longer it will last.
+1. Since I went to the 12 ball gear my diff has lasted a lot longer. 3 months racing weekly and it's still smooth.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Personally I haven't had any issues what so ever with the stock ball diffs from the 22, in both my rear and mid motor buggies. I wish there were a simple answer to help.
Even with the stock original parts, my diffs normally last very long (months) and I race every weekend. Carbide diff balls and thrust balls will extend the life of your diff greatly. What I can suggest is that if you are having difficulties with the ball diff, or are not very experienced with the ball diff and want a great solution to the problem, try and get the gear diff from the RTR 22 version.
I bought an entire gear diff to test (so that I can say I have personal experience with it) and the gear diff functions extremely well. My lap times did not change a bit from my normal ball diff lap times on a hard packed clay med-high bite track. The one thing different that I did notice with the gear diff on this med-high bite track is that I had a tad bit more rear bite in the car under acceleration.
So if you are having problems, issues, or lack in experience with a ball diff you might want to give a gear diff a try! Plus there is a lot less maintenance and you don't ever have to worry about your diff slipping then.

For reference I'd like to post the gear diff I bought was straight out of an RTR kit, as it was brand new & pre-built, so I do not know what fluid came with the pre-built kits. Hopefully someone from TLR can tell us what fluid it comes with as it worked very well.

TLR22 Gear Diff PN. losa2954

Last edited by Ruffy; 02-29-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Again, no idea what comes stock. I asked around and didnt get an answer, so I just replaced the fluid.

I filled the cup 25% before I put the gears in. Then filled it up to 80% and put the other out drive back on.
I just filled the diff to just over the gears--not full. There's no breakin, I'm running 2000 wt for a highbite track and love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.